OK, this has been bugging me for a while because all my reasons contradict themselves

Some people say that metal is all about the thrash drumming, the screaming/grunting/whatever, the dual solos, the breakdowns, everything, but when some songs have these people say they are not metal

For example, no-one on the planet is going to deny that Iron Maiden are metal, but they don't scream and they don't have heavy riffs or anything like that. So what do Iron Maiden have in common with a band such as Cannibal Corpse?

I know there are LOADS of different types of metal; black, thrash, death, and debateably, metalcore. but what are the actual DEFINITIVE reasons that make a song metal? I mean, a guy in my school said Bring Me The Horizon aren't metal because Oli Sykes thinks he's heavier than he actually is They don't exactly play pop punk do they?

So without raging on and on and on about how some bands aren't metal and how they're **** and bla bla bla

WHAT MAKES METAL THE GREATEST MUSIC ON EARTH?
genres are gay, dont waste your time thinking about what makes metal metal, go out and buy music that you like, to hell with anyones opinions its your musical taste not theirs
Black is heavy and atmospheric...

Death is technical and has high tempos, a range of vocals...

Thrash is known to be simple, fast tempos and fast powerful drumming...

Etc. There's nothing more to do it than that really when you put your mind to it.
Without just saying 'because they're ****', why is it that bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Atreyu aren't counted as metal? Is it to due with the lyrics or something?
Guitars that play 'Duh-nah du-duh-nah judjud-judjud.' followed by 'widdly-widdly-wahhhh-diddly-dun-dun'.

'Wah-nah-jud! wah-nah-jud! Judjud! Judjud!'

\m/ br00talzz!!
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
metal is to general, but there is sub genres, like death metal, black, power, nwobhm, metal-core, thrash. i usually dont follow these sub genres and they do tend to get silly after awhile, like math-core or shoe gazing, wtf eh?
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Heavy, drop-tuned, as-much-gain-as-possibe guitar sound, heavy, slow, sludgy riffs, crazy, over-the-top vocals having to do with death, dying, immense physical pain, or politics. Lightning-flashy, pulse-pounding drums, and the lowest bass sound u can find. Thats metal.
some attempt to be heavy in some way. genre-ising is just people's way to communicate different general styles of music to dumbasses
For me, metal is Judas Priest, Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden. Those bands all tend to have loud, fast riffs that make you want to jump up out of your seat and kick stuff over. They also aren't obsessed with acting like a bunch of bad ass mother effers...they are because of how they play.

So, metal is something you can't choose to be....you gotta play it to be it and I don't see much of that today.
Metal in general is quite harsh, explicit in imagery and is much more technical in terms of song structure, tempo, rhythm and instrumental prowess
ohai little sig.
Quote by STABxYOU
Guitars that play 'Duh-nah du-duh-nah judjud-judjud.' followed by 'widdly-widdly-wahhhh-diddly-dun-dun'.

\m/ br00talzz!!

lol QFT
Quote by qotsa1998
Heavy, drop-tuned, as-much-gain-as-possibe guitar sound, heavy, slow, sludgy riffs, crazy, over-the-top vocals having to do with death, dying, immense physical pain, or politics. Lightning-flashy, pulse-pounding drums, and the lowest bass sound u can find. Thats metal.

That's got Maiden written all over it...

That's why I'm confused, because you can't place every metal band into one description because you get so many which are completely different
its a band with someone who knows how to sing, and brings out the high pitched, YEEAAA~~~~~!!!!! now and then, usually has a blazing solo, few fast licks, but also a bend that lasts a few seconds for feeling cause its a real solo and it has meaning, with drummers who know more than just double bass and snare every 16th beat, and a bassist who doesnt just do root notes
also on a quick note anyone who agrees with this statement should be murdered in the most horrible way:

Gallows are better than Machine Head

One of my friends ACTUALLY said that. I'm thinking about stabbing him
Quote by STABxYOU

\m/ br00talzz!!

Actually the second line "'widdly-widdly-wahhhh-diddly-dun-dun'." can be made into 'widdly-wah-widdly-wahhhh-diddly-dun-dun'., but if it's over-done it might fall into progressive.

You could look on Wikipedia for metal and it's million gay sub-genres.
Quote by Vermintide
The consensus of the UG Metal forum, apparently.

Anyway, I bet this thread will get closed.

They are the masters of metal, don't ya know?
Spiral Out
Quote by STABxYOU

\m/ br00talzz!!

now THIS is sig-worthy!
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
Metal for me is:
Generally loud music which usually utilises a band arrangement of a guitarist, bassist, singer and a drummer. lyrical themes tend to be dark and the sound is aggressive. It makes you feel great to listen to because the aggression is taken out of you through the music. It generally requires a high level of techical playing from all instruments and good singing, unlike other genres of music which can get away with some instruments not playing very interesting things. Great live performances are generally essential.

I think that sums up all of metal and its sub-genres well.....and it disturbingly sounds like a wikipedia article.
Quote by Ardius
Metal for me is:
Generally loud music which usually utilises a band arrangement of a guitarist, bassist, singer and a drummer. lyrical themes tend to be dark and the sound is aggressive. It makes you feel great to listen to because the aggression is taken out of you through the music. It generally requires a high level of techical playing from all instruments and good singing, unlike other genres of music which can get away with some instruments not playing very interesting things. Great live performances are generally essential.

I think that sums up all of metal and its sub-genres well.....and it disturbingly sounds like a wikipedia article.

Not bad...
Quote by Ardius
Metal for me is:

I checked just to make sure you didn't rip it off, 'cause those first two lines look a little too smart to be in a forum.
It's only Metal if Snyper confirms it.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
Iron Maiden and Cannibal Corpse are posers, they are not metal
Disturbed and Linkin Park are real metal, crushing riffs and brutal vocals \m/
My sig is better than yours