I'm getting a new PC sometime soon, and I have a question about the processor.

I'm gonna try to get a system that's not ridiculously expensive but still does what I want it to do (general purpose and play games).

One of the games I'd really like to get is Bioshock, but I have a question about if the processor will run it well. My new system meets all the recommended requirements, but for the processor it says this:

Minimum - CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz Single Core processor
Recommended - CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor

Does this mean that ANY Intel Core 2 Duo will work, or does it also have to be 2.4 GHz?
Upping it to 2.4 will cost me $500 more dollars that I'd rather not pay if I don't have to.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Quote by Somarriba15
yeah, gamecube sucks, they only have baby games, like mario
You sir have no penis

Official Second Member of the "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club. PM jesusgonewrong to join.
Generally 2.4ghz would be expected at that point.

(what kind of dual core are you getting that can't do 2.4?!)
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
Generally 2.4ghz would be expected at that point.

(what kind of dual core are you getting that can't do 2.4?!)

The cheapest is 1.4
I would go for 1.8 or 2.0 if it would work.
Looks like I might have to suck up and get the 2.4
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Quote by Somarriba15
You sir have no penis

Official Second Member of the "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club. PM jesusgonewrong to join.
You're not being very clear man...

Any core 2 duo will be enough to run the game. Those are decent CPUs. Th p4 2.4 is the MINIMUM requirement for the game, a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz. Pentium 4s are a few years old and weren't even much good back then.

In short, yeah, it'll be fine. (A core 2 Duo is 2 CPUs that work together. You're evidently not very PC hardware savvy, so just don't worry about it. Any Core 2 Duo can run it.)

What graphics card would you be getting?
The GPU is more important than the processor. I suggest at least a GeForce 7 series.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Essentially any of the core 2's will be fine. What you are gonna need is a graphics card because the stock ones on PC's are generally horrible and have trouble running even older games like BF1942.
Fender MIM Strat w/SD Hot Rails in Bridge/Marshall AVT275x/Digitech RP200/Dunlop Classic Crybaby/Fender MIM Jazz Bass/Fender Rumble 25/Pearl Forum 5 Piece Drum Set w/Zildjian ZBT cymbal set/Shure SM58/Line 6 Toneport UX-1.
Quote by Vermintide
You're not being very clear man...

Any core 2 duo will be enough to run the game. Those are decent CPUs. Th p4 2.4 is the MINIMUM requirement for the game, a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz. Pentium 4s are a few years old and weren't even much good back then.

In short, yeah, it'll be fine.

Sorry. Let me try to clear things up...
I'm getting my notebook (forgot to mention it's a notebook) from the dell website, and I'm in the process of building it just to scope out the price. For the processor choice I have multiple options, the lowest being the IC 2 Duo T7100 (at 1.4 GHz), the highest being the IC 2 Duo T7700 (at 2.4GHz). The latter costs significantly more, so I was just wondering if it would run well regardless of the GHz, as long as it's a Duo.
I'm usually good with computers, but when it comes to hardware I'm not the brightest. Sorry if this is still confusing.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Quote by Somarriba15
You sir have no penis

And by the way. Bioshock is EXTREMELY overrated. Yawn. Get Episode Two instead, it also has lower requirements.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
The graphics card should be fine. I'm getting a 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, which I understand to be very good.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Quote by Somarriba15
You sir have no penis

Quote by Aceroth
Sorry. Let me try to clear things up...
I'm getting my notebook (forgot to mention it's a notebook) from the dell website, and I'm in the process of building it just to scope out the price. For the processor choice I have multiple options, the lowest being the IC 2 Duo T7100 (at 1.4 GHz), the highest being the IC 2 Duo T7700 (at 2.4GHz). The latter costs significantly more, so I was just wondering if it would run well regardless of the GHz, as long as it's a Duo.
I'm usually good with computers, but when it comes to hardware I'm not the brightest. Sorry if this is still confusing.

No, no. I see where your confusion has arisen though. The minimum of 2.4 ghz is for the older Pentium 4 processors.

Any C2Duo will be able to run it pretty well regardless. It doesn't have to be a 2.4 Ghz C2D, because 2.4Ghz on a C2D is different to 2.4 on a P4. They are measured differently, they work differently, etc etc.

What graphics card were you getting, out of interest? EDIT: Ah, nevermind. You'll be set man, go ahead and order with the specs you have now.
Quote by Vermintide
No, no. I see where your confusion has arisen though. The minimum of 2.4 ghz is for the older Pentium 4 processors.

Any C2Duo will be able to run it pretty well regardless. It doesn't have to be a 2.4 Ghz C2D, because 2.4Ghz on a C2D is different to 2.4 on a P4. They are measured differently, they work differently, etc etc.

What graphics card were you getting, out of interest? EDIT: Ah, nevermind. You'll be set man, go ahead and order with the specs you have now.

so go with the 1.4? Thanks, that saved me $500 dollars
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Quote by Somarriba15
You sir have no penis