ok. do any of you vj players play metal, and if so
what distortion pedal do you use? im thinking of getting a vj with a ehx metal muff (vj is the only tube amp i can afford, and the only cheap one where i live)
I use a modded VJ head with a Metal Muff and (generally) a 2x12 with a G12T-75 and a V30.

Killer metal sound. Really great. I dont think the combo is too great for it though.

The VJ takes pedals really well, so try out everything you can with your guitar to see what you like.
anybody that sells epiphone will happily order a VJ head in for you.

My main VJ head has Gain switch, NFB switch, master volume, and a bunch of other things
Well it's not what I'd recommend for metal, or live work - but that said, I did a Battle of the bands in front of 1000 people with the combo. It was almost loud enough but I had to mic it for that bit of extra punch. I boosted the volume a lot with an Overdrive to get lots of gain without all the Speaker breakup and to shape the tone a bit, and I got a sweet Hot-Rod Classic Rock tone.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i have a valve junior and I play metal. however, when i play metal, i use my other amp, if that tells you anything...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bump...i have the same question.

Money is a problem, my parents aren't really wanting to spend a lot on an amp. That said, neither am I.

I play metal, and I don't really need volume. Besides, I can find a 2x12 for cheap around here, its just good cheap tube amps that are a problem. I'm thinking of Guitar > Metal Muff > VJ > 2x12 cab, good combo for metal?
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
Quote by racerXazn
I'm thinking of Guitar > Metal Muff > VJ > 2x12 cab, good combo for metal?

the only thing wrong with this setup is the part in bold.

for my heavier needs, which arent too metalz anyway, i use a DS1 and an eq after the ds1 to shape the tone of it. works pretty well; but it isnt exactly metal.
Quote by boardsofcanada
the only thing wrong with this setup is the part in bold.

for my heavier needs, which arent too metalz anyway, i use a DS1 and an eq after the ds1 to shape the tone of it. works pretty well; but it isnt exactly metal.

but can you make it metal? Sure it seems like such a nice think-of-good-things amp. But I want to turn it into a power metal machine, so not really insane high gain but enough. Kinda like a neoclassical tone.
^probably not. never heard of a mod that raises the gain that much. u must alter the original circuit and add more tubes for that.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by racerXazn
but can you make it metal? Sure it seems like such a nice think-of-good-things amp. But I want to turn it into a power metal machine, so not really insane high gain but enough. Kinda like a neoclassical tone.

your definition of metal is different than mine, im sure.
the ds1 tends to be fuzzy at higher settings, and lower settings arent tooo high gain. the way i have it set up is with the ds1's Distortion set to max and have my guitar's volume at about 7-8 for normal riffage and when i want that saturated fuzz boost i max the guitar's volume. a metal muff or some other 'more metal than a ds1 pedal' pedal would be better, but for my needs im satisfied.

edit: i did an impedence mod that allows the guitar's signal to hit the preamp...less impeded lol. it sounds tons better. more open, clear, jangly. without it it seems like an invisible blanket is covering the amp. also makes it break up a little faster, obviously. i also did a mod right before the signal hits the preamp tube again and jumpered the 1megohm resistor there, but that made it WAY too gainy in more of an 'im destroying the amp and killing the tubes' than a gainy overload in a good way.
Last edited by boardsofcanada at Dec 13, 2007,
Quote by boardsofcanada
your definition of metal is different than mine, im sure.
the ds1 tends to be fuzzy at higher settings, and lower settings arent tooo high gain. the way i have it set up is with the ds1's Distortion set to max and have my guitar's volume at about 7-8 for normal riffage and when i want that saturated fuzz boost i max the guitar's volume. a metal muff or some other 'more metal than a ds1 pedal' pedal would be better, but for my needs im satisfied.

edit: i did an impedence mod that allows the guitar's signal to hit the preamp...less impeded lol. it sounds tons better. more open, clear, jangly. without it it seems like an invisible blanket is covering the amp. also makes it break up a little faster, obviously. i also did a mod right before the signal hits the preamp tube again and jumpered the 1megohm resistor there, but that made it WAY too gainy in more of an 'im destroying the amp and killing the tubes' than a gainy overload in a good way.

Lol yeh I've heard a few people who have told me about modding. Is it fairly easy? I'm thinking of going into that kind of stuff, like pedal building and stuff.

