I think it sounds better instead of tapping on the neck with your fingers, you use a pick. Does anyone have like any tips on how I can do this? I suck at it . I got the idea from Joe Satriani.
Finger tapping is easier and faster. And i think it would be hard to hit the string hard enuff with ur pick.
you dont need to tap hard at all with a pick to get a good sound. it takes a lot less strength to tap with a pick than your fingers. you just got keep practicing it, it will get easier. try to not change the position of your pick when you go to tap. try holding the pick the same, and turning your hand to attack the string right.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
Just search "joe satrinani surfing" on youtube and its got a lesson video where he shwos you how he does the technique.
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Pick tapping and finger tapping are very different techniques.
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
I just takes practice. It's worth learning though. I prefer to use my pick for tapping live, because that way I always keep a hold of it and transitions between picking & tapping stay smooth.

That and every time I've finger live, I've lost my pick. I even swallowed one once. Then vomited all over my amp.

I miss high school
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
I gerarally use a pick to do tapping a lot cleaner sounds if you ask me.
my gear:
jackson dk2m
ibanez grg170dx.
peavey vyper 15
warwick corvette 5 string
ashdown 5 15
I use my pick occasionally, normally if I'm playing a really fast tapping passage on the really higher-up frets where the smaller edge of the pick is advantageous.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Actually live I think Hammet finger taps the fast part on that solo... Not sure about the album though
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

One is finger tapped, in fact all metallica tapping is done with his finger. the reason i like finger tapping better, is that you dont have to move your pick or hand very much. just keep your pick where it is, and use your middle finger to tap. there is no need to put the pick in your mouth or anything like that.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
Quote by headfest88
One is finger tapped, in fact all metallica tapping is done with his finger. the reason i like finger tapping better, is that you dont have to move your pick or hand very much. just keep your pick where it is, and use your middle finger to tap. there is no need to put the pick in your mouth or anything like that.

I don't see how that's an advantage over pick-tapping, because you don't put your pick in your mouth to pick tap either. You just hold onto it and turn your hand slightly.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I don't like the song of pick tapping....I'll worry about switching when I have to tap with four fingers since I have three free fingers now....Does anyone actually put their pick in their mouth to tap during a song?....I keep the pick in my hand and use my middle finger for most tapping and I've started putting my ring finger in sometimes...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I don't like the song of pick tapping....I'll worry about switching when I have to tap with four fingers since I have three free fingers now....Does anyone actually put their pick in their mouth to tap during a song?....I keep the pick in my hand and use my middle finger for most tapping and I've started putting my ring finger in sometimes...

Yeah, that's what I do.