So lately I have been practicing the above mentioned style and I've been wondering. For doing 16th notes at pretty high tempos what is better? The 321321321 Steve Harris style or the 3212321232123 Steve Digiorgio Style?

What are some good excercizes to increase the speed of whichever style. Scales like this confuse me a lot cause it requires a lot more thinking as to which finger to use for the next note. If you have an excersize can you provide me with a link?

Cheers,
Victor.

P.S. I'm not English but the cheers thing is cool phrase.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
just find a riff you can play really good and speed it up to where your having trouble keeping the quality of the playing and then keep it there, working out your fingers to that speed/tempo.
btw: thats how im teaching myself bass
Quote by bassburton
So lately I have been practicing the above mentioned style and I've been wondering. For doing 16th notes at pretty high tempos what is better? The 321321321 Steve Harris style or the 3212321232123 Steve Digiorgio Style?

What are some good excercizes to increase the speed of whichever style. Scales like this confuse me a lot cause it requires a lot more thinking as to which finger to use for the next note. If you have an excersize can you provide me with a link?

Cheers,
Victor.

P.S. I'm not English but the cheers thing is cool phrase.

I personally would use the 321321 style because with the 321232123 the middle finger is doing a lot more work compared to the other two.

to me it doesn't make sense to force one finger to do more work than the others.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.

3 2  1 3    3 2  1 3  2 1  3  2    
G|-7-7--5-5--------------------5-5---|
D|-------------7-7--5-5--7-7---------|
A|---------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------|

confuzes the hell out of me.

it cycles 3 times
starts slow
then after you can do it with out thinking, go faster
use a metronome!!!

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Start by using your third finger in the stuff you would normally play with two fingers. Than start to tap with your third finger just to make it hard. That is going to be your main problem. The third finger is normally very soft so you should make it harder. And after all of that just practice chromatics with three fingers going 12321232123212321 and so on.
The jazz student
i thought steve harris played with 4, and steve with 5....

well, IMO useing 3 fingers isn't worth the effort, if you're gonna use more than 2, i'd say use 4... but thats just me (i have a hard time get 8ths even with 3... but i can get nice tiplets with 4...weird)
anyways, i'd do some chromatic stuff to get your right hand doing diff things than your left... you'll find out what i mean when you do this

....3 2 1 3 2 1 1 3 1 3 2 1 3 2 1 3 2 1 3 2 2 1 3 2
1|------------------------------1-3-2-4-2-4-3-5-----------
2|--------------------1-3-2-4----------------------2-4-3-5
3|----------1-3-2-4------------------------------------------ect.
4|-1-3-2-4---------------------------------------------------
or do any combo of 1,2,3 and 4 without repeating. METRONOME, STRAIGHT 8ths/16ths
Steve Harris has only ever played with 2 fingers, I've seen them live twice and got a good view of his technique and it's only 2 fingers. He was asked this question in an interview with bass player magazine and said despite all the myths and whatever of him using 3 or 4 fingers etc. he has never used more than 2. Just thought I'd clear that up because it gets on my nerves.

And TS, going 321321 will probably give you a more triplet-y feel, try them both and see which one you prefer, I personally would use 32123212 thought because I think it gives a more even sound.

EDIT: For exercises, start on one string to get the rhythm right, then when you really feel you can get the rhythm without having to think about it, move onto practising things that involve string changes, like your scales.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Last edited by indie-bassist at Oct 22, 2007,
it was a bass guitar magazine interview. i own the magazine and can vouch that steve only used 2.

On topic: I use 321321321 because why should the ring finger be fored to work more. After you work on technique you will still get an even sound like this.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by creepingjesus73
Indie - have you got the source for that story? 'WatchingMeFall and Anarkee mentioned it a while ago, but didn't have it.

The interview seems to have been taken off the bassplayer website which is a bit annoying.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I use 321321321. You don't have to overwork the middle finger, although I can see why some people would find 32123212 better, 4/4 time signatures etc.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
With enough practice you can get the 321232123 style really fast and not overwork the middle finger because it becomes and automatic movement. When you start practicing, the movement feels really, really awkward and seems like it hurts, but you just need to keep practicing to build up muscle memory. As for which of the two techniques are better, its good to use both. If you want to play fast, use the 321232123 technique and if you want to do fast triplets, do the 321321321 technique.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Yup. The 321321321321 sorta puts you into a triplety mind, because you start to thing 321-321-321-321-321-321.

With 321232123212321, you're just going backwards and forwards, like you're alternating.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I personally would use the 321321 style because with the 321232123 the middle finger is doing a lot more work compared to the other two.

to me it doesn't make sense to force one finger to do more work than the others.

+1.

BUT:

Steve Harris plays with two fingers, not three.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
I go 3213-2132-1321. It's hard going like this in the beginning 'cos you easily switch to triplets or a galloping rhythm, but with practice you'll get it.. I find the 3212-3212 awkward because the middle finger does more than the other fingers, but I practice using it anyway 'cos it fits better in 4/4. But honestly I can easily just 2 fingers for 16th on the same note unless it's extremely fast, I normally just use the third finger for moving across strings
I found it easy, for me, to do 3211-2332-1123-3211. I call it the Three-Fingered Snake Finger Pick Style (I like old kung-fu movies). I do a set of the "321" down to the body and a "123" with my fingernails. It's slightly more complicated, but it works for me.
GAS List:
Nothing
I tried 123 but it was uncomfortable and i found it a little clumsy. I kept bringing my middle and ring finger down at the same time.
GAS List:
Nothing
I do 123123 or 321321 depending on the notes, if its ascending ill go 123 and if its descending ill go 321. That is because I only use the third finger for triplets or when three notes are played on one string (ex:major scale). \

For 4/4 I just use two fingers.
I'm trying to get the 3 finger technique down. I use 3-2-1-3-2-1 if it's a strict maiden-style gallop, as I can't use 2 fingers. But I'm trying to teach myself the 3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2, etc technique for 16th notes in 4/4. If I tried to use the 3-2-1-3-2-1 for anything that wasn't a gallop, it would soon become a gallop.

So my words of advice: avoid the 3-2-1-3-2-1 or 1-2-3-1-2-3 unless you want to gallop.
signature