I was just thinking about something kind of stupid.

Music can only REALLY be classified as simply music, rock music, and blues music. Because... if you think about it, Blues, Rock, and Music in general can all be played on basically any instrument you can think of. Now, on the other side, you can't ever play Metal, or Emo, or... jazz on ANY instrument.

Say what you want, I'm sure iI'm wrong in some way, cause it still doesn't sound completely correct to me.

Have fun.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
I do not think one can compose a Rock piece on a solo Harpsichord, nor a Blues piece for that matter. I'm sure this applies to other instruments as well. Perhaps:

Violin
Cello
Lute
Clavichord
Clarinet
Organ
Flute
etc.

I just can't imagine any Rock music on this alone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btZyjlP4c9s
Last edited by The Madcap at Oct 22, 2007,
i've heard people play blues on flute, but idk about the other ones, and you can compose it on anything you want, it just won't sound very good on certain instruments i think
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by Fryer Mike
I was just thinking about something kind of stupid.

Music can only REALLY be classified as simply music, rock music, and blues music. Because... if you think about it, Blues, Rock, and Music in general can all be played on basically any instrument you can think of. Now, on the other side, you can't ever play Metal, or Emo, or... jazz on ANY instrument.

Say what you want, I'm sure iI'm wrong in some way, cause it still doesn't sound completely correct to me.

Have fun.

You can easily play any instrument in jazz.

I defy you to play Stairway to Heaven on a church organ, and make it sound good.

--Red
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
You can totally play blues on a Violin, and a Cello, and definately a flute, i Haven't heard it on any of those other ones though.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by The Madcap
I do not think one can compose a Rock piece on a solo Harpsichord, nor a Blues piece for that matter. I'm sure this applies to other instruments as well. Perhaps:

Violin
Cello
Lute
Clavichord
Clarinet
Flute
etc.

Ever heard of Jethro Tull?
It appears every band nowadays has their own genre, but there is more than 2.
Quote by The Madcap

Violin
Cello
Lute
Clavichord
Clarinet
Organ
Flute
etc.

I just can't imagine any Rock music on this alone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btZyjlP4c9s

Lovely piece; I love Bach.

Though methinks you've forgotten bands like Haggard.

--Red
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
Quote by Longshanks
Ever heard of Jethro Tull?
Did you read the word "solo"?

And if so, then just because a band produces primarily Rock music, that does not validate the conclusion that any given piece of music by them must be Rock, nor does it mean that anything they create must be classified as Rock.
Quote by Red.Washburn77
Lovely piece; I love Bach.

Though methinks you've forgotten bands like Haggard.

--Red
Never heard of them, but it is a very good Harpsichord piece, and instrument I am particularly picky with.
that is very ignorant of you to say. you can play metal music with strings, i'm sure you could use a bari sax in metal too, if you wanted. if you really think about it, most styles are just opinion. what's the difference between emo and metal? what they talk about, and how they do it. otherwise, they're still rock. instrumentation has little to do with what style it has to be though.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by cashewchaching
that is very ignorant of you to say. you can play metal music with strings, i'm sure you could use a bari sax in metal too, if you wanted. if you really think about it, most styles are just opinion. what's the difference between emo and metal? what they talk about, and how they do it. otherwise, they're still rock. instrumentation has little to do with what style it has to be though.
Well, the thing about Metal (which I have always found odd) is that unlike many genres, it is defined more so within the dynamic of music, rather than the overall structure (Ex. Metal is a bit more open to scales than Blues, which is primarily a pentatonic scale). The dynamic is mainly an intense feeling (Fortissimo, in sheet music terms), along with certain sounds that lie in timbre (Ex. distortion). These elements are most easily done with the typical mainstream stringed instruments, and percussion instruments (Electric Guitar, Electric Bass, Drums, etc.).
Oi... lost of great points.

That's why I said i still don't think I'm right.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by cashewchaching

well said my man

also that link was awesome, i love watching ochestera's play aswell, and ne amazing musicians actually, like tht guy who can play guitar with his feet!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Fryer Mike
Oi... lost of great points.

That's why I said i still don't think I'm right.
Nonetheless you still did spark good conversation here, so I thank you.
Tyeah... That's what the hell I do.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by The Madcap
Well, the thing about Metal (which I have always found odd) is that unlike many genres, it is defined more so within the dynamic of music, rather than the overall structure (Ex. Metal is a bit more open to scales than Blues, which is primarily a pentatonic scale). The dynamic is mainly an intense feeling (Fortissimo, in sheet music terms), along with certain sounds that lie in timbre (Ex. distortion). These elements are most easily done with the typical mainstream stringed instruments, and percussion instruments (Electric Guitar, Electric Bass, Drums, etc.).

blues does not just use the pentatonic scale. it uses everything from that to tie ionian, the myxolydian, the phrygian, and the blues. And many more styles of music are much more expressive than metal. take any music from any time period, and you'll find much more vairation in the dynamics. metal is actually one of the most unoriginal when it comes to dynamics. all you have is fortissimo, withs some piano interludes. meanwhile listen to anything from bach to benny goodman and you'll hear that range and more, you'll hear much more varying timbres, with a multitude of more instruments, you'll hear plenty more complicated note runs, and a huge range of expression withint he music. i would study music and listen to more than just metal before you endorse such narrow-minded ideas.

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by The Madcap

This may seem like a stupid thing to point out but i get annoyed when people dismiss blues as just using a pentatonic scale. Blues is based around the sound of a dominant 7th, and what you play over it can vary enourmously. But i challenge anyone to play a decent blues solo of any length with only one pentatonic scale and not have it sound extremely limited and repetative. It can work now and again but for the main part the interaction of both the major and minor pentatonics, chord tones and chromatics are extremely important to the sound of the blues.

Off topic sorry its just that i hear that quite often and i thought it was about time people realised. Not getting at u in particular or anythin.

EDIT - ^ i guess someone else had the same idea... lol
Yeah i wanted to say that it didn't just use pentatonic, cause I know that.. obvious bluesy-players like Hendrix, and Ray Vaughn use alot of ionian too.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by cashewchaching
blues does not just use the pentatonic scale. it uses everything from that to tie ionian, the myxolydian, the phrygian, and the blues.
Which is why I said "primarily". The general chord structures are pentatonic.
Quote by cashewchaching
And many more styles of music are much more expressive than metal.
Okay.
Quote by cashewchaching
take any music from any time period, and you'll find much more vairation in the dynamics.
Okay.
Quote by cashewchaching
metal is actually one of the most unoriginal when it comes to dynamics. all you have is fortissimo, withs some piano interludes. meanwhile listen to anything from bach to benny goodman and you'll hear that range and more, you'll hear much more varying timbres, with a multitude of more instruments, you'll hear plenty more complicated note runs, and a huge range of expression withint he music. i would study music and listen to more than just metal before you endorse such narrow-minded ideas.
I'm still not seeing my narrow-minded ideas. Did I say something bad about Bach? I have been rather loyal towards his composing in my time here.
Quote by Hoodoo Man
This may seem like a stupid thing to point out but i get annoyed when people dismiss blues as just using a pentatonic scale. Blues is based around the sound of a dominant 7th, and what you play over it can vary enourmously. But i challenge anyone to play a decent blues solo of any length with only one pentatonic scale and not have it sound extremely limited and repetative. It can work now and again but for the main part the interaction of both the major and minor pentatonics, chord tones and chromatics are extremely important to the sound of the blues.

Off topic sorry its just that i hear that quite often and i thought it was about time people realised. Not getting at u in particular or anythin.

EDIT - ^ i guess someone else had the same idea... lol
I said "primarily". I have studied blues music in terms of guitar-playing, and I know that it isn't only done in pentatonic.
Quote by The Madcap
Which is why I said "primarily". The general chord structures are pentatonic.

The chords and scales are independant. That is an overgeneralization. The basic blues you've listented to might have been based off of the pentatonic. Again, listen to more before you overgenarlize like that.

Quote by The Madcap
I'm still not seeing my narrow-minded ideas. Did I say something bad about Bach? I have been rather loyal towards his composing in my time here.

You haven't directly insulted bach, you're putting metal above him. the majority of metal is acutally one of the more unoriginal types of music. recently, it's just who can play loudest and fastest, and with the most distortion, meanwhile, other more mature musicians have realized that there's more to music than that, and there's a whole world of soft dynamics and rests that put so much more expression in your music.
while metal may have a little of these good qualities, it is nothing compared to the intricate artistic music of the past, and many other styles.

^^ Yeah i know what you mean. I was just saying that the blues actualy relies on the fact that it isnt just based on a single pentatonic for much of its sound.

Like i said i wasnt tryin to argue or anythin. It just really annoys me when people say things like 'oh clapton is rubbish, he only ever uses the minor pentatonic'.

Not that u did or anythin...
Quote by cashewchaching
The chords and scales are independant. That is an overgeneralization. The basic blues you've listented to might have been based off of the pentatonic. Again, listen to more before you overgenarlize like that.
Well, I personally think I have listened to a good deal. But go ahead and say what I should and shouldn't do.
Quote by cashewchaching
You haven't directly insulted bach, you're putting metal above him.
That is a false statement.
Quote by cashewchaching
the majority of metal is acutally one of the more unoriginal types of music.
Okay. I don't listen to absolutely any Metal, nor did I say anything that contradicts this post.
Quote by cashewchaching
it's just who can play loudest and fastest, and with the most distortion
See above post.
Quote by cashewchaching
meanwhile, other more mature musicians have realized that there's more to music than that, and there's a whole world of soft dynamics and rests that put so much more expression in your music.
while metal may have a little of these good qualities, it is nothing compared to the intricate artistic music of the past, and many other styles.
That's nice.
Ahaha.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by cashewchaching
You haven't directly insulted bach, you're putting metal above him.
Bullshit. Madcap is a classical freak.
Last edited by glm at Oct 22, 2007,
Yeah man, it says directly in his sig that he's recorded that sh*t. Not calling it sh*t... I should have used stuff.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL