I want to start playing electric guitar. I was just wondering if something like this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Laguna-Ultimate-Rock-Rack-Electric-Guitar-Pack-with-Spider-III-15W-Amp?sku=515204
is worth considering. I haven't heard of Laguna guitars before, but it doesn't look like a bad guitar... If anyone has a suggestion for something of a similar price, please don't be shy.
The guitar is fine for a starter. The amp isn't. Check out the Roland Microcube instead.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
The guitar is fine for a starter. The amp isn't. Check out the Roland Microcube instead.

for a beginner, it's fine. there's nothing wrong with that amp for practicing and finding out how things work. gigging or playing live... not so much.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Guitar looks like its better then the alterative, and the amp's pretty good... Though if you go giging you have to have more watts....
If your only starting to play guitar a spider will do you fine i think this is really the kind of thing they're actually ideal for :p dont worry bout gigging wattage for now I dont know anyone who ever gigs with their very first amp so go fer it
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
laguna guitars are ultra-sick, ive played all 6, 3 electrics, and 3 acoustics, at my guitar center, all of them are definitely worth every penny.
fight the power that be
I played one at a Guitar Center here and it also seemed pretty nice. The Spider III 15 watt is a fine amp for a beginner. You wouldn't be able to tell it from an SLO100 if you're new.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the suggestions. I will probably just be messing around and trying to learn songs on my own to start out. I will probably consider this package as it seems like a nice price.

The only other question I have is what type of music would this guitar be suited for? Would I be able to play stuff like Metallica, Nirvana, Tool, etc. etc. without having it sound weird?
Last edited by xbry89x at Oct 22, 2007,
I bought that rock pack thing. It sounds fine for that kinda stuff to me.
I think that the Laguna guitars are made by the now defunct Brawley guitars. The headstocks are the same (it is shaped like a shark) and most of the options are the same. The dude at Guitar Center said that he thinks that I am right. If so, AWESOME. The two guitars that I play the most are Brawleys. I have been looking to get a couple more but they only pop up on ebay occasionally. I think that with Laguna, I found my new guitars!
I played the LE 524 at GC on Saturday and it was absolutely amazing. It actually sounded and played better than the JEM and Satriani sigs that they had out, and it was relatively cheap too!
I remember playing a brawley at GC about a year ago. They were really amazing, so these must be pretty good. I've played a laguna acoustic, very nice. It felt like an electric though because it had a very thin neck.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Their pretty, nice, but I think line six owns them now.

Their still very nice guitars.

Definetly the best starter pack out there.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
I have the LE322 model
It's awesome!

great sustain for the light body. great tone. fast neck. very versatile.
go ahead and try it you won't be disappointed.
Quote by DougC84
for a beginner, it's fine. there's nothing wrong with that amp for practicing and finding out how things work. gigging or playing live... not so much.

+1
i have a spider and i think its a good practice amp for beginers...its got lots of effects and stuff that you can incoperate into what you play

i dont want mine anymore, and im saving for a new tube amp after christmas

but the pack is perfect ofr beginners....but dont gig with it
go to guitar center and see if they have any jackson DK2M there a better guitar but there discontinuing the model i think there like 630$ but it got mine for like 400$ off and they have a better sound. im saying this from exprience because i played both on the weekend to decide what 2 get 4 christmas.
guys stop bringing up gigging...hes obviously not gonna gig for a while, so why say "dont gig with it"?

thats a fine guitar and amp to start out with.
Quote by gstacey1
go to guitar center and see if they have any jackson DK2M there a better guitar but there discontinuing the model i think there like 630$ but it got mine for like 400$ off and they have a better sound. im saying this from exprience because i played both on the weekend to decide what 2 get 4 christmas.

Uh wrong. One GC had some they were blowing out. DO NOT BUY THEM! Apparently most of them had screwed up neck pockets, hence hwy GC was blowing them out.
Dude I was in guitar center messing around with the synyster gates custom shecter when all of the sudden I saw it out of the corner of my eye. The LE322. It was so beautiful. I have been playing for like 3 months so my friends were like "dude every guitar you see will be good to you" but when they tried it out they were amazed by how rad it was. I have that guitar sitting in my grandparents bedroom wrapped up and waiting for me to shred on.(christmas present) I hate it when people say that this is a begginer gutiar. This guiar is the perfect guitar for anyone.
Quote by NightmareXT
I played the LE 524 at GC on Saturday and it was absolutely amazing. It actually sounded and played better than the JEM and Satriani sigs that they had out, and it was relatively cheap too!

That's a pretty big claim. As much as I like Satriani, I don't like the feel of his JS guitars. Not sure what neck it has, but I don't like it at all. No way the LE 524 sounds and plays better than a Jem.
Quote by Guitarmiester
That's a pretty big claim. As much as I like Satriani, I don't like the feel of his JS guitars.

It's his guitar after all...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Laguna is a relatively new company, and thier guitars are worth every cent you sepnd on them. I have played a bunch of em at guitar center and I love em. It looks like a good deal for that pack so go ahead and get it.
I never heard of them until I asked a salesman at GC what they had for used 7 string guitars about 6 or 7 weeks ago. He brought me right to the Lagunas and was pushing them pretty hard. I thought it was an isolated thing at that store and that salesman but two other GCs I hit tried the staff was pushing them. They seem pretty solid had a nice feel and played well but I couldn't get near an amp that day so I couldn't hear one with some power running thru it.
After the holidays season is over I plan on trying a 7 string model.
Quote by johnro6659
I never heard of them until I asked a salesman at GC what they had for used 7 string guitars about 6 or 7 weeks ago. He brought me right to the Lagunas and was pushing them pretty hard. I thought it was an isolated thing at that store and that salesman but two other GCs I hit tried the staff was pushing them. They seem pretty solid had a nice feel and played well but I couldn't get near an amp that day so I couldn't hear one with some power running thru it.
After the holidays season is over I plan on trying a 7 string model.

Link?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Rykr
I think that the Laguna guitars are made by the now defunct Brawley guitars. The headstocks are the same (it is shaped like a shark) and most of the options are the same. The dude at Guitar Center said that he thinks that I am right. If so, AWESOME. The two guitars that I play the most are Brawleys. I have been looking to get a couple more but they only pop up on ebay occasionally. I think that with Laguna, I found my new guitars!

Dude, I love my Brawley! I play it all the time.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by aznrockerdude
It's his guitar after all...

True, but the neck on those JS guitars are pretty bad. Maybe not to everyone, but still...
I tried the LE 422 and the LE 524 at Guitar Center, and fell in love with the 422. The sound is amazing for the price, and the red LE422 is absolutely beautiful. After reading a lot of sweet stuff about these guitars on the Net, I had originally planned to buy the LE 524, but the neck and action on the LE 422 was much smoother and sweeter, so that's the one I got and I have no regrets.

As for who makes the guitars, I have been unable to pin that down. I know they are made in Indonesia and are only sold through the 'Guitar Store' chain. Nobody at the Guitar Store knew the name of the group of people who produce the guitars - aside from 'Laguna', and the people at the main Guitar Store site, who are in charge of giving out product information, couldn't give me a name. What they did give me is an email address for the 'Play Laguna' company, and suggested that I contact them. If anyone is interested, the address is: info@playlaguna.com

Izzy