is an effects loop? I hear about them all the time, yet I'm confused as to what they atre. (I thought I knew, but then I thought about it and realized I didn't...

Oh, and be as detailed as possible... the more details, the better I'll understand!
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
Last edited by Robb987123Bass at Oct 21, 2007,
It allows you to put in pedals after the preamp.

It basically lets the pedals modify the amp's tone instead of the amp modifying the pedal's tone.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Sadly, that doesn't explain what they are or how they work...
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:

Amp:

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
It allows you to put pedals after the preamp (IE distortion on your amp) In the back of the amp there will be SEND and RETURN ports you can plug pedals into. The effect of the pedals will come after the preamp, as opposed to plugging them in between your guitar and the amp (that would make them come before).

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
If your amp has an effects loop, it'll have an effects loop output and input (or Send and Return, respectively).

You run a cable from the send to the pedal, and then from the pedal's output to the effects loop return.

It lets you let the pedal modify the signal somewhere between the preamp and poweramp of your amplifier instead of in front.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
It allows you to put pedals after the preamp (IE distortion on your amp) In the back of the amp there will be SEND and RETURN ports you can plug pedals into. The effect of the pedals will come after the preamp, as opposed to plugging them in between your guitar and the amp (that would make them come before).

Quote by FacingUsAll
l If your amp has an effects loop, it'll have an effects loop output and input (or Send and Return, respectively).

You run a cable from the send to the pedal, and then from the pedal's output to the effects loop return.

It lets you let the pedal modify the signal somewhere between the preamp and poweramp of your amplifier instead of in front.

Ok, that's the answer I was looking for! My amp doesn't have that (err... I'm gonna go double-check right after this) but for some reason I thought it was like, a pedal with two input/outputs, and the instrument and amp go into the one they need, but then the effects are circled around (kinda similarly) to the remaining input and output.
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:

Amp:

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Quote by utsapp89
Ok... well, my amp has a 'Preamp Out' and an 'Amp In'... would those work as well, or does my amp just not have an effects loop?
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:

Amp:

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
What amp do you have?

Those sound effects loopish
Quote by utsapp89
I have a Behringer BX1200 120 watt Bass combo... I think they got discontinued...
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:

Amp:

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
MXR Bass Envelope Filter