Hi guys! I'd like to know your opinions. I want to buy a new amp and its
godda be a valve. Like most guitarists I am on a tight budget My
playing style is Avenged Sevenfold type (like Syn's "broken" soloing
style and Zacky's not to complicated but in your face riffs)! I like to
play metal but not to hardcore, and then I also like to play Foo
Fighters. So it's metal and rock type stuff.

I have a Schecter Revenger (Drop D, heavy gauge strings)and a Epi SG
(Std tuning, reguraly gauge strings) with a Wylde Overdrive stomp for my
main sound. At the moment I'm using a Line 6 Spider III amp, it sounds
nice with my Schecter overdriven, but horrble on any of the clean mods
(maybe the active pickups?). My SG sounds nice clean, but overdriven is
sounds "modulated" (not "warm" and no "bite"). So I had it with
modulation amps (if that is the right term :P). I'm looking to go valve!
I've been looking at the Peavey Valve King 112 (they go for about R6000
here in South Africa, thats about 450 UK pounds), but I can't go and
play them as most of the stores don't stock them. So I think I am
looking for a High Gain amp? But I heard alot of people saying that the
Valve King isn't one. Any suggestions will be welcomed (please keep in
mind the price range) and please no Laney or Crate (I had a bad
experience with them :P).

Thanx in advance
And sorry for all the loose terms. XD

PS: Yeah I dropped the Avenged Sevenfold and Syn name in this post. I'm
not asking you what YOU think about them, so if you don't like them and
want to bad mouth them, we don't want you with your closed mindedness
thinking here! Guitarists need to stop fighting over such crap.
Marshall AVT 100X if that counts? If you want high gain go for the BOSS MT-2, best $150 i ever spent!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
^ That'd be more of a downgrade than upgrade....

Valveking would work okay, it'd need an Overdrive to get the gain tones you're after though.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by dunda130
Marshall AVT 100X if that counts? If you want high gain go for the BOSS MT-2, best $150 i ever spent!

No. Just no.
you said you've got a wylde overdrive, so that and the valveking would probably meet your gain needs, but whether it would sound any good idk, i've never tried the wylde OD.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
yeh go for an Ashdown fallen angel 40dsp if you can find one (they got discontinued), might need a Od for the heavier side without cranking it tho

edit: youv got the wylde Od, should be perfect
My friend's got an AVT100, it's a great amp, lots of "warmness", but not quite what I'm looking for.

The Ashdown Fallen Angel is definitely a amp I amp looking into, I had my eye on them about a year ago, but I kinda forgot about them :P they are VERY rare here. Again some people said they don't sound to good clean. I'll try to get some sound clips on them first.

Thanx for the response guys!
Any other suggestions?

One day I'll get my hands a Uberschall or an ENGL......in 40 years time :P
Quote by damienFROST
My friend's got an AVT100, it's a great amp, lots of "warmness", but not quite what I'm looking for.

The Ashdown Fallen Angel is definitely a amp I amp looking into, I had my eye on them about a year ago, but I kinda forgot about them :P they are VERY rare here. Again some people said they don't sound to good clean. I'll try to get some sound clips on them first.

Thanx for the response guys!
Any other suggestions?

One day I'll get my hands a Uberschall or an ENGL......in 40 years time :P

AVT? Warmness? Last time I heard an AVT it was just a wall of distorted fuzzy mess, not even close to being warm...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by dunda130

there is so much wrong with this statement I dont even know where to start.

Get a valveking, the head sounds much better than the combos thru a 2x12 or bigger. Get a decent od or tubescreamer and you wont be dissapointed. Stay as far away from the MG series amps as possible. I have the 30 and my line6 spider sounds 10 times better. (sad) The mt-2 stock is so damm thin sounding. Modded I have heard it CAN be a great pedal.
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
So it looks like its either a Valve King or an Fallen Angel so far then.

Guitar-God-Elf, thanx for the link!

fuzzyDXMG, I will be sticking to combos for a while, they meet the requirements for my "small room" setup As for the MG series...no comment! How is your C-1, I'm a biggggg Schecter fan.

