Page 1 of 2
Well i just found out a friend of mine from long ago plays guitar. I've been talking to him and he's been playing for 6 months and he keeps telling me how he wants to make a band and get gigs. I've been talking about how I recently got an instructor and he keeps telling me oh you should you're probably bad for being self-taught. I'm gonna play with him and maybe teach him something since it would be nice to have someone to play with, but I don't like how he brags.
that's mostly all i see when i go to the local guitar center
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
so whats the point? did you ever think that maybe hes good?
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by electricsnake
that's mostly all i see when i go to the local guitar center

indeed. it's always great to hear someone screw up some slow metallica solo, like the intro to fade to black or something. then i just have to get up there and play some paul gilbert and blow the kid out of the water.

hell, it's half the reason i go to guitar center.

anyway, TS, show him up. do it.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
i get that too much. if you really are good he'll realize he's retarded for talking to you like that when he hears you play.
Quote by Its_Rock77
so whats the point? did you ever think that maybe hes good?

he's talked to me about punk songs that he can play and even if what he does play is crap in skill he's my friend and maybe I can teach him stuff and get something going
Most great guitarists are self-taught... look at Hendrix, for example...
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
there's this kid at my school named Nate who thinks he's in San Francisco in 1984 drinking with Chuck Billy and Paul Baloff. he's always bragging about his badass thrash band. turns out he can't even play whiplash by Metallica.
Walking around my school, there's usually someone with a guitar in a Year 10 or 11 form room, showing off. And they're usually crap. But it's funny to watch .
Quote by Robb987123Bass
Most great guitarists are self-taught... look at Hendrix, for example...

i didnt say self-taught guitarists are **** and he's not hendrix so wats the point of the comparison. i was self-taught until 2 weeks ago
Videotape it, man, and show us the uber pwnage
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by metallifan1
there's this kid at my school named Nate who thinks he's in San Francisco in 1984 drinking with Chuck Billy and Paul Baloff. he's always bragging about his badass thrash band. turns out he can't even play whiplash by Metallica.

wtf elaborate.
Quote by DougC84
indeed. it's always great to hear someone screw up some slow metallica solo, like the intro to fade to black or something. then i just have to get up there and play some paul gilbert and blow the kid out of the water.

hell, it's half the reason i go to guitar center.

anyway, TS, show him up. do it.

haha
when i go there the only thing i can think to play is improv blues licks
but people stand behind me and listen all the time (and the employees talk to me like someone who knows what there doing) so it is fun to show off there
seems like the better people get the more they stop bragging that they play guitar
R.I.P JIMI

member of the Seinfeld fan club --pm the_experience to join
thats like my friend that can't play till he started taking lessons a month ago... he didn't know any chords so he... MADE THEM UP! and im like wtf i thought you could play. he try'd to get me to agree with him that fender is owned by gibson to the point when he was over he looked it up on google... then i laughed in his face when he was wrong. he does this with everything like i asked him if he knew what a fat strat was. and he was like yea those big guitars that totally suck. and i said yea, im getting one
Every guitarist I've met pretty much brags about how they can play Master of Puppets and yet they can't write an original song to save their lives.
Yes I get that alot, but when they say something like, "D00DE! LEIK EYE COULZ PROLLY PLAY TEH METALLICAZ SHIZNAYY!!!111one!!!!eleven!!!!1," I just say cool and ignore them. There's no point in teaching someone who doesn't want to learn.

Quote by Elohel
Every guitarist I've met pretty much brags about how they can play Master of Puppets and yet they can't write an original song to save their lives.

or they play MoP with alternate picking.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
There's a danger of this thread turning into a "So I was in Guitar Center one day, and this emo kid was playing a **** solo through a half stack, and I sat there pulling the most amazing solo ever out of my arse with a Fender Blues Junior, and he just sat there, staring stupidly at me" thread.
learn the intro to symphony x's song "inferno" its pretty muich a simple scale run. the only hard part for beginning guitarists is getting their alternate picking down correctly for it. every beginner has this problem with alternate picking.

my cousin tried teaching me that song back when i thought i was the **** cuz i could play master of puppets and i realized how awful i was when i couldnt get my left and right hands in synch with each other. you should do the same to this kid
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
wtf elaborate.

