hey all.

would anyone be able to give me a list of usb recording interfaces that i could use to record guitar and vocals onto my computer?
thanks
Toneport UX2.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
do you have usb 2.0? older usb is slow and results in delays between you playing and the computer registering, it makes playing over a track a lot more difficult, although still possible.

usb 2.0 still has a delay but it is practically negligible, a few milliseconds.

if your computer has a firewire port (you can buy a firewire card for about £5-£10 ($10-20) provided your computer has a free slot, it would be best, but usb 2.0 should do fine
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
^ the mic isn't great, we have it for our singer.

the mic that comes with the firewire version is quite good though, slightly thinner sounding than a sm57 (or 58? whichever is the all-round one) but definitely worth the £30 or so it costs
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Any of the Digitech modeling processors, models RP150 and above, have USB connectivity.

I've got one myself, and it's great fun.

Example of people using them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH751-ikpOI
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by FacingUsAll
Toneport UX2.

+1 for the tone port, has a good range of amp and pre amp modles and can also be used jsut for micing up an amp in the normal way, although ableton only alows for four tracks, unless there is a way around that????
just got hold of a m-audio fast track usb, secondhand, so hopefully this does the trick

thanks for all your suggestions
Quote by The_0thersid3
+1 for the tone port, has a good range of amp and pre amp modles and can also be used jsut for micing up an amp in the normal way, although ableton only alows for four tracks, unless there is a way around that????

I bought Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio; I didn't much care for the Ableton Live Lite either.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I just ordered a Line 6 Toneport UX1 (the $129.99 version). I looked all around the internet looking for the best bang for my buck and it kept going back to that product for quality and price. I saw some less expensive that seemed wretched and some that were more expensive that gave less quality.

there's a $200 version that will let you record two guitars, or a guitar and bass simultaneously. but I just bought the one that had one guitar jack and mic jack because I'm going to be doing all the recording myself. I'll just add the bass in second.

I haven't recieved it yet, so I can't speak for quality yet. but everything I've heard has been fairly positive.

here's a link
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-TonePort-UX1-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249700
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
I got the UX2 too, I use it with Cubase SX. The modeling is decent, but I'm looking forward to getting a decent mic, so I can use my amp.