I think the Wylde OD will work great for both. Maybe later on add a Dime Dist :P
i know its your choice, but i was stuck between them two, and was all set on the valveking, but then i found an ashdown fallen angel, and the distortion is just so sweet, i cant believe i coped with my spider
as i say iv never regretted getting the fallen angel for one second, just my two cents
Hey dude. I stay in Cape Town. Ive tried out ValveKing's a while back and I really wasn't impressed. If you can find a Fallen Angel check it out. I've seen them in stores here before. Good luck.
Ibanez S470 dxqm
Cort KX-Custom
Cort VX-4V DiMarzio X2N
Epiphone Les Paul Std emg81/85
Krank Rev Jr.
Marshall Valvestate S80 (8240)
Rocktron Xpression
Crybaby 95q
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9
Behringer EQ
The Mesa F-50 sounds like what you need to me. It's a 50 watt combo with a 1x12 (you can add extension cabs too if you ever gig with it).They don't make them anymore, but they go for about $600 on ebay. Besides sounding awesome for an extremely wide variety of sounds, it's a mesa, so you won't have to worry about it breaking as much, and if it does, I'm sure there are more mesa certified technicians there than ashdown, which also sounds like a decent amp, it's just impossible to top mesa when it comes to having great sounding amps that aren't in the shop all the time.
Quote by Burpin'Worm
1fine69's car is bloody gorgeous.
I'm not sure if the Fallen Angel will be the right sound for you. It's distortion is too 'brittle' and 'grainy' sounding I think. I reckon the Valveking with the OD should be pretty good for what you need it for.
Quote by Zakk_Wylde001
I'm not sure if the Fallen Angel will be the right sound for you. It's distortion is too 'brittle' and 'grainy' sounding I think. I reckon the Valveking with the OD should be pretty good for what you need it for.

he could be right, but im thinking with the OD it might just tighten things up for him?

off topic, did your ENGL come zakk_wylde?
Quote by Guitar-God-Elf
he could be right, but im thinking with the OD it might just tighten things up for him?

off topic, did your ENGL come zakk_wylde?

I (used) to play an SD-1 through my FA (essentially what a ZW OD is) and it just adds a bit more gain and takes a bit of low end out. Essentially the same sound but with more gain.

See my thread "Delivery, Mr. Bond"
Now I am confused o_O! XD

Mqwathi I saw a Valve King once here in Cape Town, thats why I'm quering about it now. Can you remember where you saw it? I know Musicfest sold Ashdown awhile back.

The sound I'm looking for is Syn's (will only get with an Uberschall) on the Critical Acclaim song (http://www.myspace.com/avengedsevenfold) but still something different (don't want someone eleses sound :P)

But at least I got some options now to try out and we narrowed it down to 2 strong contenders, now it's all about personal preference.

thanx alot guys!
Last edited by damienFROST at Oct 22, 2007,
There is a small store in Durbanville called "It's Music". I saw one there a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty much impossible to get Mesa here in SA so forget about the F-50. Unless you somehow find one 2nd hand.
Ibanez S470 dxqm
Cort KX-Custom
Cort VX-4V DiMarzio X2N
Krank Rev Jr.
Rocktron Xpression
Crybaby 95q
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9
Behringer EQ
Thanx Mqwathi, I stay in Durbanville XD Can you maybe tell me where the shop is? I want to have a peek.

As for the MESA, I is "impossible" to get here, I've only heard of one guy that owns a MESA/Boogie, imported, every expensive stuff :P

My friend, with a good taste in gear, said that his spider-sense is tingling (XD) for the Valve King, and it will be easier to locate. And probably get a better discount on it.

I saw earlier something about a "tightening" your distorted sound, I really want that cuz this Spider III sounds messy in that sense.

But if I am able to get a hold of a Fallen Angel I will check that out two.
Quote by dunda130

No, and also no. Please.

A Valveking would be alright, and with that OD, would be where you want, I think. But TRY it first. Valvekings are either hated or loved.

Also mabye a B-53 AT-112? Or something like that...somone smart correct me please!
I consider Valvekings to be a moderate-gain amp just a little more modern sound than the Classic. The head version seems to have a little more gain than the combos. You would be pushing it to its limits for modern metal. I would put an EQ pedal in the effects loop, it makes it a little higher gain and smoothes it out somewhat. I don't know about the FA so I can't really make a comparison. When you try out any amp make sure to take your guitar with you.
I stay in Durbanville too. It's along the same street as Durbanville Spur. The valveking sounded alright on cleans and with a little gain. It really sounded very messy to me when you turn up the gain though. Maybe if you put a tubescreamer or an OD, or even an EQ pedal in front it'll maybe tighten it up. It's an ok amp but I really don't think it'll quite what you're looking for. Although compared to a Spider it's heaven.

