Ok so at the mo i have an MG100 half stack, which i'm gonna be upgrading from soon (obviously). Just wondering would it be ok to keep the cab and just swap the head for whatever tube head I decide upon. I mean will the cab be able to handle the power considering it's effectively designed for the MG. For instance could it handle a 100W tube head? Reason I ask is because online I see allot of nice tube heads going for relatively cheap but not often with the cab aswell. So just wondering if i'd be able to focus all attention on just getting a head or would I need a different cab aswell.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
if you dont gig then i wouldnt recommend a tube head. tube amps are a lot louder than solid states. i dont think the cab would be able to handle it.

anyway i wouldnt keep the cab even if it could. though i have nevere played through that cab, i am willing to bet that the "custom voiced marshall/celestion" speakers will sound very pleasent. speakers have a lot to do with your tone.
Get rid of it. MG cabs are rubbish. If you can't afford a good head and cab, just get a combo. Keep in mind that you won't need a 100w head anyway.
I am gonna be gigging. As far as my best guess is concerned I don't think it could handle it. Me and a mate of mine were arguing about this earlier, but because neither of us have a tube amp, or have ever had a tube amp, it was one guess against another lol.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by Roc8995
Keep in mind that you won't need a 100w head anyway.

I know, I was just talking hypothetically really.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
how big ar ethe gigs going to be? i have gotten away with a gig with about 300 people with a 30 watt tube with a 212
Just to reiterate: You do not need 100w tube. Say it with me: I do not need 100w tube

Seriously, go for something more in the area of 30w, that'll be more than enough for any gig. EVER.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Tube amps will put out about 50% more wattage than what they're advertised to be, so a 100 watt tube amp will put out 150 watts when cranked. That said, speakers are usually rated pretty conservatively. The answer, then, is 'maybe.' I don't see how the fact that you're gigging matters, there's no way you'll be diming a 100 watt amp or even a 50 watt amp unless you're playing stadiums.
Pretty varied I think. I dunno yet, the bands first is this coming wednesday but our singer is pretty well connected and apparently has been getting offers for gigs from all over the place so like I said I don't really know yet. I'll have to see what kind of stuff is available at the time I think, good combo for good price I'd be getting that, same for half stack.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
think of it this way; the cab is just as bad at its job as the head

Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I'll say it again, when I said 100W I was talking hypothetically, of course I'm not gonna go out and get a 100W one lol. Like I said, if a good half stack or combo comes along for the right price, i'll be snapping it up (30W or 100W ).
P.S I know i'm talking in riddles a bit but I have been drinking so bare with me
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
It would be better if you got a whole new cab, but you can get by for a while. The speakers are not that great and the cab is not solid. If you decide to stay with 412's I'd look for a 50 watt combo and use it as an extension cab, at least until you get a new cab. You would have maximum versatility that way. Need 112, just take the combo. Need a half stack and you have it.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Just to reiterate: You do not need 100w tube. Say it with me: I do not need 100w tube

Seriously, go for something more in the area of 30w, that'll be more than enough for any gig. EVER.

why not?
100watts is only 3 dbs louder than a 50watt
the human ear can't really even detect that
Quote by mrchow
i am willing to bet that the "custom voiced marshall/celestion" speakers will sound very pleasent.

That's actually code for "worst speakers ever."

Dump that cab in the same grave you throw the head and find something better. The recommendation of a tube combo is a good one. Avatar makes a decent affordable cab, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
if the speakers are rated at 100W they should be able to handle 100W coming from either tube or SS. I'd say keep the cab, it's not a great cab, but there are worse ones, and it'll save you money and allow you to put that coin towards a great head. Later on you can replace the speakers in the MG cab.
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Quote by guitaruboy
why not?
100watts is only 3 dbs louder than a 50watt
the human ear can't really even detect that

Exactly, with 100w only being very slightly louder than 50w then 50w is only a minuscule amount louder than 30w, with 30w tube you can play any gig that's small enough to not have a PA and anything bigger you can mic the amp.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.