Im thinking about changing my tubes out in my 112 VK. Im looking for better cleans than it already has because i mainly just use pedals instead of the lead channel cus it sucks. Suggestions?
Instead of 12ax7 tubes for the preamp, if it uses those in fact, you could try 12au7 or 12at7 tubes. The 12au7 give some very nice clean tones in my opinion
Quote by cokeisbetter
There's a sticky, you know.

AHH sorry i totally forgot. i googled for stuff and nothing came up so i thought id mindlessly post. but can i switch out any tube for any tube ie 6l6's for some random groove tube?
Quote by leeej
AHH sorry i totally forgot. i googled for stuff and nothing came up so i thought id mindlessly post. but can i switch out any tube for any tube ie 6l6's for some random groove tube?

no.

6L6/EL84 must be replaced with a 6L6/EL84
EL84 with EL84

although 12AX7, 12AY7, 12AU7 etc are all interchangeable
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Last edited by mcw00t at Oct 22, 2007,
should i replace my preamp tubes or power tubes first for better cleans?
Quote by leeej
should i replace my preamp tubes or power tubes first for better cleans?

I would say preamp, personally

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
no.

6L6 must be replaced with a 6L6
EL34 with EL34
EL84 with EL84

although 12AX7, 12AY7, 12AU7 etc are all interchangeable

You're wrong.

Any amp with octal tube sockets can accept octal power tubes. To replace 6L6's with EL34's, you would have to rebias the amp (i dont know if valvekings have a fixed bias???) but thats all you have to do with most amps, some don't even require a rebias, they will automatically bias the amp for the given tubes(I.E. Mesa rectifiers). Depending on how you're amp is biased, you can put any octal power tube in.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Quote by V12prowler
You're wrong.

Any amp with octal tube sockets can accept octal power tubes. To replace 6L6's with EL34's, you would have to rebias the amp (i dont know if valvekings have a fixed bias???) but thats all you have to do with most amps, some don't even require a rebias, they will automatically bias the amp for the given tubes(I.E. Mesa rectifiers). Depending on how you're amp is biased, you can put any octal power tube in.

hmm...I'm pretty sure you can't...otherwise you'd need to replace the input and output transformers because the tubes would be delivering and drawing a different amount of power

EDIT: Mesa don't actually re-bias automatically, just the Mesa tubes are only branded mesa if they are close enough to the set biasing of their amps

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
hmm...I'm pretty sure you can't...otherwise you'd need to replace the input and output transformers because the tubes would be delivering and drawing a different amount of power

That's what biasing is for, it adjusts the idle current drawn by the tube. I've put 6V6's in my HRD and used them for about 6 months, only switching back because i needed the clean headroom back. Marshall JCM800's and 900's came with both 6L6's and EL34's in them in the 80's and 90's.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Quote by V12prowler
That's what biasing is for, it adjusts the idle current drawn by the tube. I've put 6V6's in my HRD and used them for about 6 months, only switching back because i needed the clean headroom back. Marshall JCM800's and 900's came with both 6L6's and EL34's in them in the 80's and 90's.

I know the IDLE current, and my mistake about the 6L6's, they can be changed with EL34's, but not with 6V6's.

the whole idea of biasing is to ensure that the tube responds linearly for the maximum amplitude

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
6L6's CAN be changed with 6V6's, on the JJ 6V6's though because others cant handle the plate voltage of an amp designed for 6L6's. I have done this before. I'm just saying he can put 6L6's, EL34's, KT66's, KT88's, or E34L's in his amp. And the mesa thing, there is a switch on the back of rectos that rebias' for different tubes.
Quote by R_H_C_P

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Quote by V12prowler
6L6's CAN be changed with 6V6's, on the JJ 6V6's though because others cant handle the plate voltage of an amp designed for 6L6's. I have done this before. I'm just saying he can put 6L6's, EL34's, KT66's, KT88's, or E34L's in his amp. And the mesa thing, there is a switch on the back of rectos that rebias' for different tubes.

kk then, sorry about the confusion. I'm not really familiar with the rectos, just i know on most of their amps they don't have an adjustable bias, and only brand tubes that fit their strict regulations

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX