They've since signed to Columbia, but they'll always be indie for me. That said, I hadn't listened to these guys in ages, but I popped in Crane Wife this morning and pretty much couldn't stop listening. My intensity about The Decemberists comes and goes, but I'd say, when it comes, it *comes*. And their songs are surprisingly quite easy to play.

Anyone else into them?
yea they're pretty sweet. but yea i can definitely only listen to em in stages, they get annoying after a week or so. but a few weeks later i'll be into em again.
Meh.

Mehhhhhh.

I don't care how good the band is, when they sign with a major label like that, a little fragment of my love for them is broken off.

Go ahead, sling "music snob" insults at me. I can't help it.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Quote by K-Lizzle
Meh.

Mehhhhhh.

I don't care how good the band is, when they sign with a major label like that, a little fragment of my love for them is broken off.

Go ahead, sling "music snob" insults at me. I can't help it.

especially when there were on as cool a label as KRS.

yes, i do love the decembersts. crane wife was kind of meh for me though.
Crane Wife/The Tain/a random playlist of stuff from Picaresque+HerMajesty...+Castaways is always on repeat at some point during the week
They are sooo good. I had kind of forgotten about them then the other day when I was walking to class I turned them on again and I love them again.
I dislike the dude's faux-british singing voice.

The dude also really looks like Ben Gibbard.

That's all I have to say about this band.
The thing about the major record deal, I don't know anyone that knows them now that didn't know them when they were on KRS and JB, so to me, there hasn't really been much of a change other than slowly losing a bit of their touch. Favourite is still 'Castaways & Cutouts' and the track 'Odalisque'.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
The Crane Wife is absolutely amazing, but I also am a big fan of Her Majesty. I love "Los Angeles, I'm Yours" and "Song For Myla Goldberg".
I sell ponies.
Quote by uhh_me?
especially when there were on as cool a label as KRS.

yes, i do love the decemberists. crane wife was kind of meh for me though.

Yeahyeah. Kinda like with Interpol. I mean, they were on Matador. Matador! Why on earth would they want to change that?

And Crane Wife was definitely meh. I'm not saying it's bad, just... meh.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Quote by Andrewbiles
The thing about the major record deal, I don't know anyone that knows them now that didn't know them when they were on KRS and JB, so to me, there hasn't really been much of a change other than slowly losing a bit of their touch. Favourite is still 'Castaways & Cutouts' and the track 'Odalisque'.

You're right, most of the people I know that them knew them before they signed to Columbia. I don't see what the big deal is with trying to secure a comfortable future for Colin Meloy jr.
Besides, I think the Crane Wife is really ace, Track 2 is great.
Odalisque is incredibly powerful, although I don't enjoy playing it if my jewish friend is around
Quote by nophilip
The Crane Wife is absolutely amazing, but I also am a big fan of Her Majesty. I love "Los Angeles, I'm Yours" and "Song For Myla Goldberg".

that ****ing thing cost me $25 bucks at the hmv a long time ago. damn them! but yes i like those songs too.
so i've decided the second half of picaresque is much better than the first half. any thoughts?

also, wikipedia tells me "the mariner's revenge song" was recorded in one take around one microphone. that's so cool.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join

last.fm
I see this band, more importantly 'The Crane Wife', everywhere I go. And to be honest, I'm getting really tired of it.

I can't look up or check out any albums without that one coming up as a reccomendation. It needs to stop.
Quote by julio1987
You're right, most of the people I know that them knew them before they signed to Columbia. I don't see what the big deal is with trying to secure a comfortable future for Colin Meloy jr.
Besides, I think the Crane Wife is really ace, Track 2 is great.
Odalisque is incredibly powerful, although I don't enjoy playing it if my jewish friend is around

Meh, only if you've got 10 Jewish chimney sweeps round. Bit of a harsh line, but the song is fantastic. Used to play it every morning driving to Uni.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Fugazirancid
so i've decided the second half of picaresque is much better than the first half. any thoughts?

also, wikipedia tells me "the mariner's revenge song" was recorded in one take around one microphone. that's so cool.

Definitely going to agree with the Picaresque bit. Although, I'm a complete sucker for "We Both Go Down Together."

Picaresque is pretty much my favorite album.
I saw them last night at Cornell. It was absolutely insane. They honestly rocked out unexpectedly and Colin sang through a cold with an intensity that surprised me. Highlights include Here I Dreamt I was an Architect into Dreams, Record Year (I hadn't heard this song before and I love the lyrics. Colin did it basically solo and was really solid), Culling of the Fold was insane, Colin climbed the rafters and was singing and dancing throughout the entire song whilst semi-drunk, The Perfect Crime #2 was awesome live, as was the Island cycle. Valencia was amazing. Basically, the 2nd half of the set was just ohhh so good.

Setlist:
Shanty for Arethusa
July July
Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect (into Dreams)
Valerie Plame
O New England
The Bachelor and the Bride
Leslie Ann Levine
We Both Go Down Together
Record Year
Culling of the Fold (including Colin Meloy going crazy and climbing the rafters whilst singing)
The Perfect Crime #2 (Insane is all I can say)
The Island/Come and See/Landlord's Daughter/You Won't Feel the Drown
Dracula's Daughter->O! Valencia
Black Water intro into 16 Military Wives
--encore--
The Raincoat Song
Sons and Daughters
They more than made up for it with the rest of their set. I'm glad they kept rocking out through the second half and didn't slow it down into their softer stuff. It would have been nice as an encore, but I forgive them
Anyone pick up any of the new singles?
I bought the first from Jealous Butcher expecting the whole set, but turns out it was a charge just for one single. $22! What a rip off.

RateYourMusic
Quote by sre9981
I saw them last night at Cornell. It was absolutely insane. They honestly rocked out unexpectedly and Colin sang through a cold with an intensity that surprised me. Highlights include Here I Dreamt I was an Architect into Dreams, Record Year (I hadn't heard this song before and I love the lyrics. Colin did it basically solo and was really solid), Culling of the Fold was insane, Colin climbed the rafters and was singing and dancing throughout the entire song whilst semi-drunk, The Perfect Crime #2 was awesome live, as was the Island cycle. Valencia was amazing. Basically, the 2nd half of the set was just ohhh so good.

Setlist:
Shanty for Arethusa
July July
Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect (into Dreams)
Valerie Plame
O New England
The Bachelor and the Bride
Leslie Ann Levine
We Both Go Down Together
Record Year
Culling of the Fold (including Colin Meloy going crazy and climbing the rafters whilst singing)
The Perfect Crime #2 (Insane is all I can say)
The Island/Come and See/Landlord's Daughter/You Won't Feel the Drown
Dracula's Daughter->O! Valencia
Black Water intro into 16 Military Wives
--encore--
The Raincoat Song
Sons and Daughters

I hear their show in Baltimore did not stand up to their usual glory.
Wow, ending on Sons & Daughters must have been excellent!
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by Andrewbiles
Anyone pick up any of the new singles?
I bought the first from Jealous Butcher expecting the whole set, but turns out it was a charge just for one single. $22! What a rip off.

Yeah I've seen some people with these but I can't afford the vinyl it's like $15 a volume and it's three different volumes. Were you paying for overseas shipping or was that like an import price?
Quote by waldorphPRS41
Yeah I've seen some people with these but I can't afford the vinyl it's like $15 a volume and it's three different volumes. Were you paying for overseas shipping or was that like an import price?

Bought it direct from Jealous Butcher. It was $10 for US residents but $16 international and then in paypal they added another $6!
Waste of money.
If I had used more thought I would have gone to the Rough Trade releases and bought all three volumes (7" format) for the price of that one record!

RateYourMusic
i just got the singles all on one cd from Capitol. they sent it to the radio station, so i paid $0.
Quote by uhh_me?
i just got the singles all on one cd from Capitol. they sent it to the radio station, so i paid $0.

Alright for some. Bet it doesn't look as nice though...

RateYourMusic
that is for sure...it is just a cd-r in a cardboard sleeve. boring and hard to distinguish.
Time to revive this thread. Anyone listening to Hazards of Love? I'm going through my second listen now, really like it so far. Decemberists with balls is what I'd describe it as . I mean, I love the soft songs like Engine Driver and Eli, but this album is very different. Very heavy on electric guitar compared to the usual stuff.

I hope they tour Europe soon, I've seen them every time they came here since I've started listening to them (which was, just to add to a discussion from months ago, before they signed their major label deal ).
Rockin' the Gibson SG Standard Cherry!
wow its really impossible not to listen to this album straight through. Everything flows so nicely. i definitely reccommend giving this album a listen. I think its really good.
I discovered the decemberists about 2 years ago, I had a year long VIP pass to the NORVA, in Norfolk, VA, to all the shows, etc. and I just happened to go the night that The Decemberists were playing, loved them, they put on and AWESOME show. I've since seen them twice more and have all of their albums.