i just got a 5-string BC Rich Zombie and love it. my only qualm is that it some songs seem harder to play on it, due to me being unused to the fifth string and the others being closer together. i try to play at least an hour a day, and the problem is shrinking, but still annoying. i don't see my teacher for 2 weeks due to 2 dumb coincidences, so i was wondering, does anyone know any scales, songs or techniques to get used to it faster? or should i just keep playing?
EDIT: in case this matters i play classic rock, metal and punk.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Last edited by The Evil Hat at Oct 21, 2007,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
just keep playing, and extend your scales below the root.

Pretty much what he said. Now, try a 6-string like I did, and it's even worse... I still can't play 100% as good as on a 4-string. Uhmm... as far as songs, find any song in Drop D, but don't drop the E, and play it on the B string...
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
play scales over the full two octaves. Other than that, just keep practicing.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Robb987123Bass
Pretty much what he said. Now, try a 6-string like I did, and it's even worse... I still can't play 100% as good as on a 4-string. Uhmm... as far as songs, find any song in Drop D, but don't drop the E, and play it on the B string...

People always say that, but NO.

It is not anathema to go to drop D when you get a fiver. In fact, some things are impossible to do unless you drop tune.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
People always say that, but NO.

It is not anathema to go to drop D when you get a fiver. In fact, some things are impossible to do unless you drop tune.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but like what? I've never had that problem before.
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:

Amp:

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Quote by Robb987123Bass
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but like what? I've never had that problem before.

For example, a pull off to the open D run in 16ths at stupid bpm, noticing that the TS likes to play metal. A lot of riffage in metal is hard, and if it's drop tuned, it's drop tuned for a reason.
Robb987123Bass....0
DeleriumBassist...1

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Delirium is absolutely right. Imagine playing the following at 230 BPM in standard tuning:

|--------3-------|
F: --------------------11-12-14---------
C: 12-0-0-10-0-0-5-8-7----------10-12-13-
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

that 3rd fret on the C i think it is supposed to be looks like it would be rediculusly hard to get in any tuning

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Quote by Narcotics
that 3rd fret on the C i think it is supposed to be looks like it would be rediculusly hard to get in any tuning

That's my crappy triplet notation

But yeah, that would be rather difficult to get to regardless
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

thanks guys, i'm going to keep playing and focus on scales and the like. when i first saw Confused's post i first saw the notes, i assumed it was a scale or song...my expression was one of horror

i know this isnt specifically related to the original question, but i don't want to make 2 threads about a similar thing. my local music store doesn't have any B-strings. would a larger store like sam ash have them, or should i order them online?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It's not about someone winning, it's about learning something.

t'was a joke

Decided to get the BC Rich after all. For songs, you could try Unearth, Primus, Dream Theater, Korn, 311. Pantera and RHCP did have some songs that used five strings.
Quote by tubab0y
Real bassists play with their penis.

Wait, that came out wrong...

Quote by The Evil Hat
when i first saw Confused's post i first saw the notes, i assumed it was a scale or song...my expression was one of horror

Domination by Symphony X...damn good song by a damn good band
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

Quote by Evil_Jim43
Decided to get the BC Rich after all. For songs, you could try Unearth, Primus, Dream Theater, Korn, 311. Pantera and RHCP did have some songs that used five strings.

yeah, i was in the middle, then i met a friend's cousin who is in a metal band and played his zombie, and i just had to go for it. so far i got no regrets. and to confused, i just realized i read that all wrong. somehow i read the "10"s as "1"s i still dont get the three, though, lol.
I even said that I wasn't disagreeing with him. I don't play metal, so I would never have tried that. I mainly got my 6-string just to add range to my fretboard, and so I don't have to detune (I find it a hassle if I play songs that are in standard and drop D)

And as far as what you posted, Confused, with that riff, there are ways to easily play it without detuning, like play it up on the next string so your hand only has to move across. Thats what I do, and I find it easier to do that than to move my hand around the fretboard. However, in that case you needed to... tune up, it looks like, to get that C on a 5-string. However, that is just my preference and opinion, and every bassist is entitled to have theirs.
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:

Amp:

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Quote by Robb987123Bass

And as far as what you posted, Confused, with that riff, there are ways to easily play it without detuning, like play it up on the next string so your hand only has to move across. Thats what I do, and I find it easier to do that than to move my hand around the fretboard.

Something about the string changes at that speed makes my head explode. Part of the reason why YYZ is so damn hard for me.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

Quote by Confused4930
Something about the string changes at that speed makes my head explode. Part of the reason why YYZ is so damn hard for me.

Maybe it's the way I learned bass, but I'd take string changes over going up and down one string anytime!
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:

Amp:

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Quote by Robb987123Bass
Maybe it's the way I learned bass, but I'd take string changes over going up and down one string anytime!

Oh I share the feeling...but at 230 bpm I have a slightly different mindset. It's simpler to keep the open string going and go down the string.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

Quote by Robb987123Bass

yeah, for me its easier to switch strings then to dive across the fretobard and back, accurately at least .