can you guys tell me about the methods to slap bass, I find it easier to slap with my thumb pointing down to the ground but I see a lot of people using the thumbs up method.. which would you recommend?
I put my thumb along the string, however im a guitarist by nature so my opinion isn't a great one.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Yeah, if your way works for you, then use that method.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
as long as you get the sound and the pop is accessible for you its however you feel most comfortable
My thumb is usually more or less parallel to the string. Just do whatever the hell you want.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I'm either parallel to the string or pointing down. Though it's whatever works for you.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
Slap would be where you hit the string with your thumb, or in rare cases you index and middle fingers, instead of plucking it. The string bounces of the frets or the fretboards and you get the most beautiful effect in the history of the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vdJvHE8qxA

That has some slap guitar.
how would you di it pointing your thumb down?
that seems like it would be undoable or EXTREMLY akward
unless im picturing it wrong

and vic wooten double thump, is that actually slap or a whole different techneque.....ive never been to sure on that

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Narcotics

and vic wooten double thump, is that actually slap or a whole different techneque.....ive never been to sure on that

Double thumping isn't slapping. Open Hammer Pluck (Technique he uses in Me and my bass guitar) is though.
I slap with my thumb not straight up but not parallel with the strings

Find whats comfortable for you
Quote by Narcotics

the way flea does it, its easier than trying to do it the other way if your strap is really low
I used to play with a really long strap...until I discovered slap! I play with my thumb pointed slightly up (i.e with the ball of my thumb roughly level with the A-string), I find it helps with mobility. That way I can slap or thumb any of the 4 strings if I need to.
It also means my wrist does the bulk of the work, which I feel makes me faster and more accurate. It's just my self-taught way, tho; there's a couple of passages in my mp3, and a pic which shows my playing height/angle if you want...
Anyhoo, +1 to doing what's right for you!
I slap slightly parallel to the strings. The most important thing is to do what's comfortable and what allows you an efficient and fluid progression to the pop.
I play with my thumb 45 degrees to the strings. Perfectly in between.

Just what's comfortable.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by d K A p S
can you guys tell me about the methods to slap bass, I find it easier to slap with my thumb pointing down to the ground but I see a lot of people using the thumbs up method.. which would you recommend?

(I´m from sweden so i´m not god att spelling)Hey! I serched on (Basic Slapping Techniques for Bass Guitar: Beginner Lesson) on www.youtube.com I think he´s very good to learn out bass slapping. PS. bass slapping is ****ing awesome!