I've made my own beer, it's cool if you're interested in doing that sort of thing, but if you just want a way to get drunk when you are underage i wouldn't recommend it. also it's more expensive than just buying beer.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
My friend spent like 3 months making some when we were in 7th grade. He took it to school and gave it to everybody, people just got headaches. It's a complicated process, and I know how to do it, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's dangerous, and not worth it IMO. If you really have to drink, steal it or pay some one older than you. I don't recommend drinking at all though.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Yeah one of my friends makes his own wine and rum, and its pretty tasty, and if its done right its really cheap so I've got a batch of rum fermenting right now.

edit: ^ I definitely know how to do it right... the problem is when people don't remove the methanol that gets created as well... that **** can make you blind... or they blow up their still
Last edited by john_bosma at Oct 22, 2007,
Quote by john_bosma
Yeah one of my friends makes his own wine and rum, and its pretty tasty, and if its done right its really cheap so I've got a batch of rum fermenting right now.

See, what my brain can't conceive is a safe way to purify it. I'd love to see his rig, just because that kind of stuff interests me, even though I'd never build my own. The fumes are so explosive, you can't use an open flame, but would a hot plate ever bring you to the right temperature?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

yeah... you just need to keep the temp right. they make hot plates that get hot enough for anything you'd need it for... as for the purifying, most use activated carbon, like whats in a brita filter. I really shouldn't be divulging this info to a bunch of underagers, but I guess its already all over the internet
Quote by john_bosma

edit: ^ I definitely know how to do it right... the problem is when people don't remove the methanol that gets created as well... that **** can make you blind... or they blow up their still

yeah, most people I know won't go so far as to set up a still, but if you know what you are doing that could be worth it.

Last.fm

So that's your rig? Meh, major design flaw is that it will run off electricity, and putting a still in your house is suicidal.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

you're close... and its really not suicidal. I mean if you don't make a safety pressure release it could blow up and burn you, but in the small quantities I'm using its really not a threat. My still consists of a pressure cooker full of mash on the stove with a thermometer. then I run a copper pipe out the top into a condenser and then to my collection pot. the product can then be either redistilled for a higher alcohol content or filtered for purity.
Quote by CORT noob

So that's your rig? Meh, major design flaw is that it will run off electricity, and putting a still in your house is suicidal.

you could do it in a shed or something, of course that design doesn't include any form of condenser either, but I'm assuming that this dude knows you need one of those.

Quote by john_bosma
you're close... and its really not suicidal. I mean if you don't make a safety pressure release it could blow up and burn you, but in the small quantities I'm using its really not a threat. My still consists of a pressure cooker full of mash on the stove with a thermometer. then I run a copper pipe out the top into a condenser and then to my collection pot. the product can then be either redistilled for a higher alcohol content or filtered for purity.

the issue is more about the fact that distilling alcohol releases toxic fumes, I wouldn't really do it inside unless you have a damn good ventilation system.

Last.fm
my stove has a fan that sucks up the vapors, kind of like a fume hood... it works pretty well. i suspect the toxic fume you're talking about is methanol, which is only produced in tiny percentages and if your still is properly sealed you can collect it as a liquid and discard it because it vaporizes at a lower temperature than ethanol, your main product.

^ exactly what I'm after
Quote by john_bosma
my stove has a fan that sucks up the vapors, kind of like a fume hood... it works pretty well. i suspect the toxic fume you're talking about is methanol, which is only produced in tiny percentages and if your still is properly sealed you can collect it as a liquid and discard it because it vaporizes at a lower temperature than ethanol, your main product.

^ exactly what I'm after

yeah I know how to make booze, but methanol isn't the only thing, sometimes there can be some other nasty crap in there, and I wouldn't trust a stove vent fan, of course thats just me, its your ass, do whatever you want.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah I know how to make booze, but methanol isn't the only thing, sometimes there can be some other nasty crap in there, and I wouldn't trust a stove vent fan, of course thats just me, its your ass, do whatever you want.

if you distill it at the right temperature, you won't allow other unwanted products to form. there are other products formed in the reaction, but they are only present in tiny quantities and really only produce an undesirable flavor/taste. these have a higher boiling point than methanol and are easily removed at the end of distillation... by the way, thanks for the permission to do what I want, I needed that
Quote by CORT

we have a family friend who blew out the staircase on the side of his house
Quote by seljer
we have a family friend who blew out the staircase on the side of his house

I guess he'll be taking the elevator
Me and my buddy have got a barrel of beer brewin up now. There were way too many b's ain that sentence.
Co-President of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Me, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.
I've made something which I hoped to turn out like absinthe, but ended up tasting like herby wine (it was methanol free though).

