Hi, sorry but I don't really know where the best place to make this thread is.
I've had tinnitus for a long time now, A firecracker went off at my foot when I was like 8.
I used to listen to my ipod much to loud for about a year until I learnt about hearing damage. Sometimes when I practice I'll get some ringing but it goes away after 5 minutes. I don't reguarly go to gigs.
Today, it was probaly the loudest I'd played on my amp (about 5/10) and it was pretty much right in front of me(30 cm) I was sitting on a bed and it was on the ground so about up to where my knees would be.
I played for about half an hour and ever since my ears have been ringing but the ringing has not gone away yet, is this normal and will it go away soon?
It's called tinnitus.

If it persists you should see your doctor
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Ive heard about this, it could mean becoming deaf. You have to go to the hospital and get an injection, or else the ringing will damage your ears further.
I'd imagine it'll subside eventually.

You should really be taking steps to avoid aggravating your tinnitus instead of sitting next to your amp at high volumes. Unless you're gigging, there's really no need to turn your amp to ear damaging volumes.

Quote by metacarpi
It's called tinnitus.

If it persists you should see your doctor

Read the thread, he clearly knows what condition he has.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
I know about tinnitus, and I've had it for a while.
I think the ringing is starting to go down now, thanks for the responses.
I've learnt my lesson.
If its incredibly high pitched, think of it as your ears' swansong.

You won't be able to hear as high as you could again.
Quote by jamesrad2
I know about tinnitus, and I've had it for a while.
I think the ringing is starting to go down now, thanks for the responses.
I've learnt my lesson.

MORON!! cant you hear me?? hospital NOW!
I only mentioned it because it was mentioned in TS post.

And if he knows his condition, he should also know that sitting in front of his amp with the volume turned up is a pretty stupid thing to do.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by PoorGuitarist
MORON!! cant you hear me?? hospital NOW!

I hope you're just ripping me off.
Glad to hear its subsiding dude
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
I only mentioned it because it was mentioned in TS post.

That doesn't make any sense.

Quote by jamesrad2
I've had tinnitus for a long time now

Quote by metacarpi
It's called tinnitus.

So, you were just posting in this thread to reiterate something that the thread starter already made abundantly clear?
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Smokey Amp
That doesn't make any sense.

So, you were just posting in this thread to reiterate something that the thread starter already made abundantly clear?

Typo. Whoops! I meant to put wasn't.

And the post calling it tinnitus was made whilst I wrotemy second post, so I didn't see it.

You'll also see that I put my post about it being called tinitus before he did. But whatever, I can live with it.

Sorry Smokey Amp.

Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
Glad to hear its subsiding dude

Yeah, so am I.
I've always been pretty sensible with music when it comes to headphones since I learnt my lesson about that when Dad found me watching a movie with subtitles (Mainly because I couldn't understand accents) and took me to an ear doctor. Turned out to be ok but it was enough to scare me straight. Although I think I lied to myself during the test and said I could hear stuff in the test that I couldn't. I guess I just really wanted to hear them. I can walk into my walk-in wardrobe, close the door and my ears will ring like hell and to be honest, that doesn't bother me as I don't spend much time locked up in small silent rooms, Just so long as it doesn't start to effect me when ambient noise is present.

I guess this is my scare with external noise now, I'll be sure to wear ear plugs next time. Not that I should really even have it that loud, it had just been a really bad day.
Last edited by jamesrad2 at Oct 22, 2007,