He's talking about the Thrash scene in the 80s, Chuck Billy being the singer for Testament and Whiplash by Metallica being very simple, thus showing that this Nate guy isn't very good at guitar.

I mean, even the solo is mostly pentatonic wank, and the entire song is composed of about 3 simple, power-chord riffs
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
I dont like to show off on guitar unless people ask to see me play....I know I can play better than the other people at my school....I dont need to show off to make myself think that...I play for different reasons than other said guitarists.
Quote by shut_up_n00b
Yes I get that alot, but when they say something like, "D00DE! LEIK EYE COULZ PROLLY PLAY TEH METALLICAZ SHIZNAYY!!!111one!!!!eleven!!!!1," I just say cool and ignore them. There's no point in teaching someone who doesn't want to learn.

he said he could learn a lot from me,but i dont noe y he brags though
My friend Brianna.
Oh man.
She owns this cheap fender, doesn't know what tab is, can play a total of zero songs, but thinks she's the ****.
i look down at my hands,
like they were mirrors.
Quote by edwardthegreat5
He's talking about the Thrash scene in the 80s, Chuck Billy being the singer for Testament and Whiplash by Metallica being very simple, thus showing that this Nate guy isn't very good at guitar.

I mean, even the solo is mostly pentatonic wank, and the entire song is composed of about 3 simple, power-chord riffs

yea i noe who those guys are and metallica i love thrash it was just weird how u said he thinks he's with those ppl
Quote by ENIGMATIC.
My friend Brianna.
Oh man.
She owns this cheap fender, doesn't know what tab is, can play a total of zero songs, but thinks she's the ****.

wtf ur friend sounds stupid as ****
lol....i freaking LOVE IT when people compare someone's skill to being able to play a song by a band or not.

who the **** cares if you can play some song by Metallica?
I can't, yet I don't suck and nobody thinks I suck, in fact most people say i'm "...pretty damn good".

i don't know how to play Whiplash metallifan1.....tell me i suck.
really.....just...just tell me i suck holy hell.
i can't play some of the most boring songs in the world that show some skill.....tell
me I FREAKING SUCK

/rant

yes i have, i just play some complex riff and they turn the other way.
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
lol....i freaking LOVE IT when people compare someone's skill to being able to play a song by a band or not.

who the **** cares if you can play some song by Metallica?
I can't, yet I don't suck and nobody thinks I suck, in fact most people say i'm "...pretty damn good".

i don't know how to play Whiplash metallifan1.....tell me i suck.
really.....just...just tell me i suck holy hell.
i can't play some of the most boring songs in the world that show some skill.....tell
me I FREAKING SUCK

/rant

yes i have, i just play some complex riff and they turn the other way.

yea i noe wat u mean the other day i read something about zakk wylde talking **** about dave grohl b/c he cant play mr crowley.
Quote by edwardthegreat5

yeah. that's what i meant. i thought they were criticising me of being too elaborate, not prompting me to elaborate.
These threads always turn into "n00b messed up an easy song, while I blew his mind by playing Yngwie Malmsteen's "Far Beyond the Sun" perfectly without missing a note"
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
to answer the quesiton ya i have, but i dont feel the need to show them up or anything. i say, hell, we were all noobies once, y show off to one and discourage them.

i was kinda the opposite when i was a noobie, when people showed off to me it made me think "one day i will be doing that", but not thats not the same with everyone.

bragging is just making up for what one wishes they had. so y brag back, doesnt it make u do the same thing u thought of the noobie for bragging in the first place...
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
he said he could learn a lot from me,but i dont noe y he brags though

Maybe because he feels intimidated. When I first met guitarists somewhat better than me (experienced I should say), I'd get scared and start bragging just so I wouldn't look like a n00b. Though now I realize that I looked more like a n00b for bragging.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
I dont show off with words. I wait until I get onstage. Im the one with 2 serious groupies. not them.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
im not saying i want to show off to him and be like ZOMG I PWN3D U SOO BAD N00B! he told me he plays he started bragging and im gonna go to his house to play with him to see if something could be started there. my friends would do the same with me when i was starting out only i wouldnt brag to them i knew i sucked and with time id be able to play at a level equal to theirs
Quote by guitarist_with_
I dont show off with words. I wait until I get onstage. Im the one with 2 serious groupies. not them.

lol groupies are nice

had a few when i was in my last band hehe
Page 1 of 2