The easiest way to avoid methanol is to not put anything woody in your mash - corn cobs are one of the easiest mistakes that people make. If you can temperature control your mixture and double/triple distill it, you're less likely to have methanol left in the finished product.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by john_bosma
^ what makes absinthe? that sounds interesting.

well the key ingredients are anise and wormwood, but there are a whole bunch of other herbs that go into it depending on the particular recipe.

Last.fm
Absinthe (if it's the same stuff world-wide) is something which looks like an aqua/green mouthwash, but is actually about 70%ish alcohol. It was popular in France, particularly in the late 19th century, but was made illegal for a very long time because the large amounts of oil of wormwood (according to Wikipedia, you should never drink oil of wormwood straight, as it causes death, generally) which cause people to go insane, start killing family members, etc. The oil of wormwood and other stuff (eg. thujone - I don't know what this is) also cause hallucinations, such as the "green absinthe fairy".

Thank you Wikipedia!
^ The history channel said that absinthe was used as a scapegoat for the government, so they ran attack campaigns and banned it.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

In Sweden we call that "hem bränt", and it gives you a "karate fylla" and makes you "full som snor".

The home made booze I've had had an alcohol percentage of about 60%. It was alright, I've had worse.
I've been making my own beer for awhile, I've nearly perfected the ultimate ESB recipe. My latest batch was a summer ale thats been getting rave reviews.

Right now though, I am currently equipped to make liquor as well, and I'm trying to work out the kinks of the ultimate whiskey recipe.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
I've been making my own beer for a couple of years. It doesn't cost more than buying it, there's no chance of blowing myself up, and it doesn't make methanol. You can make 23 litres of beer for about $15. My last batch was a wheat beer. I have 150 bottles of beer now, so I have to drink some to get some empty bottles again before I can make more.

I have a kit for making ginger beer too, so I'm saving plastic drink bottles for that. It brews in the bottle according to the instructions.

I made apple cider a while ago, but I lost interest and left it for too long in the fermenter and it started turning to vinegar.

I also made some wine with some chinese apples off the tree in my backyard. It tasted pretty strong while it was brewing, but I also left it too long and it turned to vinegar.

I want to try making a still soon, but pressure cookers are expensive, and I don't think mum would like me soldering copper pipe to hers. I've heard that using fruit, flowers, leaves or potatoes doesn't make methanol, but using grains will.

There's also the sugar, water, yeast method though I suppose.
What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet? I'll answer for you. NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS.
- Bill Hicks
Last edited by MrAngryEyes at Oct 22, 2007,
Last year we mixed Mint Extract 90% alcohol with sprite. It ended up tasting like peppermint gum and it didn't get you drunk. And we got an MIP for it...
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

hey i just mixed heated bread yeast solution with water+dissolved sugar mix, keppd in the dark and closed (so no oxygen enters).
a week later i had alcohol, about 5%.
so i did a freeze distillation, and reached about 15% (by taste...its approximate).
it just taste like "bread liquor". hehehe
Quote by EmeraldXecution
what the fuck does an auction
have to do with a drum battle?

god I wish I could post the pear here.....

Quote by roarinflames

btw youre avatar is great
couldnt help but laugh

Quote by bearded_monkey
I couldn't read that...I'm to mesmerized by your avatar...(in the gayest way possible)
aha me and my mate made wine in my cupboard, 5l of it. it tasted alot like cider.

make sure you sue wine yeast not the normal **** if your gunna do it.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If your vegetarian girl harasses you about eating meat, snap back with, "Eating more entirely defenseless plants that provide us with oxygen?"

That'll shut that bitch up faster than two black eyes.