yeah, I've seen them on musiciansfriend.com. From what they look like, it just looks like they removed the inlays, but I could be wrong. But anyway, yeah, there are such things as "fretless" guitars.
They work just like a fretless bass. I saw a competition of amazing jazz guitarists. The one that won played a fretless guitar. Might have been a strat, but I'm not sure.
Quote by arowana1027
My wife plays my guitars fine, but my girlfriend has smaller hands, and she wants to learn how to play.
i think some godins are
Quote by TDS
You know what would be awsome? A phone that doubled as a fleshlight that recharged power through kinetic motion.

"hold on guys my phone's dying."
*fap*
"Ok we're good."
Quote by fadetowhite
ya its called a viola

Viola is the portuguese (or spanish i think so) for acoustic/classis guitar, so no
http://www.vigierguitars.com/

Tim Donahue plays for them now his fretless guitar work is amazing .. check him out noobs! haha jk jk
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
Quote by Popsai
Viola is the portuguese (or spanish i think so) for acoustic/classis guitar, so no

no again. a viola is a bigger version of a violin, with a different range of notes, but its still played the same as a violin.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i am on the way to converting an old strat to a fretless guitar right now, i havent put the wood filler in the frets yet, but i got overexcited and tried it without it, it plays awesome and i cant wait to finish it.
fight the power that be
Check out Vigier, they make the best fretless guitars if you ask me; metal fingerboard (meaning virtually no wear), carbon instead of a truss rod and their all made by hand in France.

Mine's probably coming in about 5 months and I can't wait
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 22, 2007,
what exactly is the advantage of a fretless guitar or a fretless bass for that matter?
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by lanzaa
what exactly is the advantage of a fretless guitar or a fretless bass for that matter?

The fretless guitar offers an incredible range of applications and a form of tonal freedom that can be used to create beautiful melodies, but it also invites certain players to express themselves in a form of musical diarrea worse than bebop jazz.

Really, it's all about intonation, taste and moderation. Also, going from a regular guitar, no matter how proficient you are, to a fretless is very difficult.

Some guitarists tend to think that they've made the transition before they've actually made it, resulting in people like Ed Degenaro who may be a great player, but has major intonation issues when playing fretless.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 22, 2007,
sure there are fretless guitars..............but i think it will sound like sh*t played with a pick, if you have ever played a fretless bass you know what i mean.
Quote by jAzZMataZz
sure there are fretless guitars..............but i think it will sound like sh*t played with a pick, if you have ever played a fretless bass you know what i mean.

Sorry, you lose. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KDWQ9AMiRA&mode=related&search=

Bumblefoot OWNZ JOO!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
The fretless guitar offers an incredible range of applications and a form of tonal freedom that can be used to create beautiful melodies, but it also invites certain players to express themselves in a form of musical diarrea worse than bebop jazz.

While I understand that you made that in jest, that was uncalled for.
Quote by Nick_
While I understand that you made that in jest, that was uncalled for.

Oh come on.

I understand everyone should be able to expres themselves, especially musically, but then again, it's also possible to lighten up a little.

Whether you like it or not, bebop jazz, or some forms of fretless guitar music are pretty unique.

Of course this is great, since it ads to musical diversity, but on the other hand it doesn't make them more accessible.

I respect these musicians a lot, seeing as they're doing something they love, regardless of whether it's going to land them a lot of fans, fame or paychecks.

These are people performing solely for their love of music.

But, like I said, this doesn't mean you can't make the occasional joke about them.
Of course. I even saw a video of this one guy playing a guitar with a switch, where he could hit the switch to turn it into a fretless, and hit the switch again to bring the frets back.

Edit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD7RPhgZC6Y

Got it. The user has a bunch of other videos, including basses.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Oct 22, 2007,
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Of course. I even say a video of this one guy playing a guitar with a switch, where he could hit the switch to turn it into a fretless, and hit the switch again to bring the frets back.

Yup.

It's available for guitar and bass. I'm just wondering how maintenance heavy it would be and any form of moving parts on a guitar are obviously the parts most at risk of breaking or wearing out
Theres a photo in the metal hammer magazine that i have that shows Scott Ian from anthrax playing a guitar that has frets up to the 12 fret but from there on its all fretless.. i cant find that guitar anywhere but i think its cool
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by .arkness:.
Theres a photo in the metal hammer magazine that i have that shows Scott Ian from anthrax playing a guitar that has frets up to the 12 fret but from there on its all fretless.. i cant find that guitar anywhere but i think its cool

I've looked around for that picture for ages after someone mentioned it to me, but I've never managed to find it. It sounds quite cool though; it would allow you to play normal riffs, whilst still having a lot of fretless possibilities.
Another cool thing is the inlay on the 11th fret (By 11th fret i mean the big fretless part above the 12 fret) is just a giant "NOT!". i guess il try and find it later.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I would think that fretless guitars would be great for slide too.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
^huh, dunno about that. on one hand, you'd be able to get a lot closer to the fretboard with a fretless, but on the other hand you lose your fret markers. and that's damn important in most forms of slide, right?

Still, always thought it'd be cool to have a fretless guitar....
Quote by Bonsaischaap

Whether you like it or not, bebop jazz, or some forms of fretless guitar music are pretty unique.

I'm light ... I just consider bebop to be very safe and established, that's all. Maybe it was breaking ground, shocking audiences and getting trashed in downbeat (#11s? They must be out of their mind ...) in the 1940s, but nowadays the sounds are nothing unusual. Perhaps you should be making fun of avant-garde or free jazz. Or, even more ridiculous, Anthony Braxton, who spent far to much time hanging out with John Cage and ended up creating "ghost trance", where 12 performers quietly perform completely different sets at the same time over a steady beat.

Either way, fretless offers you the chance to imitate the articulation of a horn player

And that's what guitarists really care about now isn't it.
Quote by fadetowhite
ya its called a viola

BAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA.

Major failure right there.

Lawl.

Also: The Vigier Surfretter is probably the best fretless guitar on the market:

Linky
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Last edited by Dudage at Oct 22, 2007,
Quote by Dudage
BAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA.

Also: The Vigier Surfretter is probably the best fretless guitar on the market:

Linky

Yup, they're pretty damn nice.

Also, the one you posted is the Supra, but they also have the even better looking Special:

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Sorry, you lose. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KDWQ9AMiRA&mode=related&search=

Bumblefoot OWNZ JOO!

sorry but i think that was aweful. but i think it was mainly because of the player.