I currently have "Designed by EMG" pick ups in my RG2EX1... I do in fact really love the sound they produce for me when playing metal/death metal/hardcore ETC... However I was wondering if spending the money to get an EMG 81/85 set in there would improve my already satisfactory tone significantly?
if you are satisfied, then why bother?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
If you like em, don't waste your money.

I have the exact same guitar (mine says RG2EX2 though, not EX1.) but same damn thing.

Same pickups and all. I'm not disappointed either, but I'd love to upgrade to dimarzio's.

But yeah. Don't waste $200 if you like your sound.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
[quote="'[P|E|R|S|O|N"]']designed by emgs are passives, real emgs are active. you'd need to find somewhere to fit in the battery thing

There are passive "real" EMGs too. They're called EMG-HZ. So he can get proper EMGs without excavating his body to make room for a battery.
if you like the designed ones, you will prolly love the real ones
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
Quote by Pikka Bird
There are passive "real" EMGs too. They're called EMG-HZ. So he can get proper EMGs without excavating his body to make room for a battery.

Yeah but he was asking if he should get 81/85's, which are active.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
You can shove two batteries into the RG control cavity with no sweat.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by Ishiga
Yeah but he was asking if he should get 81/85's, which are active.

That's true, but apparently the EMG-HZ H4 is hailed as the equivalent of the 81... But he'll have to hear that for himself.
DiMarzio D Activators are very reminiscent of the EMG tone but have more dynamics, WAY better cleans, and just way more clarity and openness.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

If I do upgrade I will go ahead and get the active's and pay to have the body altered in order for the battery, wiring, ETC... so i'm assuming i'm looking at a $250 job... expensive... but if it will greatly improve my tone (i play metal, death, hardcore, folk metal... heavy stuff..BTW) it will obviously be a cheaper option than buying a brand new guitar with EMG's somewhere down the line....
Quote by Pikka Bird

you know you dont have to route for those right? it's just more convenient to

and even then EMG HZs aren't going to be under $180 for a humbucker set.

the EMG/Ibz pups are actually alright. (the designed by EMG)
i find that they pickup sweeps better then the EMG HZ H-4 in my Alexi.
but that's it
otherwise my EMG HZ kills it hehe

in the end, no, it's definately not worth it.
you'd be better off upgrading to a better guitar that had an 81/85 set stocked into it if you really wanted to.
^^ okay...no.

you think them installing a passive pup for $35 is bad.
think of how they'll have to route your body AND install it.

that's probably around $100-$130 right there.
then there's the $200 pickups.
$330 to upgrade a slightly okay guitar.

bad ****ing idea.
just get a new guitar that has them stocked, like an LTD EC-500 which are only like $550 anyways.
or a Viper 400, F-400, MH-400, epiphone G-400 w/ 81/85 set, etc.

don't waste the money upgrading a phailish guitar.
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
^^ okay...no.

you think them installing a passive pup for $35 is bad.
think of how they'll have to route your body AND install it.

that's probably around $100-$130 right there.
then there's the $200 pickups.
$330 to upgrade a slightly okay guitar.

bad ****ing idea.
just get a new guitar that has them stocked, like an LTD EC-500 which are only like $550 anyways.
or a Viper 400, F-400, MH-400, epiphone G-400 w/ 81/85 set, etc.

don't waste the money upgrading a phailish guitar.

That's still 50% less than buying a brand new guitar with EMG's... How would my guitar which sounds pretty good, become phailish by upgrading the pick ups?
Eh, what routing are you people going on about? Installing an EMG set is child's play. The ZW set (81/85) comes with most of the parts prewired. There's no routing required, you put the pots/pickups into their correct places, make a few solder joints (clearly outlined in the instruction sheet), and you're ready to rock. It's easier and less messy that installing a set of passives. Paying to install those things is like paying for pre-chewing your food.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Not to be unkind, but before you consider pickup upgrades have you considered a new amp? You will not notice that much difference if you play actives into ss amps.
Quote by uldhppi
Not to be unkind, but before you consider pickup upgrades have you considered a new amp? You will not notice that much difference if you play actives into ss amps.

I'm going to get a tube amp before upgrading, yes.
Whatever you do, try to stay away from the EMG HZ series. They claim to be passive equivalents to the 81/85, but they aren't. They just don't compare at all. They don't sound especially BAD, but there are definitely better passives out there for the money.

As far as an actual set of an 81/85 goes, they are great pickups. I have them in my Viper 400. Awesome for metal. But personally, they get old. If I were buying a new set of pickups, I would probably go with that DiMarzio D-Activators like PerpetualBurn said. I forget what guitar it was, but I've played one with them in it. They are much more versatile than EMG's.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
Whatever you do, try to stay away from the EMG HZ series. They claim to be passive equivalents to the 81/85, but they aren't. They just don't compare at all. They don't sound especially BAD, but there are definitely better passives out there for the money.

As far as an actual set of an 81/85 goes, they are great pickups. I have them in my Viper 400. Awesome for metal. But personally, they get old. If I were buying a new set of pickups, I would probably go with that DiMarzio D-Activators like PerpetualBurn said. I forget what guitar it was, but I've played one with them in it. They are much more versatile than EMG's.

I dont really need something versatile though, im pretty strict on playing metal.
I'd still go with DiMarzios. I have an RG3 (like the same damn thing with different colors) and I too wanted active EMGs for metal, but after looking around a bit I realised I'd much rather have a pair of Evos in my guitar. You can play metal and not have every song sound like the same damn thing.