So i was just offered an AC30CC1 for my DRRI. Thats very tempting, but i'm not sure if i should go for it or not, but i just got the DRRI and everything.

I've only had the chance to play an AC15 which i liked a lot, and i know the AC30 is supposedly better than the 15.

Think i should go for it? i'd be playing mostly SRV/Mayer type stuff, which i'm aware the Fender would do better but i like the headroom of the 30, the DRRI breaks up too fast for me.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
oh wow, that's a toughie. if you can, let the person know that you just got the drri and not sure whether or not it suits you better than the ac30 would.

that'd buy you some contemplating time.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Two totally tubular tube amplifiers. There's not really a quality difference at all there, so I think you should just find a way to get them side by side in a private room so you can turn them up. 30 watts to 22 watts really wont make that much difference.
I own both amps. That's really the way to go.

On the Fender, I really prefer the reverb and tremolo effects. They're simply better. The reverb is bottomless, and the tremolo is truly organic. That's an area where they skimped a little on the Vox to keep the cost down. The Fender cleans, of course, are also amazing.

However, I like the voice of the Vox a lot better, especially the crunch on the thing. And it's a powerful amp. Much louder than any amp supposedly it's size, and louder than amps 40-50W or more. That could be a plus or a minus. It's great for gigging, but it's tough to tame at home. I have the master on mine around where "1" might be, and it's still really loud.

The AC30 is a lot better than the AC15, too.

You're looking at a fair trade. One that may tilt in your favor a little bit. But I can't tell you which one to go for any more than I could decide between them myself. I love them both.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by KetchupLad14
Two totally tubular tube amplifiers. There's not really a quality difference at all there, so I think you should just find a way to get them side by side in a private room so you can turn them up. 30 watts to 22 watts really wont make that much difference.

But the AC30 is a very loud 30 watts.
Quote by KetchupLad14
30 watts to 22 watts really wont make that much difference.

It's actually a huge difference. The Vox is an extremely loud 30W, while the DRRI isn't as loud as my son's Palomino V16.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Play them both, but IMO the AC30 is twice the amp a DRRI is.
It is way louder as well, like slats says.
AC30 is my vote

It is a tough call though. I have always loved the AC30s but the DRRI is a helluva amp.
In your case I think you wouldn't be going wrong either way. If the AC30 is worth more than what you paid for the DRRI then do it!
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
This is so tempting. Theres also a chance of a Lovepedal Eternity Roadhouse in the deal.

The speaker is a Weber Blue and it comes with a quad of NOS Sylvania el84's.

Any other opinions, my birthday is this Saturday so i'm gonna head up to guitar center and try the AC30 out.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
The speaker is a Weber Blue and it comes with a quad of NOS Sylvania el84's.

if it's in good condition, and the blues speaker working fine, GET IT.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
What's the speaker? A Weber Blue Dog? Ceramic or Alnico? That alnico one might be a nice upgrade. Not sure about the ceramic. The stock speaker in the CC1 really ain't too bad.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ The stock speaker in the CC1 is a neodog right? Read that somewhere...
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
So, i missed it.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
^ The stock speaker in the CC1 is a neodog right? Read that somewhere...

Yeah. I like it, but I've considered swapping it out for a Tone Tubby or an Eminence Red Fang.

Quote by igotabcrich32
So, i missed it.

That was fast! Too bad and all, but at least you're not stuck with a crappy amp or anything.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The AC30 is so loud because of its efficient speakers, it doesn't have some sort of magical trait that so many seem to think it has.

Stick the speakers in any other 30w amp, and there won't be much of a volume difference anymore.
Quote by mr_hankey
Stick the speakers in any other 30w amp, and there won't be much of a volume difference anymore.

Hmmmm....

IMHO, the AC30 is very conservatively rated. I plug it and my Peavey Classic 30 into the same speaker cab, and there's a noticable difference in volume between the two amps.

That's my experience, anyway.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Hmmmm....

IMHO, the AC30 is very conservatively rated. I plug it and my Peavey Classic 30 into the same speaker cab, and there's a noticable difference in volume between the two amps.

That's my experience, anyway.

