And the question is:

When the batteries run out, what happens?

Do they behave like passive pickups, or just 'die'?
Fler Ismaskiner!
They have far to low output to function like passives.

They 'die'.

However, you get hundreds of hours of batterylife, so just swap the battery every 6 months or so and before big shows if you want to be careful .Should be able to go a year fine on a single battery though.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
its a good thing i opened this thread, im getting a schecter deluxe 5 next week and i would be pissed if it died and i didn know why
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
emgs have a battery life of 3000 hours i believe. so switching the battery every 6 months or so or before big shows would be good. i personally wouldnt worry about, just switch it out on your birthday and half-birthday if you'd like. oh, i knew a guy who would switch them out after every show, which is a little redundant
Average battery life on active pickups is 3000 hours, and the battery wont be used unless you plug a cord in your bass.

And you'll notice when the battery runs out =p
I almost a thread about this the other day, cause I left the cable in my bass over night, but I'm really glad this thread was made.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by JaeSwift
Average battery life on active pickups is 3000 hours, and the battery wont be used unless you plug a cord in your bass.

And you'll notice when the battery runs out =p

...i'm going to go take the cable out of my bass now.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
On most active basses, you can hear when the batteries start to die. You will start to lose tone quality and then it will sound will distort and then fade, then die.

And always have a spare battery in your case and if you have a big show, change it before the show. Batteries can be variable in their shelf life and you don't want it dying mid-performance.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I almost a thread about this the other day, cause I left the cable in my bass over night, but I'm really glad this thread was made.

Yeah, anything that uses a battery - bass, pedal, whatever - don't leave your cable in it when you're not using it. I even take mine out of my pedals when we're ahving a lull at practice.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You don't have to be a big Nazi with it or anything. If you want to go take a twenty minute break you can leave it in. Just don't leave it in over night or over prolonged periods of disuse.

That's true, too... But I'm just really careful about that stuff.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
I change mine every time i change my strings.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
On my Warwick, the signal just crackles a bit when it starts to die. You could probably at least finish a gig with a dying battery.

I also think the battery is only in use when the guitar lead plugged into the bass.

It's nothing to be paranoid over.
Quote by Geekis_Khan
Yeah, anything that uses a battery - bass, pedal, whatever - don't leave your cable in it when you're not using it. I even take mine out of my pedals when we're ahving a lull at practice.

That's true, too... But I'm just really careful about that stuff.

Whoa, pedals die with the cable in, but the actual pedal not active?
Quote by CurbstompBass
Whoa, pedals die with the cable in, but the actual pedal not active?

Aye when the cable is in a pedal input the pedal is on 'standby' sorta, and then just turned on when you press it down, if you get me.

So the battery still drains.
Quote by chocolateman900
Aye when the cable is in a pedal input the pedal is on 'standby' sorta, and then just turned on when you press it down, if you get me.

So that's why I've been going through 9-volts so fast.

Thanks, you just saved me hundreds of dollars in batteries.
Quote by chocolateman900

Yep, hit the nail on the head.

Pedals drain battery's a LOT faster than pickups tho. Pickups and battery's have about 3000 hour of life to them, pedals (The max I have ever seen) 800.

Average for a boss pedal is around 100 tho if you ask me <_<. But 3000 hours is a lot, you can indeed let it in for 20 minutes if your not using the bass, you won't really notice. If your not sure of how long ago it was that you changed the battery in your guitar before a gig, I do recommend putting a new one in.

Oh and, make sure there's some anti-static foam (at the least) between the battery and the rest of the wiring, you could cause a short circuit otherwise. A thick layer of painting tape will work also, and you dont have to worry about anything aslong as the battery isnt in contact with wires/pots =p
Last edited by JaeSwift at Oct 22, 2007,
you get a very quiet fuzzy distorted sound that is very farty and very low low output. batter changes are easy as cake and battery life on most active basses is insain you probably will have to change it 1-2 times a year (3 at most) eve nif you practice alot and gig like crazy.(just remember to unplug when you finish playing. if you have to set the bass down for about 30 mins dont worry about unplugging it but for several hours dont forget.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E