I have just bought a metronome and have a idea how to use one. But i want to be sure! I know a few white stripes songs at the mo(hardest button.....,hotel yorba and some more) and wanted to make sure iam playing in the rite time.
So how do u decide how many beats in a bar is in a song,when trying to keep in time with a song??
just keep playing around with it until they are in sync with each other. thats how id do it
if you can find a power tab of the song, it usually has the bpm on the first bar, sometimes there not spot on but they give you an idea where to start.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
start with the metronome going really slowly - 60bpm. ensure it is set to 4/4.

take a 2 note per string pattern. this can be a scale, or if you want to just get the idea, you can use any pattern -

--5--7---
--5--7---
--5--7---
--5--7---
--5--7---
--5--7---

now, every time the metronome beeps, you need to play the 5. in between each beep you play the 7.

this is the best way to get a grip of playing in time.

i would recomend using the metronome to learn a scale, for example the pentatonic minor-

---12---15--
---12---15--
---12---14--
---12---14--
---12---14--
---12---15--

do the exercise with this scale and see how well you can play up to 100bpm

that is really it, you can start to try different patterns, like 3 notes per string, but still 2 notes per beep, and then 3 notes per beep etc.

when it comes to playing songs, try to keep the bars matching the time of the metronome, for example the '1beep' represents the start of each bar.

hope that helps... i need to use the metronome more, however i make a point of never writing anything without one.
Listen to the drums. The drummer is usually the main time keeper of the band. You should be able to feel a definite pulse with the bass drum and snare drum. For example, listen to "Seven Nation Army" and in the intro, the bass drum gives the song a beat. By comparing the speed of the beat to seconds in a minute, you can usually get a pretty good idea of the BPM of the song. For "Seven Nation Army", tap your foot along with the beat of the bass drum and count how many beats there are in 10 seconds. Then multiply it by 6 and that should give you a really good idea of how fast the song is, in terms of BPM.