Since I figured out that im probably going to have to spend thousands to get the versatility that i am seeking, I was wondering if there are any distortion pedals out there that sound natural. And by natural I mean the opposite of boss metal zone, which is horribly thin, awful highs, and just a plain terrible pedal overall.
Marshall Guv'nor GV-2
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
They're on the pricey side, but I'd say an Electro Harmonix English Muff'n. It's got a 12AX7 in it so it really delivers the goods in natural sounding tube overdrive. And I couldn't agree more with your brief MT-2 review.
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Quote by Geartrigger
Fulltone ocd maybe? Unless you want high gain distortion. What amp do you have?

Well i was considering all of my options on buying amps, and if i were to run a high gain distortion pedal it would probably be through a peavey classic or something with nice cleans and good low-mid gain overdrive
If u have a tube amp, look at the Rocktron Austin Gold OD. Alot of actual tube-driven ODs should be good, but are rather expensive.
I'm looking for something of that can reach higher gains. Not necessarily death metal or anything like that, but at least Zach Wylde range
A good cheap pedal that gets reasonably natural-sounding distortion is the Danelectro Daddy-O. Its really punchy, has a wide frequency range and fairly heavy. Slightly brittle on the top but can be mellowed considerably with EQ. It has a 3 band EQ and volume on the pedal. Sounds much better with a tube amp, but also not to bad with ss. Truthfully sounds much better than the Metalzone, not nearly as brittle or buzzy.
Quote by Scum_PunkRocker
They're on the pricey side, but I'd say an Electro Harmonix English Muff'n. It's got a 12AX7 in it so it really delivers the goods in natural sounding tube overdrive. And I couldn't agree more with your brief MT-2 review.

Tube pedals are a rip off. there isnt something that a tube pedal can do better than a analog pedal so theres no reason to get a tube pedal.
Quote by uldhppi
A good cheap pedal that gets reasonably natural-sounding distortion is the Danelectro Daddy-O. Its really punchy, has a wide frequency range and fairly heavy. Slightly brittle on the top but can be mellowed considerably with EQ. It has a 3 band EQ and volume on the pedal. Sounds much better with a tube amp, but also not to bad with ss. Truthfully sounds much better than the Metalzone, not nearly as brittle or buzzy.

Good advice comes from old guys.
HBE big D is pretty good. versatile too. tell him, hankey!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mr_hankey
Good advice comes from old guys.

As long as they're not drooling.
Quote by Dave_Mc

The Big D is pretty good and versatile.
mi audio crunchbox if you're looking for cranked jcm800 tones in a stompbox. nowhere near as good as the real thing, of course, but sounds really really good. can get some nice bluesy tones and mid-gain crunch, as well.
i like the rocktron silver dragon personally
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Sansmap GT-2. The most natural analog tube amp modeler.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

a dirt box sounds natural when its made natural by a warm tube amp. they pretty much all sound pretty sh*t through a modeller or a regular transistor amp
Quote by mr_hankey
The Big D is pretty good and versatile.

thank you.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by uldhppi

+1

The controls allow it to be extremely versatile. I've compared it to the Metalzone, another Boss, and a few others I can't quite remember the names off, but the Daddy-O always sounds better to me.

I couple it with the Cool Cat Chorus pedal, and it's just WOW! And even better, both pedals would probably run you $100USD together, if not less.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Oct 23, 2007,
Quote by patriotplayer90
Since I figured out that im probably going to have to spend thousands to get the versatility that i am seeking, I was wondering if there are any distortion pedals out there that sound natural. And by natural I mean the opposite of boss metal zone, which is horribly thin, awful highs, and just a plain terrible pedal overall.

None? Now you'll use your thin screechy Metal Zone whether you like it or not...

FYI I lurv my Keeley Metal Zone
Lol sorry, its fun to play around with, but when I try to achieve a usable tone, its nearly impossible. Maybe you know something i don't
It's very sensitive. But possible to tweak it just right. Also i've never used the standard MT-2.
All below are dual-12AX7, tube-based pedals/preamps:

Damage Control Solid Metal $200 USD.
Damage Control Demonizer (adds compressor and DI-output) $300 USD.
Engl E530 preamp (rack-mount preamp) $510 USD.

Don't listen to me, check the demos on YouTube. The Engl preamp demos are at Rock Solid Amps' website.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Wow i saw the Daddy O and Cool Cat Chorus pedals, i love the look and they takes me back to a decade i was never in lol im looking for nice vintage chorus and overdrive, these look the part how do you think they would go with my new vox tube amp?
Anyone else waiting for the new ZVex Box of Metal?
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
Quote by maca-venagas
Wow i saw the Daddy O and Cool Cat Chorus pedals, i love the look and they takes me back to a decade i was never in lol im looking for nice vintage chorus and overdrive, these look the part how do you think they would go with my new vox tube amp?

I find they work much better on a tube amp than on SS (which I'm sure most would agree with any pedal really).

They work beautifully with my current Peavy VK100, and new Epiphone Valve Standard. Unfortunately, I haven't tried them out on a Vox as I don't know anyone that owns one. I can't imagine they'd sound worse as I'm sure your Vox is a nice amp on it's own.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Dave_Mc

Anyways; yes, it's great. It can do distortion, overdrive, dirty boost, clean boost, and fuzz. It does loads of different versions of most of them too. Best OD/dist pedal I've ever played. It beats my Tube Screamer in every way (why do I still even have that thing?).

I can't say anything about how it sounds with a SS amp, because I haven't used it with one.
Quote by FlamingYouth
Marshall Guv'nor GV-2

+1
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Demetri martin- My computer once beat me at a game of chess, but then I beat it at a game of kickboxing.
Quote by mr_hankey
Anyways; yes, it's great. It can do distortion, overdrive, dirty boost, clean boost, and fuzz. It does loads of different versions of most of them too. Best OD/dist pedal I've ever played. It beats my Tube Screamer in every way (why do I still even have that thing?).

I can't say anything about how it sounds with a SS amp, because I haven't used it with one.

that is a very good point; nor have I.

I was certainly trying it through a clean tube amp, but even so, that could definitely affect things.

very versatile pedal, basically: unless you need uber-br00tal death metalz, it'll do virtually anything.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by leeej
Tube pedals are a rip off. there isnt something that a tube pedal can do better than a analog pedal so theres no reason to get a tube pedal.

I agree, I've tried several tube pedals, and the only good ones were the reverb/delay pedals. The best overdrive/boost pedals (I think) are the TubeScreamer, Boss OD-1 and the Dunlop Wylde OD. Great pedals, also the Marshall Guvnor is great for fat tone, but not rythms.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
I actually think my Muff'n sounds great, but I've never used it on a tube amp. Apparently they don't sound very nice with tube amps though. I tried the HBE once, and I liked it, but I only got to use it for about 5 minutes.
1) Buy Marshall Plexi or similar high-quality valve amp
2) Turn all conrol knobs to maximum
3) Rock!

....okay,for a more practical idea I'd suggest looking at Carl Martin pedals. The Rock Drive and PlexiTone are particularly nice. Also, check out the Crowther Audio Hotcake, which I think is the finest drive pedal around.
my english muff'n sounds great w/ my blues jr. it makes it sound very plexi-ish. also, it sounds very natural.
Member #4 of The Fulltone Users League
Member #68 of the EHX Users Guild

You Would