Page 1 of 2
and so far ive narrowed it down to these 2- first, second. any other suggestions are welcome, but i'd like it to stay under $300 for everything, pref around $250. anyway, i shower the second one to one of my friends at school that is a guitar player, andthen today i saw the first one and thought it looked pretty cool. so what do you think? is one any better than the other? second thing- i remember my friend said something about the pickups being better if theyr hand done than machine done, is either one of those hand? and third- if (hopefully when) i do get a guitar, what kind of stuff do i need to hook it up to my computer? and i dont wana spend hundreds of dollars for recording stuff, to start off ill just be a hobbyist and might wana record some stuff in garageband. thanks for the help.
go with the first one. especially since you're just starting. If you get the hang of playing and like it a lot, step up to a bigger amp and a better guitar
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
1. It's your opinion. I think the second one looks better
2. Nope, they are all crap. But it shouldn't matter so much at this stage.
3. USB connector thing. Costs 150+ usually. But normally people record by mics.

If you are looking to get into a band. You WILL need to upgrade your guitar and amp in the future. This is just your first guitar. So it doesn't really matter which one you go for. Personally I'd go for the second one as Gio is better than whatever the first one is.

What style do you play (or most likely to play?)

Another thing. You might get more if you go used. Check out your local guitar stores and eBay for used guitars.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

You could get by with one of those starter packs, but if you saved up a little more money you could get the stuff seperately and it would run circles any sort of starter pack in terms of quality. Something like a Ibanez 321 for a guitar and a Roland Microcube for an amp...

EDIT: I agree with p.stick about going used. Never hurts...
the usb recorder need not cost over 40. its not the greatest quality but fine for mp3's

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/computer-hardware-usb-sound-recording-cards-audio-interfaces?N=100001%2b309115&Ns=P_Price%7c0&page=1

I would get the first package.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
Yamaha Pacifica and Roland Microcube. Peavey Backstage and Silvertone SSL. Or mix and match.
fr design you are crazy!! dont listen to him he has an MG!!! lol.

first of all starter packs are usually a great deal, giving you a better guitar than you could normally get for the price.
and second of all the epi you suggest is pretty mediocre, and the amp not good for a beginner, I recommend either of the ibanez packs, or a roland cube and either yamaha pacifica or ibanez.
these brands are both highly versatile, giving him options for more styles, where the epi valve combo has no effects or tone circuit. its a good amp but might cost him for the pedals, since he seems to be a metal guy. cube is better for that, and the LP special is probably not the best pick for most metal styles.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
or was it 9...
yeah 10
Quote by rhakiath
fr design you are crazy!! dont listen to him he has an MG!!! lol.

first of all starter packs are usually a great deal, giving you a better guitar than you could normally get for the price.
and second of all the epi you suggest is pretty mediocre, and the amp not good for a beginner, I recommend either of the ibanez packs, or a roland cube and either yamaha pacifica or ibanez.
these brands are both highly versatile, giving him options for more styles, where the epi valve combo has no effects or tone circuit. its a good amp but might cost him for the pedals, since he seems to be a metal guy. cube is better for that, and the LP special is probably not the best pick for most metal styles.

Who the **** you calling crazy?

I bet 99% of people on UG agree with me. Zakk Wylde uses a Les Paul, Randy Rhoads used one, Just because it doesn't have an FR and EMG's(which you wont find in anything under $500 anyways) doesn't mean its a good guitar for metal.
I didn't say les pauls were bad, but the les paul "special" is not. the standard for 400 is decent, but HSS pickups are important for a new player due to versatility, and since 300 is his upper limit on price, he doesn't need a tube amp. he's better off with one of the starter packs where he gets a guitar with non-****e pickups, and decent playability. anyway spending 300 on the guitar and amp leaves no budget for other stuff, and the valve jr really needs pedals to do metal. its a good blues amp, though. with the 250$ ibanez pack he gets decent stuff and fully equipped, and 50$ left over for pedal. les pauls are awesome, but not THAT one
Quote by the.spine.surfs

Quote by Lil Macker
or was it 9...
yeah 10
if ur just starting out i think the last thing that should be on ur mind is recording. buy a used guitar
I disagree, but don't spend over 100$ on recording gear, just get a cheap USB one. He might not be good yet, but GB is a damned fine songwriter's tool. as for used guitars, you can get good deals, but they might not be for everyone. I'd buy a new guitar package. but used tube amps are often a gold mine, later on. the pickups, btw are all machine wound. only expensive, custom pups are generally hand wound, as a rule. but that's a tone junkie thing, not for you yet.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

Quote by Lil Macker
or was it 9...
yeah 10
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Fat-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=510629

Squire affinity series fat strat. $150.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-20X-Amp-With-COSM?sku=487031

Roland Cube 20X. $159.

