Page 1 of 2
Ok so I have decided not to go into my overdraft for a vintage modern and limit my budget to £300 for a new guitar amp. I want something that can do Guns N Roses.... that is most important as i enjoying playing this the most. Im not bothered if it needs pedals to get there though (for example i would rather have a valve amp that needed to be pushed to Slash territory with a pedal than a solidstate with that amount of gain, but not as decent sound quality. I dont want any kind of modelling amp...nothing digital. I was looking at the VC-15 by Laney but am put off by reliability issues..... could this do Guns N Roses with a pedal? say a tubescreamer?

My Budget is £300... i need nothing heavier than Guns N Roses style and would like help choosing an amp... i would like one that I could gig with in the future, but this isnt the most important factor. Also, recommendations for amp/pedal combinations to achieve the sound i want would be helpful. Thanks in advance, hope you can help
get any mesa amp, plug in a BOSS distortion or mega distortion pedal and tweek it, BOSS also makes some wah pedals.it sounds great through an SG
I'm savin up for a Line 6 spider III amp. The 75w version is $300 and has a ****load of effects built right in. plus it has artist presets so u dont have to buy all their pedals to sound like them. It's awesome. But for pedals, slash has a signature wah pedal. I'm not sure how much it is, but you can definitely get some of his sounds outa it.
Last edited by KNOTfan666 at Oct 21, 2007,
i dont fancy digital modelling, i have a vox ad50vt and im not a big fan of digital modelling....although hats off to vox, they have made a good amp, im just bored of the tone and want more
Quote by KNOTfan666
I'm savin up for a Line 6 spider III amp. The 75w version is $300 and has a ****load of effects built right in. plus it has artist presets so u dont have to buy all their pedals to sound like them. It's awesome. But for pedals, slash has a signature wah pedal. I'm not sure how much it is, but you can definitely get some of his sounds outa it.

wow. with that post, you violated pretty much every unwritten law of UG.

you reccomended a Line 6 spider.

you advocated sounding exactly like your favorite artists.

you apparently like slipknot.

you reccomended a signature piece of gear.

are you a Marshall MG fan, as well?

and to TS, I'd reccomend a used Vox AC series or an all tube Peavey.
would a used vox ac series get me to slash territory? ill look into prices though, thanks
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
would a used vox ac series get me to slash territory? ill look into prices though, thanks

it'll sound pretty good. that, a nice distortion pedal and an LP style guitar will get you damn close to slash's tone.
they seem to be out of my price range, which is a shame. is there any particular model you would recommend?
a les paul copy with a pair of seymour duncan alnico II pros and im not really after much power past small gigs.... i would only need 15w if that... wouldnt need 30w as i would have to probably attenuate it
i could get a used DSL401 Marshall... are they any good?

I was thinking (as the less i spend the better) about a laney VC-15 and a pedal.... any ideas?
Well, I don't listen to GnR or care for Slash, so I couldn't tell you if it'd get you into his tone territory, but I'll reccomend a Traynor Custom Valve series amp. I have the Custom Valve 40 2x10 and it's absolutely amazing.

here's a GP review of the YCV40 1x12: http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/new-tube-amps/Jan-00/6672

These aren't high gain amps, but they sound amazing, are at good prices (especially used) and are severely underrated. I'd say the YCV50 Blue because it has EL34s, which would get you closer to the Marshall tone, and if I'm not much mistaken, Slash uses a Marshall.
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Although Peavey isn't a good value in the UK, descriptions of the Peavey Windsor Studio sound like they could hit Slash tones. Not out yet though, atleast not in the US.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
yeh i could pre-order a peavey windsor for £190 but one website says it isnt expected until january 2008.

Dont think i can cheapy get hold of traynors in the UK. Ill try to try out the DSL 401 and VC-15.... its jut my guitar shop barlet stocks anything so im buying blindly
^that seems like the amp of ur life.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
haha a silver jubilee would be better as slash never used a bog standard 800, his was modded.... but its gunna get me closer than a VC-15! hope i dont get outbid

edit: i say his...he stole it and then his roadie accidently made that fact apparent and he had to give it back. I could save up all my pennies for a year and get the famous #39 mod done to it...
Last edited by slashs_#1_fan at Oct 22, 2007,
^stop at around 400~450ish. seeing that 400 of ur currency is about 800USD?
stop at around 750 if ur really thinking of bidding.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i dont really have that kind of money though

a silver jubilee went for £445 yesterday.... i was gutted that i had put my max as £440 and forgotten about it... that would have been worth getting into debt for
what does that cable that is plugged into the back and runs into the amp do? is that the connection to the speaker? if so does that mean it can A. be connected to a cab and B. an attenuator can easily be connected to it?

editops, double posted.... sorry
i lost the link, but probably is. that means yes, attenuator can be connected.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
haha don't spend too much. u might have another offer like this later. be patient.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by whatadrag
get any mesa amp, plug in a BOSS distortion or mega distortion pedal and tweek it, BOSS also makes some wah pedals.it sounds great through an SG

dude, (a) they're way over budget and (b) why the heck would you buy a £2000 mesa and plug a crappy £40 boss distortion pedal into it?

------

i already replied in the only amp thread, but i'd say laney vc 30, or possibly wait until the peavey windsor studio is released (january, from what i hear).

or if you can find a free cab, maybe a standard windsor head.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for your reply in the other thread.... i didnt think anyone was listening to that so i made on here! i have thought about the windsor head but i doubt i could find a free cab. Im going to see how this jcm800 on ebay plays out (to which i wont spend much.... ill put in a price i think its worth and if i lose i lose)

how is the vc-30 different to the vc-15?if they arent different then id rather get the 15 and not spend money on power i wont use. thanks for your reply
VC30/VC15 are pretty much identical.
Besides the 15 being class A/B and a smaller speaker and the added extra of the tone knob.
But they both sound similar, the 30 has a bit more low end due to the bigger speaker and the 15 is a bit harsher, but that's probably what the tone knob is for, the round off some of the higher frequencies, both are very nice amps (obviously :p, but unless your gigging mid-large gigs go for the 15.

Check out the Laney thread...
valvekings are quite versatile- they have a fender-ish clean channel, and a more modern american overdrive channel which can do hard rock/lighter metal, but it's not as brootal as say a mesa recto or peavey 5150. might be a little bit too american-sounding for guns n roses, though at the same time, at your budget, you could do a lot worse too- though I think the laney vc is better for the tones you want, and assuming the windsor studio sounds half-similar to the head (it might not), it'd be better too.

the vc15 is virtually the same as the 30, only it has a different, smaller speaker, and less wattage. and has a "tone" knob (a bit like a presence, i think), while the vc30 doesn't.

I preferred the 30, but it's debatable how much of that was due to the different speaker.

if you can try them both, that's probably the best bet. if not, they should be close enough that if you can even get to try one or the other, you should be ok.

EDIT: dang becky beat me to it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2