What's the deal about guitar stands and certain straps damaging guitar finishes? My MIM Fenders and my Musicman have polyester-finished bodies, while my MIA Fender has polyurethane. All three Fenders have satin-polyurethane necks, whereas the 'Ray has a tung-oil/wax blend thing going on.

In short, how do I protect my basses? Should I use a certain type of stand and guitar strap? Buying four hardshell cases isn't really an option, and gig bags certainly won't work.

Whaddya think?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
for a stand, i had the same problems. try and get stands that have a foam protector around the metal parts that will be touching the guitar. that solved all my problems. and yes, a hard case is always ideal to have, so you should really try and save up for one. i would say that a hard case is far more important than a new stand.
see, I've got a hard case, but it's.. only... one case! I put my Stingray in it, as it's the most priceless (being made that way for only six months, the guy appraised it as TOO valuable!), and the three Fenders sit in stands. So I was really more worried about them.

the metal parts of the stand are covered, but I read something about the foam/urethane pads damaging the finish, and how artificial nylon guitar straps wear on the finish.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
some stands have the black foam pads, they can react with certain finishes, like nitro-cellulose and laquer finishes, found on Gibsons and Fenders. it's usually associated with long term contact. the amber colored "tubing" used on many stands doesn't have these reactive properties, although they are more sensitive to UV exposure.
a bass should be returned to it's case, when not in use. if you don't have a case for each, move the basses around, and change the height of the neck support so no single place makes contact, for long periods of time. they only discovered this because of guitars hanging on the wall at the shops for months, or even years, at a time.
Sell one of your basses and buy 3 cases. your stand too! I see no reason for a guitar stand unless you're gonna need to switch guitars during a gig. I have a hardcase for each of my basses.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Always get a stand with a foam protector around the iron bars. Also make sure the iron bars are shut tight so they cant move. That way the bass cant force its weight down onto it.

For the rest, don't be too paranoid but if you dont use your bass, lay it on something soft (where it cant move) or on your stand. Dont put it on the bare floor >.>
If you can't afford a hard case, the Gator line of GL gig cases are a good alternative. The GLs are lightweight but sturdier than a gig bag. I got mine locally for about 59 USD; I've seen them on musicians friend for about ten dollars more.
Quote by anarkee
If you can't afford a hard case, the Gator line of GL gig cases are a good alternative. The GLs are lightweight but sturdier than a gig bag. I got mine locally for about 59 USD; I've seen them on musicians friend for about ten dollars more.

I've been looking into a cheaper lighter alternative to a hardcase and came across the Kace Polyfoam Boutique Case. It's made of a hard polyfoam and functions logistically as a gig bag with similar protection as a hard case.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I've been looking into a cheaper lighter alternative to a hardcase and came across the Kace Polyfoam Boutique Case. It's made of a hard polyfoam and functions logistically as a gig bag with similar protection as a hard case.

Kace also has a bass case that has shoulder straps as well; which if you have to take your bass on public transport or a bike (motorcycle or otherwise) its a nice feature.

Both the Kace and Gator cases are surprisingly sturdy, and stand up to a considerable amount of wear and tear.
i currently use a Gator "soft-side" case for my Fender Jazz, and i'm very pleased with it. it's light, has a double zipper enclosure, and several strap configs'. plus pockets on the outside for cables and such. i wouldn't use this case for heavy road use, but for around town in the back of my pick-up, it does great. i believe it was around $60.