I know that playing a bass through a guitar amp is a bad idea, but I was wondering, how low can a guitar amp generally go?

I was wondering because I was planning on setting up one of my guitars two steps down from standard.

Would this be just as bad as playing a bass through it?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
No all guitar amps can handle guitar tunings, but when you start getting octaves lower then you need a bass amp to handle the lower frequencies.
2 steps from standard? hahah that isn't low.

also. you can play a bass on a guitar amp just fine. it just won't have quality sound because the amp isn't meant to handle the lower frequencies from the bass

There won't be any problem playing D through the amp.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
guitar amps go as low as ten
and no it wont screw up your amp if you downtune your guitar
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Absolutley Not!! I wouldnt say its good for your amp but ive played on my crate amp for years. And i play metal mostly in Drop B flat and its fine..
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON

also. you can play a bass on a guitar amp just fine. it just won't have quality sound because the amp isn't meant to handle the lower frequencies from the bass

2 steps is C.

It should be fine, I've got a guitar set up for C and a really bass heavy amp and it's fine playing loud enough to shake the furniture in the room next door.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
That is great example of a stupid question. But seriously, it's fine. Nile tunes to F standard, and there's always those guitars that have an extra string tuned to B...
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON

Actually, my roommate blew his amp (well, the speaker anyway) playing his bass through it. I suppose it'd be more dependent on the speaker inside the amp though.

I just never went lower than drop D tuning before, and although my amps aren't probably considered PRICEY by a few people, they were pricey to me and I'd hate to squeeze my funds further having to replace/repair for something a little knowledge would prevent.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
2 steps is C.

haha my mistake. I often confuse full steps with half steps
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by party_on_wayne
That is great example of a stupid question. But seriously, it's fine. Nile tunes to F standard, and there's always those guitars that have an extra string tuned to B...

F standard?

I hope by that you mean drop A.

Seriously, as long as you have a well build speaker enclosure you should be absolutely fine.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by party_on_wayne

This is a great example of an idiot reply to my "stupid" question.

I've looked, and search isn't working here. I've been playing less than a year, how does one know when they don't ask?
2 steps should be fine. If you really want to get technical though. Look at what the speaker is rated for (frequency wise, measured in hz) then figure out the lowest freq you'd be putting through it. This can get pretty hairy, so I'll just do it instead of telling you how ti digure it out.

A "C" which is 2 steps below E is about 207hz, so if your speaker is rated for down to 200hz or so I'd say you'd be fine. Now, of course you could just call up a music store but if you wanna know whats happening look it up on goggle or wikipedia or something. peace
Quote by party_on_wayne

Stop being a douche. I know you know absolutely everything about guitars now, but i'm sure there was a time when you didn't.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Should be fine, but cheep 8" speakers might not respond well to it.

It's being played through an Epiphone Valve Standard, 12" speaker. Don't know if I'm just not looking in the right places, but I can't find much in the way of information regarding the speaker for it. It's stock.