I'm buying a new guitar pretty soon, and I'm debating if I should get a 7 string or not. I will only get a 7 string if I can still play all the songs I normally play.

I know that the normal tuning for a 7 string is BEADGBE. Currently, I play mostly in CGCFAD and DADGBE. How would I have to tune the 7 string, so I could still play these songs without making having a 7 string completely useless?

I hope I'm making sense. I love how heavy the 7 string sounds, and I'd love to use that to make the stuff I normally play sound heavier. I just don't know how.

For example, since I play in drop tuning I can just play

e------------------
B------------------
G------------------
D---0-------------
A---0-------------
E---0-------------

Would this work on a 7 string, or would I not use the bottom string...
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Oct 22, 2007,
Just use it in standard BEADGbe, or AEADGBE. That way you can still hit all the same notes as the other tuning and beyond.

On a seven that chord would be like this(assuming you were using drop D):
e------------------
B------------------
G------------------
D-----------------
A----5-------------
E----5-------------
B----3--------------
or in drop A:
e------------------
B------------------
G------------------
D-----------------
A----5-------------
E----5-------------
A----5--------------
Last edited by Ibanez Junkie at Oct 22, 2007,
sound heavier than drop d or c. thats pretty darn heavy. imo which im sure u wont listen to, i dont think u need a seven string, unless u like korn, fear factory etc trying to do those bands songs. if you wanna sound heavier 6 strings do the job.

but what you could do is tune it so the 7th string is the same as the 6th eg.
for drop d u cud do dDAdGBE or cCGcFAD. i think you would be changing the note otherwise
Ibanez RG1570
Randall RG75G3
EHX Metal Muff
buy the 7 string you think think you will use the extra range.

if you just want to downtune 5 steps, simply set up your 6 string with 13-56 gauge and tune to BEADF#B

edit:
or i guess since you play in drop AEADF#B
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
When I want like Drop D along with the Low B dropped, I use GDADGBd. You can tune the high d up to E if you prefer.

ADADGBe is also possible.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
When I want like Drop D along with the Low B dropped, I use GDADGBd.

that must sound really, REALLY badass heavy
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
that must sound really, REALLY badass heavy

yeah(tried it once) its almost like playing a bass, but the strings are too floppy to do anything decent. unless you put on bass strings instead.

IMO, best drop tuning is ADADGBE.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
The thing is, a lot of songs I like are in Drop D/Drop D one step down, but a few songs I love are played with a 7 string. I want to be able to play both ^-^

*edit*

Well, those song songs aren't played with a 7 string but they are in Drop B tuning. I might as well get a 7 string then right?
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
The thing is, a lot of songs I like are in Drop D/Drop D one step down, but a few songs I love are played with a 7 string. I want to be able to play both ^-^

*edit*

Well, those song songs aren't played with a 7 string but they are in Drop B tuning. I might as well get a 7 string then right?

The beaty of a 7 string is youcan play drop b, drop D, B standard etc...withut changing the tunings.
If your okay doin powercords instead of mini-bar chords, then you can pretty much do any song on a 7 string.

I play killswitch engage all day on my 7 string and their in drop C, then i move onto slipknot(drop B), dream theater(varies), megadeth(usually standard or half step down), korn(A standard, but you can do most of the fun stuff in B standard) and metallica(standard) all without ever changing my tuning. Its ultra convenient
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
If you get a hardtail 7 string. Then just drop the E string if you want to play drop D. But Drop C will require too much effort.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by p.stick
If you get a hardtail 7 string. Then just drop the E string if you want to play drop D. But Drop C will require too much effort.

Drop C is easy to do. If the base note of the 6th string drop C on a 6 string is C then thats the 1st fret of the 7th string B on a 7 string.

Of course, you could do loads of crazy stuff like tune the 6 strings down to drop C and tune the B string up to C to get crazy chorus effects like wes borland used to do on some of his stuff.

Same goes for Drop D. Just play it using the 3rd fret on the B string. Ah...I love 7 strings..

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Oct 23, 2007,
Quote by DagMX
yeah(tried it once) its almost like playing a bass, but the strings are too floppy to do anything decent. unless you put on bass strings instead.

IMO, best drop tuning is ADADGBE.

It sounds good if you play single string rhyhms, chords sound kinda flabby.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio