There is a certain riff I can't figur out, which in tab usually consists of this basic shape:
----15-------------------15---------------------15-------------------------------------
---------18p15---------------18p15----------------18p15--------------------------
--------------------18--------------------18---------------------18--------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

etc. This type of riff I have seen in many solos, including Sweet Child O' Mine, Get the Funk Out, and Freebird. (The idea, of course, is to play it very fast.) What I can't figure out is the proper fingering and picking patterns required to pull it off with the correct speed. Any help here would be greatly appreciated...
Last edited by Taraalcar at Oct 22, 2007,
press on the 15th fret on both those strings with your index, then use your ring/pinky to do the pull offs on the 18th fret
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
The only problem I see with that is if you barred it, the notes would blend together if you had any kind of strong distortion.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by deepestpurple
1st finger g string
Third and fourth finger b
second e.

Well thats how i would do it.

just play it with your first and third fingers and remove them after you've played a note.
Quote by ChaoticVengence
press on the 15th fret on both those strings with your index, then use your ring/pinky to do the pull offs on the 18th fret

Well that's more or less the fingering I was doing. How about picking? Alternate picking seems to slow (or maybe I just need practice) and raking/sweeping run the notes together...
I'd pick it cleanly, not sweep. Shawn Lane would tell you not to barre with your index and to move it for each note. Sadly, we are not all Shawn Lane, and I tend to do precisely what he cautions against.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Quote by troyponce
I'd pick it cleanly, not sweep. Shawn Lane would tell you not to barre with your index and to move it for each note. Sadly, we are not all Shawn Lane, and I tend to do precisely what he cautions against.

I wouldn't personally, but it was a suggestion. I would go with barring it though.
I go to eleven..........
Just use you first and third finger and move them after each note. I would use alternate picking and ignore the pulloff at first. Other than that just start off slowly and work at it.