Yeah. Ok. Well, as the thread states, I'm still looking to find a new amp.
With my new amp I need above 65 watts, with a budget of $500 CAN (can go above, but i'd rather not) with some effects built in. (ie: chorus, flanger, wah). I'm looking for a COMBO set up, so i don't want any stack opinions, and i'm NOT interested in getting a pedal board with the effects. All-In-One.
As well, I play everything and anything, but i'll be mostly playing hard rock, metal, and punk.
Thanks UG.
vox ad50vt no more needs 2 b said
equipment
guitars:
lefty fender tele standard ,
lefty tanglewood electro-acoustic
usa gibson flying v (flipped for lefty)
castrol oil can single coil electric
amp
vox ad50vt
pedals
dunlop crybaby wah
mxr blue box

go on ireland!
Quote by crazeehorse

Why do you suggest that?

I think the Roland Cube 60, because IMO it suits your styles more.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by crazeehorse

I suppose that's about right. Unless you're a gain *****, in which case you should go for the XL model.

I'm assuming you're not interested in tubes?
Roland Cube 60? Not sure how much 500CAN is but that's a good amp for hard stuff at the price.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
both the vox and cube are great options.

however, why do you need at least 65 watt? you can cut through a band clearly with a 30w combo tube.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Built in effects + 65 watts= bad tone and quality.
30 watt tube combo + analog pedals= loud and great tone
^Pretty harsh statement no?

The cube/Vox have actually good tone.

And look at hes price, I cant see him getting a decent tube combo and Analog pedals for that price.
Didn't mean to be harsh, had he said it was his first amp my advice would have been different. According to the thread starters profile he already has a modified Peavey Backstage. Why go from one solid state practice amp to another? Its not gonna be a big upgrade.
Here's my "Pepsi Challange." Take $500 Canadian and your guitar to a music store. Plug in a $500 tube amp and a $500 solid state/modeling/hybrid amp. Hook up the guitar to an AB switch. Turn the amps both on a reasonable volume and play. Close your eyes. After playing for about 15 minutes walk over and grab the amp that sounds the best.
Quote by uldhppi
Didn't mean to be harsh, had he said it was his first amp my advice would have been different. According to the thread starters profile he already has a modified Peavey Backstage. Why go from one solid state practice amp to another? Its not gonna be a big upgrade.
Here's my "Pepsi Challange." Take $500 Canadian and your guitar to a music store. Plug in a $500 tube amp and a $500 solid state/modeling/hybrid amp. Hook up the guitar to an AB switch. Turn the amps both on a reasonable volume and play. Close your eyes. After playing for about 15 minutes walk over and grab the amp that sounds the best.

Yeah. My modified Peavey Backstage came as tube. All I modified was the wiring so I could use it as a sound monitor.
I never heard of a tube Peavey Backstage. I believe you, but I have a Backstage Plus from 1984, ss, and the dinky new little Peavey Backstages are also ss. Is it a guitar amp or a PA?
Quote by uldhppi
I never heard of a tube Peavey Backstage. I believe you, but I have a Backstage Plus from 1984, ss, and the dinky new little Peavey Backstages are also ss. Is it a guitar amp or a PA?

amp.
believe me its a tube.
i plugged crazy digitech distortion pedal inline and made a crack in my friends drywalled wall in his basement.
Quote by crazeehorse

+1,000,000,000,000.

I mainly play ska and punk and on Saturday I was at a Long & McQuade playing this really nice Gretsch hollowbody through a Vox Valvetronix, and I must say, it's the best modelling amp I've ever heard.
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Quote by MrCarrot
Roland Cube 60? Not sure how much 500CAN is but that's a good amp for hard stuff at the price.

It's more than $500USD (EDIT: I mean $500CDN, not the cube, I don't know how much the cube is).
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Last edited by Scum_PunkRocker at Oct 23, 2007,
Peavey has made a zillion different amp models. My guess would be that Peavey has used the Backstage name several times in its history. Kind of like a Ford Mustang. Think of how many different cars go by that name, and some of them are radically different to the point of being a whole different car. I'm interested in this amp as I am a long-time Peavey fan. You got me, I have to do some research. Thanks man.
Quote by uldhppi
Peavey has made a zillion different amp models. My guess would be that Peavey has used the Backstage name several times in its history. Kind of like a Ford Mustang. Think of how many different cars go by that name, and some of them are radically different to the point of being a whole different car. I'm interested in this amp as I am a long-time Peavey fan. You got me, I have to do some research. Thanks man.

yeah something tells me that the Backstage that I got was already customed out. i bought a peavey stage pack at a pawn shop, and the guy didn't know much about the amp. so i think someone did some major electric works in there and made a solid state a tube.
Quote by False_God
Vox ad XL series is awful!!!

wow, that sucks, their clips on the site sounded pretty good. I was hoping it was going to be more like the 60 or 120, with just better high gain models and not as many clean models. What didn't you like about it compared to the regular AD series, and did you like the AD series to begin with? Thank man.

Quote by djmay71
yeah something tells me that the Backstage that I got was already customed out. i bought a peavey stage pack at a pawn shop, and the guy didn't know much about the amp. so i think someone did some major electric works in there and made a solid state a tube.

can you actually see any tubes in it? If someone actually converted it, you would see the power tubes quite visibly, they need ventilation so they wouldn't be covered. Not that I think you're lying, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense to make something like that a tube amp. It would be easier to build the circuit from scratch.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Oct 23, 2007,
Quote by Erock503
wow, that sucks, their clips on the site sounded pretty good. I was hoping it was going to be more like the 60 or 120, with just better high gain models and not as many clean models. What didn't you like about it compared to the regular AD series, and did you like the AD series to begin with? Thank man.

can you actually see any tubes in it? If someone actually converted it, you would see the power tubes quite visibly, they need ventilation so they wouldn't be covered. Not that I think you're lying, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense to make something like that a tube amp. It would be easier to build the circuit from scratch.
Yeah that and you'd need big transformers for power valves, unless it's a low-power 12AX7 amp and it just seems very unlikely, the circuit would be COMPLETELY different.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by djmay71
amp.
believe me its a tube.
i plugged crazy digitech distortion pedal inline and made a crack in my friends drywalled wall in his basement.

They have a peavey backstage at school and it's SS

Pics of the tubes please. I'm interested in this...
Quote by uldhppi
Built in effects + 65 watts= bad tone and quality.
30 watt tube combo + analog pedals= loud and great tone

+1 Googol
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by Erock503

Well its not awful, but I think it doesnt have anything over the cube for metal.

The Od just seemed a little too thin and the cleans were REALLY lifeless.

But one this I did like was the octave effect. It was pretty nice! Cool leads with it!

Yeah I dont mind AD series. Never impressed my it!
i don't have any pics right now, as i am separated from my amp and electric guitar
but that would explain why all the backstages i've seen for sale have a closed back, whereas mine has a open back.
it really doesn't matter, i'm considering getting its dollar worth when i get my new amp