Hey guys, I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna get an ESP Eclipse II pretty soon, in either VB or SW finish, which both come with EMGs. While I like EMGs, (I have an 81/85 combo in my Strat), I want to change it up, try something new, and also have something a teensy bit less harsh sounding, while still having a lot of clarity.

My current rig is my customized Strat going into a Boss TU-2, a Fulltone OCD, and a Weeping Demon wah, into a Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25 combo. I'm going to be adding in an EHX Small Clone and some type of delay soon.

For this clarity I'm talking about in the pickups, I came up with a Seymour Duncan SH-10 Full Shred, with a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro in the neck, for good cleans. I don't really know how this combo would pan out as I haven't heard of anyone using these two together, but how do you guys think it would work in an Eclipse? Keep in mind, the Eclipse II is mahogany neck, mahogany back, and maple top.

As for my playing style, I play a lot of.. hard rock and heavy metal, I guess you'd say. Some of the bands I like to cover are Coheed and Cambria, Mastodon, Fall of Troy, and Metallica. Nothing that takes a TERRIBLE amount of gain, but a fair amount. I play heavier stuff once in a while, but thats the general area I stay in.

So yeah, how would they sound? Keep in mind I'm looking for clarity in my tone, while still not sounding sterile. Thanks in advance!
a seymour duncan Custom Custom in the bridge? and a Jazz in the neck position possibly?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
a seymour duncan Custom Custom in the bridge? and a Jazz in the neck position possibly?

I just did a sound sample of the Custom Custom and it was nice! I'll look into that one along with the Full Shred then, as they both seem to be focused towards the mids and treble. I think the Custom Custom, in order of bass/middle/treble, has ratings of like 3/7/7, while, the Full Shred has 4/8/8, so I imagine they're pretty close in terms of tone. Sadly they don't any samples of the Full Shred.
:0

You're getting an eclipse now? NICE!

I can't really say anything (since I haven't played around with much pickups), but--ever take a look into BKP's?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Blah! Joey, if we ever do meet up, you can always try my guitar out.

See if you like it or not.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Haha, thanks Jin. Yeah we should jam sometime, maybe meet up in Dans Guitars or something.
Quote by JoeBender
Haha, thanks Jin. Yeah we should jam sometime, maybe meet up in Dans Guitars or something.

NOOOOOOOO!!!

I always have the feeling that Dan hates me and Cedrick's going to eat me or something.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee

NOOOOOOOO!!!

I always have the feeling that Dan hates me and Cedrick's going to eat me or something.

Haha, I guess the staff can be a little insense sometimes. I also don't like the fact that, while one of the guys recommended the Fulltone OCD like you did, he also recommended a Line6 Spider to me one time. I thought he knew his stuff but I think he's just trying to sell whatever they have. :P
About the pickups though, one more possibility I'm looking into for the bridge position is the the SD George Lynch Screamin' Demon. Thoughts?
I like the idea of a Custom Custom, but I think it would be better paired with a SH-1 '59.

Also, the Custom Custom may be too fat in the mahogany-bodied Eclipse. Perhaps use an SH-5 Custom or an SH-14 Custom 5. The Custom 5 has a lot of top end bite, IMO, and can do metal, but I like to use mine for AC/DC type tones. The SH-5 is a bit more aggressive, and a little harsher due to it's ceramic magnet. That one can definitely do metal.
Alright, how does this sound? A George Lynch SH-12 in the bridge, with an SH-2 Jazz model in the neck?