Well it's taken me a fair ol' while, but I think I'm not fairly content with my rig for the time being, I'm not gonna be looking for any major upgrades for a while yet.

There's one thing that bugs me though, I strongly dislike the Dirty channel on my amp. I just feel like it's almost a waste of space and I could be putting it to good use, but instead I'm avoiding it like the plague.

I want to be able to make it useable in my playing, but I'm not entirely sure how. I've heard people saying an Overdrive can often 'tighten' up your distorted sounds. Is all I need an Overdrive to get a good tone out of my dirty channel?

I've also, however, heard that the speaker in my amp isn't all that. Would a speaker upgrade be more worthy in my situation?

if lack of an Overdrive is my problem, does anyone have any ideas as to which are some quite good ones?

If a good speaker is what I lack, I'm almost 100% certain I'd go for a Celestion V30
Quote by matt bickerton
Well it's taken me a fair ol' while, but I think I'm not fairly content with my rig for the time being, I'm not gonna be looking for any major upgrades for a while yet.

There's one thing that bugs me though, I strongly dislike the Dirty channel on my amp. I just feel like it's almost a waste of space and I could be putting it to good use, but instead I'm avoiding it like the plague.

I want to be able to make it useable in my playing, but I'm not entirely sure how. I've heard people saying an Overdrive can often 'tighten' up your distorted sounds. Is all I need an Overdrive to get a good tone out of my dirty channel?

I've also, however, heard that the speaker in my amp isn't all that. Would a speaker upgrade be more worthy in my situation?

if lack of an Overdrive is my problem, does anyone have any ideas as to which are some quite good ones?

If a good speaker is what I lack, I'm almost 100% certain I'd go for a Celestion V30

well if you require more gain and a tighten up of the sound then yes an od.
if you just hate it altogether maybe a high end distortion pedal?
but if you think maybe a different voicing will help then a speaker change.

i think these are accurate
well if it's a valve amp you could look at replacing the tubes. Going for less headroom or something. The best speaker your going to get for that amp is probably the Celeston AlNiCo Gold/Blue (i don't know if the blue works with the 30w amps but you could find out). They come at a very dear price though, imo far worth it, it will probably be the single best upgrade to your rig if you buy a Celestion AlNiCo.
Any combination of all this advice is best. Get a Maxon OD-9/OD-808, a new speaker (the Celestion V30 has LOTS of upper mids....), new valves...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.