That's just me though. Maybe you'll love it, so you gotta try it out. Take your own guitar and pedals with, they let you plug your own stuff in. I think it was going for R5000. They usually give you a bit of a discount if you pay cash too. I bought 2 guitars from them.

One last thing. Do yourself a favour and get a Behringer EQ pedal from them for about R250. It's the handiest piece of gear I ever bought. It can really make a huge difference to your sound.
Ibanez S470 dxqm
Cort KX-Custom
Cort VX-4V DiMarzio X2N
Krank Rev Jr.
Rocktron Xpression
Crybaby 95q
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9
Behringer EQ
Last edited by Mqwathi at Oct 22, 2007,
Other bands whos music I like to play is Trivium, Rammstein, Coheed and Cambria and Bullets and Octane , so hopefully that'll help a bit.

I listened to some sound clips of both the Fallen Angel and the Valve King. To ME the Fallen Angel sounds better overdriven, but they used a OD3 on the FA and just the build-in Boost on the Valve King. For a clean sound the Valve King sounds better, a bit "thicker", I like that, but maybe its just the guitar they used. Remember I will be am using a Wylde Overdrive, with the amp.

Mqwathi that Behringer EQ, whats the model name, I want to check it out.
EQ700. I think it's the only behringer eq pedal you can get. How much cash are you willing to spend on the amp? You should also maybe consider buying 2nd hand. You can find some really good deals in CapeAds every now and then.
Ibanez S470 dxqm
Cort KX-Custom
Cort VX-4V DiMarzio X2N
Krank Rev Jr.
Rocktron Xpression
Crybaby 95q
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9
Behringer EQ
I only saw a Bass EQ on their site. On the amp, no more than R6000 if that, I'll be selling my Spider III and the Xpress pedal for it. I don't mind buying second hand though, I also scoped Gumtree but no luck there. I keep an eye out for the Cape Ads. I quickly run to that shop tomorrow a lunch break :P
Cool. I saw a Peavey 5150 in the capeads a couple weeks ago for R5000. Just keep looking don't spend your money on something you don't really love.
Ibanez S470 dxqm
Cort KX-Custom
Cort VX-4V DiMarzio X2N
Krank Rev Jr.
Rocktron Xpression
Crybaby 95q
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9
Behringer EQ
Damien- The C-1 rocks!!!! I'm spoiled by the pups in my jackson so it plays in front of my pod more than the valveking.I will upgrade the C-1 when I have some spare scratch.

As many have suggested play a valveking, with YOUR guitar. I couldn't believe the difference in sound until I got real pups in my jackson. My VK went from classic rock fuzz to reasonably tight metal with hotter better pups. Hows the ebay market for gear in AF?? Always a way to get more amp for less $$ here.
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Mqwathi I saw the.spine.surfs talking about B-52 AT-112. Do we get B-52 here in SA? I've never heard of it, but it gets great reviews and on their site they tune, and I quote, "effectively producing the ultimate metal tone" so it sounds like a cool high-gain amp.

Does anyone else have any exp with B-52?

fuzzyDXMG, I'll prolly slam in some EMG 81/85 or some Seymour Jazz/JB in my Schecter soon, after this amp "problem" gets sorted. I don't want to upgrade my pups while I have this Spider III cuz there prolly be no difference in sound. The Spider's sound is so...um..."digital" :P

But yeah IF I see an amp that I want to test I'll drag my guitar along, just hope the store's assistant will play, cus I'm not gonna! XD
As far as I know B-52 does not exist in SA. At least I've never seen em. You could possibly order it but you'd pay too much then on import fees. Don't worry about the pickups until you change your amp. You will hardly notice a difference if you're using a digital amp. I actually bought my 81/85 emgs from the same shop. It cost R2000 with installation. Amps are so damn expensive here though so you really just have to be patient.

I've been searching for a new amp for ages now actually. I'm happy with my gear I have now but I still want to upgade eventually. If I had my way I'd probably be buying a Laney GH50L head and 2x12 cab.
Ibanez S470 dxqm
Cort KX-Custom
Cort VX-4V DiMarzio X2N
Krank Rev Jr.
Rocktron Xpression
Crybaby 95q
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9
Behringer EQ