So ive got this old strat that i pick parts off of, the frets on it are super whacky, way uneven, it needs a refret, but i honestly have like 4 strats, so i wanna have some fun with it... im thinking about taking all the frets out, sanding the finish off the Maple neck, filling the frets with woodpuddy, and then putting a nice smooth laquer on it having a fretless guitar for some fun slide stuff. anyone think it would work? i think i saw a video on it awile ago and it worked pretty good for them...
fight the power that be
sounds like it would, idk ask a pro at a guitar center or something.
i have no clue, but i'm uber interested... this sounds like a wicked cool mod.

but check this out:
http://www.unfretted.com/loader.php?LINK=hints_and_tips
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
If you can do it on a bass guitar, I don't see why not. Especially if it's a experiment guitar.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Want to build a Jackson, to be fairly freaking honest.

Quote by Kanthras
Put some crap in the hole, like something sticky. And liquid-ish.
deviantART: Click Here
Quote by Guitarzan1143
So ive got this old strat that i pick parts off of, the frets on it are super whacky, way uneven, it needs a refret, but i honestly have like 4 strats, so i wanna have some fun with it... im thinking about taking all the frets out, sanding the finish off the Maple neck, filling the frets with woodpuddy, and then putting a nice smooth laquer on it having a fretless guitar for some fun slide stuff. anyone think it would work? i think i saw a video on it awile ago and it worked pretty good for them...
Yeah, should work. I'd suggest sanding just to get out any wear on the board and then lacquer with clear. If you use a filler that's close in colour to the maple, you won't notice the filler from a distance, but it will help a bit in locating the finger positions. Also, you'll want to cut the nut slots just a little bit deeper.

Before you remove the frets, you might want to try making this a "fretless wonder". level the frets and since it will take a lot to get them level, there won't be much height left. It's worth experiencing even if for just a short time. You can always go completely fretless, later. But once you fill the slots, it gets kind of hard to go back to frets.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
lol actually i already jhave a fretless wonder. 1974 les paul. the frets pretty much blend with the fretboarrd, i love it.
fight the power that be
i've literally just finished filling the gaps in on my strat neck with wood filler and coated it

what i've done is filled the gaps with white filler, then clear coted it, so you can still see where the frets are,
but you do need to lower the action of the guitar so the strings are closer to the fretboard,
My sister has a fretless Squier Strat that my dad modded for her. It turned out pretty good but beware that it sustains for like a second or so. Think violin. Might want to install a Fernandes Sustainer or something like that. My guitar technician has tried it a few times and he said it turned out pretty bad most of the time, dunno what he meant by that but I imagine he was talking about the sustain aswell. He recommended putting some pretty hard finish on the fretboard, my sister's is just bare wood.
ya it works i did this about a year ago to my crappy first act guitar(guitar my grandma bought when i was 5)if you are playing really fast stuff with lots of bends it sounds nice ,but sucks if you try doing anything that you want a note to ring for more than 3 seconds(at least with my first act,yours may be alot better sustaining)