I've been staring at the cover of Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables by the Dead Kennedys and I realise that it's a photo of some 'flaming' cars. My question is when the photo was taken, where, why, what's the significance?

Thanks.
It's cop cars burning during riots that followed the verdict in the murder of Harvey Milk in San Francisco, i.e. the subject of their cover of "I Fought The Law".

Read all about it.

http://www-tech.mit.edu/archives/VOL_104/TECH_V104_S0810_P005.pdf
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Sucks how portraying a torched cop car on your album just doesn't carry the same weight anymore.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
I blew George and Harvey's BRAAAINS out with my six gun :]
I fought the law and I won!
I fought the law and I won!
Yamaha 503TVL
Yamaha Pacifica
Squier Tele Custom II
Crafter bass
Cube 60
Kustom 2x12
Cool - I never knew that!

I don't get some of the referances... I just assumed it was cos i was English!
Yeah, us limeys don't understand a lot of dead kennedys reference.

The dead kennedys were very politically grass roots wise in san fransisco, and they would cram local events and happenings into their lyrics.

Whereas a band like the Clash wouldn't include examples about what was going on in their song (with one exception - white riot), and just blurt out a load of sketchy ideological crap - they'd preach to people about freedom of speech and then threaten violence when they were slagged off.
^That's because Bernie was telling them what to write about.
When they were questioned about their beliefs, they couldn't back it up, because they were just lil rich kids posing.

Bernie and Malcolm played a lil game with politics and music that most people didn't notice.

Malcolm manages the Dolls and has them dress like commies (Red Patent Leather), then has the Pistols decked out in Nazi gear.
Bernie puts London SS together with Nazi name and imagery and then makes the Clash write Marxist lyrics and has Strummer wear his Red Brigades T shirt.

Puppets on a string.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

...And here's where it gets funnier!

The Clash followed this through for 10 years. Today, the Clash are a symbol of rebellion and protest for generations of leftists.

That's actually not funny at all. That's actually a very depressing thought.
I have a Fresh Fruit t-shirt that I'm actually wearing right now.

Everybody has those DK symbol shirts, but I'm the only ****er with a Fresh Fruit shirt.

Therefore I'm awesome.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by axeslash
I have a Fresh Fruit t-shirt that I'm actually wearing right now.

Everybody has those DK symbol shirts, but I'm the only ****er with a Fresh Fruit shirt.

Therefore I'm awesome.

I have one too, but it went shitty
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
I used to have the Holiday In Cambodia Tshirt, with the Holiday Inn logo on it.

I also had a Dead Kennedys shirt that I've never seen since.
It had someone holding a gun near the Statue of Liberty.

It was looooooooooooong before the Bedtime for Democracy thang and didn't look anything like it.

I should bootleg it, as I still have an old zine that has the design in it.

I lost both those T shirts, and a few more, because my psycho parents destroyed them.
Prolly part of the reason that I haven't bothered to visit them in almost 10 years.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I've just realised that I don't, or have never owned a dead kennedys t shirt. wow.

all i have is a crappy one that i made
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Quote by johnnynemo
I used to have the Holiday In Cambodia Tshirt, with the Holiday Inn logo on it.

I also had a Dead Kennedys shirt that I've never seen since.
It had someone holding a gun near the Statue of Liberty.

It was looooooooooooong before the Bedtime for Democracy thang and didn't look anything like it.

I should bootleg it, as I still have an old zine that has the design in it.

I lost both those T shirts, and a few more, because my psycho parents destroyed them.
Prolly part of the reason that I haven't bothered to visit them in almost 10 years.

I always wanted the holiday inn one. But I opted for the "Kill the poor" shirt. With the bodies in the crane.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Quote by I_Pwn
I always wanted the holiday inn one. But I opted for the "Kill the poor" shirt. With the bodies in the crane.

They don't make it with the Holiday Inn logo on it anymore.
Holiday Inn sued them and they stopped making them.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by johnnynemo
They don't make it with the Holiday Inn logo on it anymore.
Holiday Inn sued them and they stopped making them.

ha....i saw that shirt at rock america in the mall like last year....
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
Sucks how portraying a torched cop car on your album just doesn't carry the same weight anymore.

Nor a name like Dead Kennedys...I should name my band something like "Kill Your Parents". Albums like "Eviscerate the Presidate" (president...)

"WE ARE YOUR PTA AND WE WANT THIS TO STOP!!! BLOOGAFOOGASHMOOGA!"
-pta.
Well Leftover Crack has been pushing the edge of shock value politics for years, but they attract no mainstream attention for it.

You'd have to be a fairly well-known person or band, I guess.

That's why Sinead O'Connor got in a lot of sh*t for ripping a picture of the Pope on TV, but the Crack Rock Steady 7 can freely release a CD titled Baby Jesus Sliced Up in the Manger.

I'm tempted to try and go commercial with my band, so I can sing about wildly inappropriate things and make a lot of people mad, but still have catchy music.

Pop punx not dead!
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
wait until i make my bands next ep cover....i will post it up....it freak any mother out...and maybe get us sued...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

Quote by mike2
ha....i saw that shirt at rock america in the mall like last year....

With the Holiday Inn logo on it?
I haven't seen that shirt in about 25 years.

Must be a bootleg, because Jello got sued for it in 1983 (?)
He just changed the shirt and didn't fight it (for some reason).
Quote by sargasm

Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
Well Leftover Crack has been pushing the edge of shock value politics for years, but they attract no mainstream attention for it.

You'd have to be a fairly well-known person or band, I guess.

That's why Sinead O'Connor got in a lot of sh*t for ripping a picture of the Pope on TV, but the Crack Rock Steady 7 can freely release a CD titled Baby Jesus Sliced Up in the Manger.

I'm tempted to try and go commercial with my band, so I can sing about wildly inappropriate things and make a lot of people mad, but still have catchy music.

Pop punx not dead!

Hahahaha dude I love LoC. "F*** World Trade"...nice.
Quote by johnnynemo
With the Holiday Inn logo on it?
I haven't seen that shirt in about 25 years.

Must be a bootleg, because Jello got sued for it in 1983 (?)
He just changed the shirt and didn't fight it (for some reason).

if i remember right....lemme check....

edit: maybe it is slightly different, but same basis i suppose....idk...

http://www.shoprockamerica.com/product.php?productid=1130&cat=0&page=1
Quote by BrianApocalypse

I have a rare ramones t shirt.

It's the picture from Amsterdam in 1977 when they're standing in an alley with the pinhead sign.
PS.) My friend Stiv has the Holiday in Cambodia t shirt with the guy hitting the tied up guy with a chair. It doesn't have the logo though, just normal writing.
^That was the replacement design.
The original was that exact photo, but with the Holiday Inn logo in place of the military stenciled Holiday In

I saw the shirt that mike2 linked to.
It's a different shirt design, but I can't believe that Holiday Inn isn't suing (again).
Quote by sargasm