Comes to $309. Get a cable, picks, and a strap and you're good.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Let's kill 2 birds with one stone.

Behringer iAxe393 USB

Advantages:
1) It plugs into your computer via a USB and comes with software that basically turns your computer into an amp, which means you won't have to spend extra money on a little practice amp that you'll want to get rid of later and you won't have to spend extra money on a way to connect it to your computer to record .
2) It's cheap. $120.

Disadvantages:
1) It's not the greatest guitar. Spend some of that leftover money to get a FULL setup from a luthier/guitar store (truss rod adjustment, fret crowning, etc...) and on some new hardware (tuning machines, a new nut, and possibly a new bridge or at least some saddles).
2) It has 3 single coils, so it may not get the type of tone you are looking for. Maybe use so me of the leftover money for a single coil sized humbucker.

If you definitely want an amp, the Roland Microcube is the perfect choice .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 21, 2007,
Quote by T!AN
You could get by with one of those starter packs, but if you saved up a little more money you could get the stuff seperately and it would run circles any sort of starter pack in terms of quality. Something like a Ibanez 321 for a guitar and a Roland Microcube for an amp...

EDIT: I agree with p.stick about going used. Never hurts...

+ 1
Roland Microcube
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp?sku=481169

Dean Vendetta XM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Vendetta-XM-Electric-Guitar?sku=512150

Under 250$ for both. Plenty of money for picks & such. You wont get much better for your price range. If you take care of this stuff for a while, it's 100% possible to upgrade it with new pups or just buy all new.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by stealthsniper96
usb recorder? i thought i woulda just been able to use like a 1/4 to 1/8 inch cable?

Go to radioshack and buy a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter. They cost around 3 dollars. Put the adapter on the end of your guitar cable and plug it straight into your computer. It wont have the best sound, but it should be enough for what you want it to do. Or, you can plug your guitar into your amp, and then run a cable from your headphone jack on your amp into the comp. Either or.
Stevie Y of the GO WINGS club. PM me with a title to join.

The following statement is false. The preceding statement is true.

Member #20 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
I had a Yamaha Pacifica Starter Pack (£170) the guitar was decent for a first, but the amp was useless. If u get the Pacifica dont get the starter pack and buy a better amp, eg Roland Micro Cube. (BTW outta the two i would get the 2nd guitar because it looks cool, iv done no reasearch about either so...)
*insert flashy humorous sig here*
that price for the cube seems a bit steep for a starting amp. i remember reading somewhere about a used peavy rage 158 being a good starter, and plus its about $50. hows that one?
That's a pretty good starter, but I don't think it reaches metal levels very well...it's more for general rock stuff.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I don't really have any good recommendation about guitars for you since i only own one XD
But about the amplifier I can surely recommend a Line6 Pocket Pod for around 125USD. First you need to get a feeling of how a amp works and sounds. The multi-effect amp is pretty good as starter amp. Practice with a headset plugged into a amp suits quite good for beginners.
Quote by T!AN

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Uldhppy wrote:
Yamaha Pacifica and Roland Microcube.

+1

I like the HSS guitars because they are more versatile than the HH guitars -- the choice between single coils and humbuckers will give you more tones to play with as beginner. But if you are a metal & hard rock guy, you may be happier with the HH guitars.

Dave_MC knows what he is talking about, too.
Quote by stealthsniper96
that price for the cube seems a bit steep for a starting amp. i remember reading somewhere about a used peavy rage 158 being a good starter, and plus its about $50. hows that one?

i doubt ill be playing any hard metal to start off with, but idk. so anyway, i think its come down to this- either of those Ibanez sets that i started with (probably the first since that seems to have more votes); or the yamaha pacifica, a peavy backstage/ rage 158, andthen all the misc cables picks and such. what yall think? and i feel stupid asking this, but all straps work with all guitars right?
the peavey is a good choice. those transtube series practice amps are brilliant for what they are

and about straps, yes.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Steve BP
Uldhppy wrote:

+1

I like the HSS guitars because they are more versatile than the HH guitars -- the choice between single coils and humbuckers will give you more tones to play with as beginner. But if you are a metal & hard rock guy, you may be happier with the HH guitars.

