I really love Tom's distorted tone, especially his stuff on The Battle Of Los Angeles. I want a tone similar to that of Bulls On Parade or Testify, that smooth yet heavy distortion. How could I achieve this tone via Stompbox / pedal?
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Last edited by Kartman at Oct 21, 2007,
crank a JCM800...thats the base
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by blue_strat

+1 . Get a JCM800, and that's all, he uses only built-in distortion. Check what pickups he uses too, I know that he likes to mod his gear.

EDIT:
I've found that he uses EMG pickups, furthermore when he uses JCM800 he plays only on the overdrive channel and to make clean sound he turns the volume knob. That should help you a bit.
Last edited by zombiak at Oct 21, 2007,
If you want his exact tone, prepare to have a lot of pedals lying around
ohai little sig.
It's actually a fairly straightforward Marshall-type sound. The trick is not to pile on the gain, and leave plenty of mids in there.
A quite nice trick is to play Rage riffs while using a Whammy pedal or an octaver to double your notes an octave lower. It really helps simulate how tight Tom and whatever the bassist's name was were together.
I have a Marshall Guv'nor 2 distortion pedal. It pretty much nails his plain old distorted sound. he used a marshall. but you have to take into account all the other effects he used. crazy. idk how close a good multi affects unit could get?
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Demetri martin- My computer once beat me at a game of chess, but then I beat it at a game of kickboxing.
CRANK DAT' JCM 800.

heh.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Tom actually doesn't use alot of pedals.
Wah
Whammy
Phase/Flange
Delay
Tremelo
EQ Pedal

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by rhymeswith suck
Tom actually doesn't use alot of pedals.
Wah
Whammy
Phase/Flange
Delay
Tremelo
EQ Pedal

That's true; that's what I love about Tom.

And thanks for all the replies guys. Are there any other pedals besides the Marshall Guv'nor that get that sound?
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by fLYinGV23
damn man to get that kinda tone, ure gunna need ALOT of pedals...

No. He doesn't actually use a lot of pedals.
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
I thought he used a JCM2000?
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Don't listen to the peeps saying he has a ton of pedals. He doesn't, he just uses the ones he does have really well.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
He also uses the neck pickup on most of his guitars, except "Arm The Homeless" afaik.
JCM800 2205 head (50 watts, two channels).

he cranks the amp and uses his neck pickup, unless he needs something really hot, which he'll switch to the bridge for.

Also, his clean tone, is just his dirty tone with the volume rolled back so that it's at like 1.

If you can't afford the JCM800, then i'd say get a DS-1 or a Tubescreamer (if you got a tube amp), and use them for the tone.

Due to my ****ty amp, i use the DS-1 and get a pretty good TM tone out of it.