Thanks for the info btw. My metal is sort of Yngwie Malmsteen tone/Ironmaidenish and dragonforce/sonata arctica/paul gilbert/ dethklok...as you can see my tone is kind of the best of everyworld lol.
its surprisingly easy. once you arent afraid of the fact that merely Opening the amp up voids the warranty and you have enough money to replace one of the stock resistors if you mess up a lead, its more scary to think about than to do. it depends how far youre willing to go down the rabbit hole. one thing i plan on doing when i get the right part is a master volume, but if you also want to add more tubes, a negative feedback switch, pentode/triode switchable, and bright switch, all the more power to you. i still have yet to make a v847 wah out of my dead crybaby's shell and some perfboard; ill be doing that for my modding fix rather than make my VJ into a mesa wannabe concoction.
Quote by boardsofcanada
its surprisingly easy. once you arent afraid of the fact that merely Opening the amp up voids the warranty and you have enough money to replace one of the stock resistors if you mess up a lead, its more scary to think about than to do. it depends how far youre willing to go down the rabbit hole. one thing i plan on doing when i get the right part is a master volume, but if you also want to add more tubes, a negative feedback switch, pentode/triode switchable, and bright switch, all the more power to you. i still have yet to make a v847 wah out of my dead crybaby's shell and some perfboard; ill be doing that for my modding fix rather than make my VJ into a mesa wannabe concoction.

I'm trying to get an amp that will last me, and something I can call my own I guess. I love to build things, heck I've wanted to build a guitar but hey, no time. Gotta focus on school. Modding seems a lot easier, maybe a few weekends would do it. I dunno though, probably for the first year or two i'd probably keep it stock because of school. So just wondering if it will hold up for metal, like just a metal muff > VJ like i said before. But yeh, even as soon as I get it I'll start researching about mods and stuff. Owning would be nice, but also making it unique would be great
you'd be trying to make a fender into a mesa via a pedal. and the pedal would cost more than the amp. its totally your choice. just make sure its worth it to you.
Quote by boardsofcanada
you'd be trying to make a fender into a mesa via a pedal. and the pedal would cost more than the amp. its totally your choice. just make sure its worth it to you.

Mesa...not really. I don't know, maybe marshallish? Heres and example of the kind of tone:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_IYe5JTZ4

Its Yngwie Malmsteen, so if you know him already (you probably do) then you don't have to click the link. Kind of marshall tone eh. So probably could work, but I'm only basing that on the fact that epiphone is the underling of marshall
just an analogy Dragonforce and Deathklok were what i was thinking you were going for more.
if you find a decent distortion pedal that can do what you want then sure..my only point is that if you can find a pedal that can do what you want and youre depending more on the pedal than the amp for those tones, then you can do the same thing on any other amp that might be more fitting to begin with. if you want customization and uniqueness, maybe look into building your own distortion pedal that can do exactly what you want?
Quote by boardsofcanada
just an analogy Dragonforce and Deathklok were what i was thinking you were going for more.
if you find a decent distortion pedal that can do what you want then sure..my only point is that if you can find a pedal that can do what you want and youre depending more on the pedal than the amp for those tones, then you can do the same thing on any other amp that might be more fitting to begin with. if you want customization and uniqueness, maybe look into building your own distortion pedal that can do exactly what you want?

Nah its just that cheaper is better. I would maybe play school things once in a while, but no, I don't want to join a band...no drummers are fast enough in canada....

So yes your right, I would be solely depending on the pedal for distortion. But since the budget is so low, I thought the Valve Junior would be the way to go. I'm unsure now, but my dad said that 300$ is the budget. I think he means like 150$....

Yes though, Dragonforce and Dethklok more. But I would still sort of scoop my mids and have high treble and bass.
I cant' see the Valve junior being tight enough for metal besides doom metal stuff. It could have alot of gain, but it wouldn't be the right voicing for the metal you are looking for. Maybe you can do some mods to achieve that, I don't know any, but you probably aren't going to get a tight metal tone.
12 fret fury
Quote by Punk Poser
I cant' see the Valve junior being tight enough for metal besides doom metal stuff. It could have alot of gain, but it wouldn't be the right voicing for the metal you are looking for. Maybe you can do some mods to achieve that, I don't know any, but you probably aren't going to get a tight metal tone.

Yeh probably not, but I would like an amp thats of good value, do you know any?