Dave_MC knows what he is talking about, too.

+1 on that too (and ), i missed what uldhippi wrote. HSS is a good choice too, possibly more versatile than HH. Depends on the tones you want of course.

Quote by stealthsniper96
i doubt ill be playing any hard metal to start off with, but idk. so anyway, i think its come down to this- either of those Ibanez sets that i started with (probably the first since that seems to have more votes); or the yamaha pacifica, a peavy backstage/ rage 158, andthen all the misc cables picks and such. what yall think? and i feel stupid asking this, but all straps work with all guitars right?

should do, as long as you don't get, say, a dimarzio cliplock strap, which should still work, but might be a bit more awkward.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
All I know is, the Yamaha Pacifica 010 definitely set me off on the right foot. Recommended.
ok now i got another question. lookin at pics, they got all different sizes(MM). how much difference does it make?

==edit==

lets make that 2 questions im looking through the cables, and im wonderin, some say stereo, and some dont (im assuming theyr mono). ik that itll make the difference when its connected to my computer, but what, if any difference will mono/stereo make when its connected to the amp?

==2nd edit haha==

just came across these- one, two. what yall think about thems?
Last edited by stealthsniper96 at Oct 22, 2007,
I think stereo cables are intended for double-guitars or some guitar with special pickup combinations. Generally what I know is that normal guitars can deliver only one sound channel at a time. Stereo or not is later up to the amp (with special features) and mixer.

I can recommend you NOT to consider those starter packs. Their quality and finish are nowhere near good. You will end up wanting a new set of guitar / amp after a month or two once you realized that.
Quote by hminh87
I can recommend you NOT to consider those starter packs. Their quality and finish are nowhere near good. You will end up wanting a new set of guitar /
amp after a month or two once you realized that.

ok, leme inform you a bit more. whatever i plan on getting, it will be a christmas present. and being that my mom has never been to keen on me playing guitar, i dont want something really expensive because she doesnt understand the pricing and if she thinks its to expensive, i wont get it. i know that the amps arent that good, but depending on how much money i get from christmas, plus my birthday that is in april, i should have enough money for a so-so amp. so the amps that are included in the ibanez kit, and the one that comes with the Les Paul special II player kit, how long could i get them to last? i guess i could also go for the pacifica and maybe like a used peavy to start, but i would probably end up replacing that soon also. thoughts?
Quote by stealthsniper96
ok, leme inform you a bit more. whatever i plan on getting, it will be a christmas present. and being that my mom has never been to keen on me playing guitar, i dont want something really expensive because she doesnt understand the pricing and if she thinks its to expensive, i wont get it.

Quote by FacingUsAll
Let's kill 2 birds with one stone.

Behringer iAxe393 USB

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
i've never tried that behringer, but FUA is normally reliable, so I'd certainly consider it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Behringer iAxe isn't half bad to be honest...I owned one for a year or so, and managed to sell it for over 50% of what I originally paid for it (90 on ebay) because of the interesting technology bundled with it. Ergonomics, though, suck. The machine heads wanted me to kick puppies...it was that bad holding a tune. Then again, their action is arguably better than a Strat I managed to pick up.

Here's what I'd get...ideally you should have more than just 300 but I'll bear with it:

1. ESP 50-series guitar. They're extremely well made, with smooth tuners, they're always well-set up, and great action. $200 at Musiciansfriend...choose your body.
2. Digitech RP150. Amp+recording. Unless you play live, in which disregard this and get an amp that has a headphone port or something similar, then get a 1/4-1/8 (or 3.5mm) cable and connect that to a sound card.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Oct 24, 2007,
ok guys here goes another stupid question, but ill ask it anyway. is a tuner a tuner? or like are there different tuners for different stuff? would something like this work with the pacifica? and also hows this for an amp?
Last edited by stealthsniper96 at Oct 24, 2007,
Page 1 of 2