I'm not sure how much difference 3 watts (could be more) will make, but I do know that when you compare a AC30 with two alnico blues in it with (for example) a classic 30 with its stock speaker, you'll hear a big volume difference, which will be (mostly) due to the speakers.
But all hope is not lost!

i was just offered a AC30CCH for the DRRI. How are these? i wouldnt mind buying a cab off Avatar or even saving up for the Vox cab if its worth it.
Quote by mr_hankey
it doesn't have some sort of magical trait that so many seem to think it has.

oh, but it does indeed
Quote by igotabcrich32
i was just offered a AC30CCH for the DRRI. How are these? i wouldnt mind buying a cab off Avatar or even saving up for the Vox cab if its worth it.

It's great. Same amp again. It's actually what I was hoping to find when I stumbled upon my CC1. You could buy a decent Avatar 1x12 to get it up and running, and start saving for the better cab immediately.

The Vox cab is great, my Tone Tubby is outstanding, too. That's what the guitarist in REM plays, an AC30 head thru a Tone Tubby cab. Nice.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
It's great. Same amp again. It's actually what I was hoping to find when I stumbled upon my CC1. You could buy a decent Avatar 1x12 to get it up and running, and start saving for the better cab immediately.

The Vox cab is great, my Tone Tubby is outstanding, too. That's what the guitarist in REM plays, an AC30 head thru a Tone Tubby cab. Nice.

Thanks for the advice, he's still interested, so i'm assuming its a go if he says definitely yes.

As for an Avatar cab, what speaker would be best?

Hellatone 30, Hellatone 60, Hellatone 60L, Celestion Greenback , Celestion Classic Lead 80, Celestion G12H30 , Celestion G12T75, Celestion G12T100, Celestion Vintage 30 -$199. + $24 shipping
Last edited by igotabcrich32 at Oct 23, 2007,
I'm not familiar with the Hellatones, but I'd probably go with the Greenbacks.

edit: I was thinking pair of speakers, the Greenback's only 25W. Probably good enough, but why take a chance. The Hellatones actually get excellent reviews. Apparently they're relabeled Celestion G12H30's. Probably worth a go.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Last edited by slatsmania at Oct 23, 2007,
Thats what i'm probably going to do. I'm just nervous about all those horror stories i keep reading about them.
Just a quick bump to say theres a 98% chance of this happening, any reasons to not go for it?

this will be used as a clean blues amp.
^ re-read post #4 in this thread. I love both amps, and have nothing more to really add to that.

I definitely think the AC30 is the better gigging amp, but it's not like the DRRI doesn't have a lot going for it. It's a tough call. Play your amp again before you go, and play the AC30 before you go thru with it.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I'd go for the AC30 all the way.
But I have 3 Vox amps (AD30VT, AD50VT, AC30CCH), so I'm a bit biased

But as someone else said, try both amps side by side. Take your time, try numerous setting etc.

As for speakers, I have Celestion G12K-85. Got 3 for them (I built 2 cabs for them, 1x12 and a 2x12) for $40 from craigslist, couldn't pass that up, Wanna get the Alnico Blues SOMEDAY though
I like the way my Celestions sound, GREAT cleans, nice crunch.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jul 6, 2008,
DO IT NAO. But seriously, put the AC30 through 2 alnico speakers. Pure bliss.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
haha, this thread is really old, i traded my DRRI long ago.
Ancient thread. Why was it bumped?

Didn't you trade your DRRI along with some cash for the Metro JTM you have?
I don't recall 100% though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Ancient thread. Why was it bumped?

Didn't you trade your DRRI along with some cash for the Metro JTM you have?
I don't recall 100% though.

+1
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era

For a second there I was wondering how igotabcrich32 was offered the same trade.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Lol, don't I feel stupid. I didn't even think to look at the time stamps. Yeah, and I was gonna say, didn't you get rid of your DRRI for that Metroamp JTM45...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
yeah, i traded the DRRI for the 45, fantastic amp.
If I were I wouldnt have taken the Vox. Your playing SRV and Mayer, tones that are american voiced... dont think the brit soundin vox would do that as well.

BUT IF I WERE ME! I would have snagged that like a fat kid on a cupcake. and than proceed to sit around all day trying to tweak it to sound like brian may.