I KNOW this has been done before, and frankly I don't give a rat's ass.

I would like to see some songs that people find totally powerful, emotionally driving.

For me, I think the song that fits this most is Octavarium by Dream Theater.

There are a lot of songs that hit me right at the core, but that one does it in an even more special way.

The last movement, Razor's Edge...the section itself, ESPECIALLY the solo, they just move right through me. The solo is the biggest part of it...like it has so many musical layers. All the right notes are in the right place at the right time, (ADJECTIVES?) on every instrument. The musical and emotional atmosphere are beautiful. This applies to the whole song, really, but this last section hits the spot even more.
Anytime I listen to it, I get chills at the end...it's like...not one of those things you can put into words. You can just feel the magic through every part of you. From your head to toes and EVERYWHERE in between. It's beautiful.

These Walls by Dream Theater, from the same album actually, hits me similarly...not quite as elaborately, but even so...

So, UG frequenters, what songs, or movements therein, hit you in such a powerful way?
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Wings for Marie pt. 1 and 2 by Tool

Without you here by Finch

Fiddle and the Drum by A perfect Circle (such amazing harmony!!)
oh yeah, octavarium at like 18:40 - 19:32 is the pinnacle of awesomeness. or In The Name Of God, Presence of Enemies, Change of Seasons, Glass Prison, or any dream theater epic.
or bed of nails by alice cooper.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
same here, i love octavarium. Home by Dream Theater on the scenes from a memory cd i think is a nice powerful song for me.
has anyone else listened to the whole Six Degrees song by DT?
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

Mainly 70s progressive rock epics (20+ minutes) such as Supper's Ready by Genesis, the whole Tales from Topographic Oceans album by Yes, Gates of Delirium by Yes... the list goes on.

Dream Theater is the pwnage, too.
poop
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!
Quote by bass-man9712

Quote by Sirwinston89

I wish i had the cd because whenever i find it it is like $20+.

AAAAAAAAAAAH I LOVE IT.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

You're welcome
man the second cd of that has a 42 minute song!! but i prefer a more to the point, 10-25 minute epic. 42 minutes is just insanity.
Quote by bass-man9712

Quote by Sirwinston89

I usually do for any long car trip.
poop
Machtkampf - Arch Enemy
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
Pagans Mind - Enigmatic Mission
Alter Bridge - Blackbird
Age of Nemesis - Fate's Door
Dream Theater - Peruvian Skies (After Solo)
Nevermore - The Heart Collector, Believe in Nothing

Too many to name right now the whole Alter Bridge cd is mesmerizing a non stop Brain GEM!
The most talented man on earth...
Quote by Axegrinder#9
My Favorite Things - John Coltrane

Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
Dancing With the Moonlit Knight-Genesis (it just IS)

Learning to Live-Dream Theater (come on don't tell me you get a little wet for THAT F#)

Needled 24/7-Children of Bodom (just makes me wanna start running round and smashing things)

Sleepwalker-Megadeth (they opened with it when I saw them live and when it bursts into life the crowd just went nuts, although saying that the chant-along part to Peace Sells is pretty epic for that too....)
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
to be honest, I thought they were awful. I mean some of the songs our drummer's written was better than their stuff.