so, originally (well, after my last thread here) i wanted to get a sm57 and the mackie onyx satellite thing to record to my computer

but, after reading up on the topic a bit i came up with some questions

i want to record my guitar(amp will be an ac30cc1) by the way

1. whats the main difference between condenser mics like the mxl 990 and 991 set and dynamic mics like the sm57? what would be better suited for my needs?

2. would i get better results getting a firewire interface like the mackie satellite or a usb thing like the m-audio fasttrack or m-box 2 mini?

yea, thanks for that in advance

budget is..about...as much as i can save up after being patient for a year to get the ac30... - well try to keep it the best bang for the buck

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
1. Condensor mics have a bigger range of frequencies and are usually used to pick up acoustic guitar, vocals, cymbals stuff like that. They are more fragile and require phantom power. An sm57 is a dynamic mic and is very sturdy and used more for guitar amps, snare drums, and sometimes vocals. The sm57 would be better for micing an amp.

2. Usually firewire interfaces are better, they are faster which means less latency when recording. I've heard good things about the mackie satellite.
though if its only like 2 channels firewire is overkill to the max. get both and you can ambient mix your amp with the mxl 990
^yea, i figured id go with the sm57 anyway..just thought id ask

and the mackies preamps are as good as they say? would it be worth it to get a tube driven mic preamp? just...theoretically
EDIT: i just found out that i can get a new ART tube MP for cheap...so that + the mackie?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Last edited by hendriko at Oct 23, 2007,
no those "toob" preamps are a scam...they dont do much more to the sound.
stick with the ones on the Mackie interface for now and if you get enough money to spend on a preamp thats $200+ go buy it but for now the mackie is best.
^alright, thanks man!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame