Page 1 of 2
Well I'm really wanting to start picking out christmas stuff that I want to get. My parents are willing to spend around like $700 and I want to know what to get. My gear gear status:

Squier Affinity Series Fat Stat (A like $150 starter guitar)
Fender Frontman 15 watt amp. (An alright sound)
Digitech RP350 Multi-effects pedal. (Tones of nice tones and effects)

Overall I have a pretty nice sound. I don't play out of the house at all other than my school's jazz band. I'm thinking about getting a
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-RR3-Rhoads-Pro-Electric-Guitar?sku=512230

Real nice guitar that plays very great (from what I hear.) I'm a huge Randy Rhoads fan and I love to play Rock/Metal.

I also have my mind on a
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-75-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482272
Very popular combo amp with a nice tone (again, from what I hear)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
that amp is a no-no... and the guitar is alright.... i just dont appreciate V shapes
Don't get the Spider

Try this if you don't need it for anything other than home practice. If you need to get a heavier tone, try an overdrive pedal in front of it. That should leave you with around $4-500 for a guitar. What's the heaviest sound you'll want, if you could compare it to another band?

Edit:
Quote by jfloyd1879
What about this cheap marshall halfstack? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100HDFXMG412-Slant-Cab-Half-Stack-Package?sku=482807

If not, could you prefer any other guitars/amps?

Nope. Just as bad as, if not worse than, the Spider.
That's not a Marshall halfstack, that's a Marshall crapstack. If you can spend 600 on the amp, you can get a nice tube combo.
A Rhodes V would be nice. A JB/Jazz combo is good. The amp, however, is a big NO-NO!!!! For the money, get a tube combo. Maybe check out the Fender Super Champ XD. 15w all-tube, so the tone is great. But u can get some extra sounds with the voicing knob, which gives u a bunch of different sounds for alot of genres of music, like jazz and Metal. Also maybe get a TS808/TS9 pedal for some extra OD, or maybe a Zakk Wylde OD.
as for the amp... perfect. spider III's are in my opinion just as good as any comparible amp by marshall or mesaboogie.

as for the guitar...

my friend has one...i utterly HATE IT. he on the other hand LOVES it. so idk. make sure you try it out first.

other guitars i'd recommend?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-Flying-V-?sku=517336

if you like the V shape... then i'd recommend going for that.
Quote by mp3stalin
as for the amp... perfect. spider III's are in my opinion just as good as any comparible amp by marshall or mesaboogie.

0.o

Just...no...

Edit: Mesa don't make a comparable amp. The only comparable Marshalls are the MGs and AVTs, which aren't good.
Quote by mp3stalin

Which Marshall or Mesa amps would you compare it with?
The Digitech RP350 has a lot of nice overdrive tones, and I dont think my parents will buy me another effects pedal. The heaviest tone im looking for is like black sabbath, which I can already get.
I don't really care about the shape of the guitar, just as long as it isn't horrible and has a bad tone. Could someone give me a link to a good tube combo?
Clicky

That's one. And should be able to get you as far as Sabbath with an overdrive, but may even be able to do it without one. I really wish I had the chance to play one of those things...but they don't have them over here in the UK
I'm not sure that I could use a little more than 5Watts, because I usually have my 15 watt cranked up all the way during Jazz Band.
Wow, there are so many things wrong with this thread. Spiders = no. MG's = no. Spending $700 on a guitar when you have a Fender Frontman amp = no.

+1 on that Crate V8. Great little amp. Add an Overdrive pedal, and you can cover most of the gain spectrum. Denthul is right, listen to him.
Quote by jfloyd1879
I'm not sure that I could use a little more than 5Watts, because I usually have my 15 watt cranked up all the way during Jazz Band.

but this one is a TUBE AMP (which are louder), try it youll see the difference...
plus when cranked all the way is when it really shines

but if you still need more power... i think someone here posted the "fender superchamp"... ive heard its really nice
Alright sweet! Now around $500 to get a guitar. Like I said, I don't care much about shape of body, and I'm looking for a Rock/Metal sound. Any help?
avoid bass wood and other cheap woods for the body on the guitar... of course youll need humbuckers... also avoid cheap FR copies.

the variety in that price range is too wide... go to the store and go nuts testing them all!!

edit: sorry i was too vage... ermm... ill go for a shecter C-1
Last edited by just17n8 at Oct 22, 2007,
Wow, that guitar looks amazing, and has incredible reviews. I'll definatley take that into consideration. Lol, my guitar teacher even has that guitar, but with duncan designed humbuckers.
there are cheaper versions of the C-1 btw... in case thats out of your price range
Two points:

The amp = **** (L6 SIII)

The guitar = **** (RR3)

Look at a cheap tube combo, and don't settle for less than a set neck.

The CS-1 should be awesome, and the V8 is along the right lines. Get a few models in mind.. V8, Peavey Windsor, Ashdown FA40... then get to a shop to try them. That's the only way you'll ever know. All are great amps, from a technical viewpoint, but the final tone decision is yours alone. Also, don't forget that you can switch out tubes and grab stomps to further augment your tone.
The amp = **** (L6 SIII)

The guitar = **** (RR3)

Huh?

And what is less than a set neck?
Quote by jfloyd1879
Huh?

And what is less than a set neck?

Sorry dude, ignore that.

I meant that you should at least look at guitars with set necks in your price range, like the CS-1.. instead of bolt-ons, like the RR3.

Schecters are fantastic guitars for the money, with the playability and versatility that you'd expect from more expensive instruments. A set necked, mahogany, SD-loaded CS-1 should suit you for almost any style that you may gravitate towards.
Quote by jfloyd1879

They're all great guitars, but if you can afford the extra, that might be best. Don't get me wrong, if you buy an entry C-1, you won' t be disappointed, but you might start getting gripes with parts after a few months.

A few points on that C-1 FR:
-I personally don't like bolt-ons, and the heels on the cheap C-1s tend to be pretty obtrusive. Any effect on sustain is arguable.

-Having tried plenty of the "Duncan Designed" pickups, I would never choose those over real SDs or my EMGs. I can't explain at all, but you can feel/hear the difference if you try a guitar with the SDs, then one with the DDs.

-I'm not a huge fan of Floyd Rose trems, but I can deal with them. The problem with cheaper guitars, is that they tend to have 'Licensed' Floyd Rose bridges, which are made until patent, by a bunch of manufacturers. Apart from the design, this gives no indication about the quality or stability. There's nothing worse than a BAD locking trem.

-Lastly, I'm fickle, and I LOVE binding etc. If you're spending that little bit extra, it's awesome to have something to show for it. Binding, funky inlays, quilted tops, all make your guitar feel that little bit more special.

Edit: The C-1 Hellraiser is an incredible guitar for the money. It's a bit more expensive, but still amazing value, compared to ESPs etc.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Oct 22, 2007,
I'd suggest you go with the Palomino V16. It's 15W, and will give you more than enough power to do what ever you want. The V8 might be a little louder than your Frontman, but not much. The V16 will blow it away. It'll be awesome in jazz band, too. Great cleans. It's an amp you can take all the way to small gigs, whereas the V8 will probably get drowned out in a band practice situation.

The amp is the most important part of your tone chain. The Squier will sound a lot better thru the Palomino than the Jackson will sound thru the FM.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I checked musciansfriend for the V16 and it's like $350. Theres no way if im on a $700 budget be able to afford that and a descent Schecter.
The amp is more important than the guitar. It's better to get a quality amp now -even if you blow the whole $700 on an amp- than to get something like the V8 which will struggle mightily in a band practice situation, and need to be upgraded soon.

If you're willing to look used, you should be able to find a 15W combo around $250 or less. Should be able to find a nice guitar that way for a lot less, too.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
You can get a decent guitar for 350.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG3EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=519784
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Damien-6-Electric-Guitar?sku=513102
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SZ320GD-Electric-Guitar?sku=517534
None of those guitars have great pickups, but you can swap those later. Until you do, stock pickups through a tube amp will sound heaps better than awesome pickups through a solid state.
But would it be louder then my Frontman? Because my frontman is JUST loud enough, but I need to have a lot of drive to boost the sound (for JazzBand.) So I am just looking for something that will be louder than my frontman without the use of OD.
It'll be about as loud as your FM. That's it.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
So pretty much a V16, and a RG3EXQM1?

Question: How much better is the RG3EXQM1 compared to the Schecter C-1 Plus?
Can you describe any downsides on both?
Quote by jfloyd1879
So pretty much a V16, and a RG3EXQM1?

Question: How much better is the RG3EXQM1 compared to the Schecter C-1 Plus?
Can you describe any downsides on both?

1- Different tonewoods - Schecter: Mahogany. Ibanez: Ash
2- Different Scale lengths - Schecter: 24.75 Ibanez 25.5
3- Different necks - Schecter necks have been described as having a baseball bat-like quality, while Ibanez necks are more like a sheet of paper.

Also, they look different (duh! but looks are important, aren't they?).
People underrate 5w valve amps IMO - when pushed by an external OD pedal they're absolutely perfect for band settings. You'll not get cleans, but it's way loud enough, at least my VJ is - I emailed Ted Weber and he said the signature Ceramic 8 has 96db sensitivity.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
People underrate 5w valve amps IMO - when pushed by an external OD pedal they're absolutely perfect for band settings. You'll not get cleans, but it's way loud enough, at least my VJ is - I emailed Ted Weber and he said the signature Ceramic 8 has 96db sensitivity.

I have a 5w ValveKing Royal 8, and it's more than capable of making my ears bleed. The only real problem with these amps, is the speaker size. The 8" speakers are perfect for practice situations, but lack enough bass response to compete with drums live, without a PA.
Page 1 of 2