Ok i have a couple questions
part 1
What size gauge strings do you use with your acoustic? i have been playing for 5 years and i have always used mediam gadge (.13) martin strings.

I use .10 gauge on my electric. i was told you should use the largest gauge strings that you can comfortable play with for the acoustic thats why i have been playing with the .13's this whole time. Is this true? and what is the differnence in sound with larger strings on the acoustic? is it louder, darker?

part 2

Should the distance between my strings and the neck be the same the whole length of the guitar. In my case there is a larger gap the closer you get to the hole. What should i do to correct this? I did a little sanding on the saddle but it didnt do to much. Does my trust rod need adjusted? I have been afraid to touch the trust rod since i have heard its the last resort.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by mikey4402 at Oct 21, 2007,
Part 1: I use light gauge strings on my acoustic because I'm used to playing electric so it's more comfortable to me. Larger string gauges give you a thicker tone as well as a little more sustain, but you may sacrifice playability.

Part 2: The distance between the neck and strings (action) always gets higher as you move closer to the bridge on just about every, if not all, guitars. If you don't feel you action needs adjustment don't mess with it.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
It is better to use a larger gague to get a louder sharper sound. If you plug your acoustic in to an amp, it isnt as important to have heavier strings. Just use whatever feels best to play.
The strings should be the same distance across the neck. You somehow got your neck bent somehow or you bought it that way. It isnt something you want to adjust yourself so go to a guitar store and they might be able to fix it for you.
Quote by -=Croatoan=-
It is better to use a larger gague to get a louder sharper sound. If you plug your acoustic in to an amp, it isnt as important to have heavier strings. Just use whatever feels best to play.
The strings should be the same distance across the neck. You somehow got your neck bent somehow or you bought it that way. It isnt something you want to adjust yourself so go to a guitar store and they might be able to fix it for you.

Ok its not an acoustic/electric and i dont have pick ups, so i guess i will stick with the .13. is there any reason somone should work up to heavy gauge strings?
I was thinking about just taking it in to get set up, i would rather save money and do it myself, but if its that hard to do i guess i will take it in.

How much does it usally cost to get a acoustic set up in the US?

Quote by teamzaius

Part 2: The distance between the neck and strings (action) always gets higher as you move closer to the bridge on just about every, if not all, guitars. If you don't feel you action needs adjustment don't mess with it.

I feel my action does need adjustment thats why i am posting questions about it...
I prefer extra light gauge. .10-.47. I have read articles that disagree with the largest gauge is best theory. I use 'em 'cause there easier to play.
Quote by Guitar Hack
I prefer extra light gauge. .10-.47. I have read articles that disagree with the largest gauge is best theory. I use 'em 'cause there easier to play.

If you have any Links i would be intrested in reading them
I prefer a lighter gauge too...use DR 11s...easier to bend within an open chord.