so im not in a band, but i want to start one up in my tiny Kansas town. i know 3 other guitarists:

one who is a way better player than i, but apparently doesnt write anything of his own, and doesnt "know what hes doin" on guitar (theory, note names, scales, chord names)

one who is im gonna say even with me, but has been playin like 3 years longer, and he also doesnt know "what hes doing"

the last has been on guitar for maybe a little more than a year, the n00b.

we know a guy with a drumset who also owns a bass.

now myself, i play guitar (3 years and ive been drilling myself theory and scales since the beginning), harmonica, mandolin, banjo, piano, and trumpet. i write and have like 2 dozen songs written (lyrics and one guitar)

yeah... whats the problem right?

none of us want to play bass. im not even sure how well things would go between me and the 2nd guitarist mentioned above because hes too picky and a HUGE one-upper.

and the drummers a bitch about moving his drums around, even though it takes up 1/2 of his room at his mothers house. i live alone and have a large living room
Idk, seems like to me if you guys form a band... you will end up like Creed in a matter of minutes...

I know this isn't really good advice... but I say don't even try...

It sounds like none of you guitarists are really good enough to play in a band (No offense to you, but offense to the other two for being able to say they've 'played longer than you', yet they claim they "dont know what they're doing")

They probably just sit on their ass and lookup tabs to "freebird" and whatnot...and think they are good because they can play up until the solos...

Learn from their stupidity, friend... Don't be like that.....
Axe:
Ibanez AWD83T-TRD

Join the Anti-Nihilist Association of Life Seekers (ANALS)
If you are so unfortunate to think that life is meaningless, maybe you should end yours
Bass is fun to play. My little bro just got one and doesn't play it, so I fiddle with it.
I hate when that happens... my dad got a banjo.... he doesn't play it...

I am itching to start learning it...but I can't interupt my guitar quest... ><
Axe:
Ibanez AWD83T-TRD

If you are so unfortunate to think that life is meaningless, maybe you should end yours
First, WTF's wrong with playing bass? It's not as if it's any worse then playing guitar (or do you just want to look good infront of the girls?) and they don't have to buy one!

Try out the band with all the different line ups and see which works best! You could swap for different songs! Or just find a bass player and ditch one of the guitarists!

Drums are a pain to move around!
I don't really get where the "ego problem" is? So none of the GUITARISTS want to play bass in your band?

Just...find a bassist...

Is that the only problem? Either way, honestly, if you're serious about this, none of those people sound like good bandmates to me.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by Zatchel
Idk, seems like to me if you guys form a band... you will end up like Creed in a matter of minutes...

isnt Creed a christian band? alot of my stuff is highly anti-religion.

and as for them not knowing what theyre doing... :P i know it well enough to tell them "where to play".. i do think its dumb that none of them have even bothered to learn what theyre doin..

i fvck with them when theyre at my place, when im just sittin around and fiddling around ill stop and say somethin like "saturday, 5:00 in A harmonic minor" (or whatever other scale i was noodling)

we all have a good buddy whos an extremely good bassist.. has played in a metal band live quite a few times (even though he doesnt like metal or even listen to it).. but he lives 40 mins away, and he cant come drive into town all the time cause gas is a bitch.
Quote by CodySG
I don't really get where the "ego problem" is? So none of the GUITARISTS want to play bass in your band?

...none of those people sound like good bandmates to me.

yes none of us do.. i would, but theyre my songs and i kinda have this weird "need" to play the parts that i wrote.

and this is what i have to work with... old high skool buddies who all just play some ****. though im the only writer, so nothings ever really happened. like i said small kansas town

... my step bro is an amazing drummer, but is whipped.
Quote by hippie_cune
isnt Creed a christian band? alot of my stuff is highly anti-religion.

Errrr... Creed as in, had a good run... with hits like "Higher", "One Last Breath", "My Sacrifice".....Broke up...Scott Stapp went solo, Mark Tremonti came to be known as the badass who plays lead guitar for Alter Bridge... Creed's music sometimes had christian overtones, but the band themselves was not a "Christian" band...

But anyway....yea... the guys we are dealing with here apparently <dethklok pun> 'don't knows snakes from dildos about metal' </dethklok pun>

and btw, when I start writing music, it is going to be anti-nihilist... not that I am assuming that is what your music is like... but you just sparked my memory...
Axe:
Ibanez AWD83T-TRD

ahaha anti-nihilist! thats awesome.

when i say anti-religous.. i really mean rebeliously agnostic :P

...so the creed thing wasnt an insult?

cause thats how i took it
Quote by hippie_cune
ahaha anti-bihlist! thats awesome.

when i say anti-religous.. i really mean rebeliously agnostic :P

...so the creed thing wasnt an insult?

cause thats how i took it

No, nah.... its cool, I was just being an informitive smartass.... I used to like Creed a good deal...

ty on the comment on my Anti-Nihilism... If you think this life is meaningless go ahead and end yours and stop pestering me....lol...

but yea before it happens I'm not knocking on your rebeliously agnostic musical....thing.....yea.... peace ^_^
Axe:
Ibanez AWD83T-TRD

I don't know...honestly, if you just want to like...write stuff and jam/play live, then I don't know...take turns on bass...or something.

But, if you want to MAKE music, I would probably just ditch B through D, then just write stuff yourself. Get a cheap recording set up, have your bro lay down some drums, then you do the rest.

You can make whatever kind of music you want to
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
If you care about them sucking then it wouldn't work to have someone switch to bass anyway because a guitar player moving to bass is going to suck for quite a while until he/she gets it down, if your buddy didn't get any good at guitar over 6 years he probably wouldn't get any good at bass over 6 years either. Drop a couple of the guitars ( you listed 4 right?) and play with the guy from 40 minutes away, pitch in for his gas, and tell him that he doesn't have to drive a truck just because he lives in Kansas, if he's coming over in a geo metro or something, then it's not that big of a deal.

edit* I can make fun with stereotypes about midwestern people driving huge trucks and filling up for $200 because I'm from Nebraska
AHAHAHA

he does have an old sh|tter truck..

and i drive a mini-van

.. also, i didnt say hes not good at guitar.. hes just not technical.. if i were to say "this song is in G flat, and im playing mixolydian until here where i use the blues scale" he would just look at me and say "wtf mate?" so its not like i could intelligently tell any of them whats goin on in my songs.