Hihi, i got a quick problem, hoping some1 can possibly help me out, if this question has been answered be4, im sorry, i just joined the site so i didnt get a chance to check up on the topic ='(.

I play a schecter C-1 Hellraise, with active EMG 81/85 pickups, and im having just a bit of a problem. I get alot of feedback and string buzz when i play, im guessing the strings are just super-sensitive since they are actives, but i was wondering if there is anyway to lower this in any way, like increasing the action or anything. ANY info would be very much appreciated.

Its annoying cuz i can play on it, but everything sounds relativly sloppy at times. Like, for example, say im bending a note on the b string, if my finger grazes the G string above it, ill hear the G string ring.

Sorry if i sound noobish or anything, i havent been playing TOO long at all, plz dont flame me ='(

thanks in advance =)

~Sele
Playing with a lot of gain (which it sounds like you're doing) emphasizes string noise. Learning to avoid/mute the other strings is part of learning to control your instrument. If you're getting fret buzz (check it clean too), then you either need to raise the action or level the frets.

I doubt the active pickups are really a huge part of your problem, but if you know how the 18 volt mod is always cool to do for increased headroom.
Quote by Swimrunner
Playing with a lot of gain (which it sounds like you're doing) emphasizes string noise. Learning to avoid/mute the other strings is part of learning to control your instrument. If you're getting fret buzz (check it clean too), then you either need to raise the action or level the frets.

I doubt the active pickups are really a huge part of your problem, but if you know how the 18 volt mod is always cool to do for increased headroom.

awesome, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated, ima try lowering the gain and checking it out, thanks =)
lower the gain? what if you wanna play at high gains?

You need to learn to mute out other strings when playing
Try playing around with gain and your guitar's volume control. As said, learning to mute strings not played on is an essential part of learning to master the instrument.
I'm a communist. Really.
I use both hands to mute the strings.

My fretting hand mutes the strings below the string I'm picking. Usually this means laying my index or pinky finger across the lower strings.

The side of my thumb of my picking hand mutes the strings above the string I'm picking.

It doesn't work for every circumstance, but this basic technique should go a long way to cleaning up your playing.
Alot of the time people use more gain than they need, and lowering it even by 1 or 2 won't affect the distortion of the sound but will make your playing soud better,
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

k with the emg 81/85's
i know they need batterys
but i heard from someone you have to do some sort of mod to your guitar
is it anything major?