I am having trouble narrowing it down. I am going to save up $1500 and split that between the guiat and amp. So I am looking for a guitar around $700-$800. I have read the stickies and found the recommended guitar but the trouble is I have no idea what they sound like. I am still fairly new to guitar but was to get more of a hip hop/rock sound. That is where I am having trouble which I will assume that sound will mostly come from the amp but I would still like a guitar that might fit well and which pickups/accessories to get to fit that sound.
they use guitar in hip-hop? I'm guessing it's a kind of a single-coily type sound?

what type of rock bands do you like?

what's your current rig?

Good call on splitting the cash that way, you wouldn't believe how many people come in here wanting to spend $3000 on a guitar so they can run it through a $50 starter amp... o_O

thanks for reading the stickies too...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Right now I have a cheap fender strat and an equally cheap amp. I am still trying to figure out what kind of sound I want to go for as my friend wants to make a hip hop/rock band. I guess stuff like linkin park, POD, fort minor, flipsyde and the like. I personally like to play a variety of music whether it be punk or metal, as long as I like the guitar in it I will usually play it.

I am still trying to find more bands that fit the hip hop/rock genre so I can hopefully find a sound I want to aim for. Otherwise I will probably just pick up a guitar and amp that I like the sound of and make it fit our bands style. Besides I could always change the sound with amp settings or pedals.
look at ESP and Schecter. and i kno someone will freak out at me for this, but dont listen to anyone who says Ibanez. you'd spend way more money than you need to to get a nice guitar.

Member #20 of the Guitarists Born in 1991 Club PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.

Member Of The Anti - Ibanez Militia

Quote by d. b. cooper
I listen to metal, therefore I do not have feelings...

Quote by -blaze-
anti-depressants for emo kids.

ibanez generally are good value in the under $1000 mark, especially if you stick to MIJ prestige, and know which ones to avoid (basically any non-prestige RG with a tremolo). I call BS on the above post.

I'd suggest perhaps an ibanez rg1570 (as that has both single coils and humbuckers), or maybe a godin freeway (ditto single coils and humbuckers)- some of the other godins have a mixture of sc's and humbuckers too. A pickup swap wouldn't hurt either of those, but you could get that later on down the line. I hear good things about michael kelly guitars, but haven't tried them.

For the amp, how much can you get a peavey xxx combo for?

Ah, $849. Perfect!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Triple-XXX-Super-40-40W-1x12-Guitar-Combo?sku=481393

nice cleans (for a high gain amp), and plenty of distortion for your more modern stuff like linkin park etc. though the in-between crunch tones aren't amazing- if you want a lot of those, or classic rock overdrives, you might want to look elsewhere, perhaps a traynor ycv50 blue or ycv40? though the high gain probably won't be as modern-sounding on those. you will get nicer cleans and vintage/classic rock tones. I think those traynors go for between $600-$800, though don't quote me. the 40 is more fendery, but with a nicer overdrive channel, while the 50, from what i hear as I haven't tried the 50, is more marshally (but with a nicer clean channel).

That'd be my choice- best shop around on the price for that peavey, though, as I'm not american, and as such am not too well up on US pricing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks those look like great picks. Now I just gotta save some money and continue to practice on my current cheapo setup.

Oh and will the guitar center near my area have those so I can go hook them up and play?
i have no idea to be honest, we don't have GC's here. My guess is that if it's on the website, you have a chance that they'll have it, but like any shop they could run out of stock, so best to phone them before making a journey...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?