Page 1 of 3
Synthetic biology. What are your views on this research. For those of you who do not know, synbio is the creation on new organisms by building genes for them from scratch. This means that helpful bacteria such as the malaria vaccine (which is now quite difficult to get hold of in Africa) would be cheap and available. It also means that we could make tree leaves black to increase photosyntesis and therefore rebuild alot of the rainforests that humans have destoyed. In general it could make the world a lot better in many ways.
However, it also opens the doors for terror. If this sort of technology fell into the wrong hands (which it easily would due the fact that it is intended to be a university subject, and is relatively easy to do), people could create all sorts of harmful/lethal bacteria which could, with no hint of exaggeration, wipe out the humaln race, as bacteria multiply rapidly (one of the fastest organisms on earth) and sre extraordianarioy difficult to destroy completely. So basicaly in the wrong hands somebody could threaten the whole worlds exsistance. It is claimed that these studies will be able to do this by the year 2020.
So what are your opinions, not that it matters much, because no matter how much protestation there is about this, there is no chance in hell that scientists could possibly ignore the world that this sort of engineering would open up.
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
So, if the 'bio-terrorists' engineer a flesh-eating bacteria, can't we just engineer a flesh-eating-bacteria-eating-and-human-flesh-restoring bacteria to counter it?

Honestly, I think we should just let nature do the work. We've ****ed with the planet enough. There are natural remedies for natural diseases.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
So, if the 'bio-terrorists' engineer a flesh-eating bacteria, can't we just engineer a flesh-eating-bacteria-eating-and-human-flesh-restoring bacteria to counter it?

Who dat?
Well, not the whole world.

Just about 50-60% of it or so.

I think the best way of countering this is to continue pursuing terrorist groups and put more research into cures and early warning systems.

If a single bacteria could by engineered to kill a person in 10 minutes, I'm willing to bet that another bacteria could be engineered to save a life in 20.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
the end of the world wouldnt be so bad, just to us humans. and if we weren't around, teh earth would have time to heal :3
I gotta agree with Muphin. Anything a bio-terrorist could make, we could counter. Countless lives would be lost in the process, but thats no different than now. And we would reap a lot more benefit for the good.
Does that mean they can make spiders that can pass on superpowers through its bites?
This is the way the world ends
.... Not with a bang, but a whimper.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by Alex The Red
Well, not the whole world.

Just about 50-60% of it or so.

I think the best way of countering this is to continue pursuing terrorist groups and put more research into cures and early warning systems.

If a single bacteria could by engineered to kill a person in 10 minutes, I'm willing to bet that another bacteria could be engineered to save a life in 20.

How can you possibly think it is that simple? The bacteria wuld take a relatively long time to engineer, possibly months, and by that time we would all be dead. Also what grounds do you have for saying that only 50-60% of the world would be killed?
Quote by Muphin
There are natural remedies for natural diseases.

Are we a natural disaster?
Quote by MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:

"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"

The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
Not new... and we're not stoping any one who wants to use it for the wrong reasons by not using it ourselves.
All technology comes with risks, get used to it. Name a single object that can't be used to hurt some one.
Bah, in May 2008 they're creating a black hole on Earth.

I'll worry about that more than potential germs in 2020.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Muphin

Honestly, I think we should just let nature do the work. We've ****ed with the planet enough. There are natural remedies for natural diseases.

+1

lets stop playing god k?
Quote by Malakian=God
How can you possibly think it is that simple? The bacteria wuld take a relatively long time to engineer, possibly months, and by that time we would all be dead. Also what grounds do you have for saying that only 50-60% of the world would be killed?

About as much grounds as you saying that 100% of the world would be wiped out. It is all speculative at the moment.
Terms and Conditions apply.
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?

sounds familiar, where have i heard that from? ah well, o' discordia, the world ends in darkness...
Quote by Muphin

No, again it is not that simple. Just because a bacteria is created does not mean that an "anti-bacteria" could be craeted. Take cancer as an example. Just because we know what the symtoms of cancer are does not mean we can cure it, only slow the process, and look how long it has taken to get to this point.
Captain Planet, He's Our Hero.
Interested in Japan? Join the Club. PM me or Kurt-Corgan.
Quote by PieceOfMind666

Haha, that was an epic pic battle. you are a worthy opponent

The end of the world is here already.

Ebaums and half the Chan sites are down..what more proof do you need?
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by Ragnarock
Does that mean they can make spiders that can pass on superpowers through its bites?

/retardation

if synthetic bio were to be brought around, it could heal vast amounts of problems, but like you said, open doors to new ones.

and even the most clinically insane person wouldn't think of trying to destroy the entire human race entirely. it's just not that way.

could you imagine 50% of the world's rainforests being replenished?
think of how much healthier the world would be just through that.
or a bacteria being made that could sustain forests being created in deserts...
oh the possibilities!!!

i just interested myself in synth bio now in a vast amount....
Quote by Dinkydaisy

Yeah, that's just asking to go wrong imo

"Hey guys, where should we make a gravitational entity that is capable of sucking in anything including light?"
"Just do it in the kitchen Al, but don't make a mess"
ohai little sig.
Quote by cagnius
About as much grounds as you saying that 100% of the world would be wiped out. It is all speculative at the moment.

So basically you just pulled that random number out of the air? Whereas I have justifiable proof that, unless this process/experimentation is stopped there is a CHANCE that it could be the end for human civilisation. By no stretch of the imaginaton am I saying that this is definately going to happen, because nobody anywere knows exactly what is going to happen.
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
/retardation
and even the most clinically insane person wouldn't think of trying to destroy the entire human race entirely. it's just not that way.

I disagree, there are plenty of megalomaniacs out there that would destroy the entire human race. and i'm sure there are many misanthropes wiling to help them, too.
Quote by Dinkydaisy

yeah, how do they have the right to put the whole worlds fate at risk? goddamn scientists...
i agree. for every bioweapon created, it'll take, with gov't resources less time to make the antidote then time taken to make the weapon, and therefore i must say, on with bioengineering.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by Godsmack_IV
yeah, how do they have the right to put the whole worlds fate at risk? goddamn scientists...

where ya'll getting this information from, i feel the need to educate myself about it
Quote by Dinkydaisy

Seriously?

You got anymore info on that? I'm just curious..

I don't really want to die in the month of my 17th birthday
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

Quote by glm
Hopefully some UGer's are immune to Captain Tripps.

bwahahaha... love that book. movie wasnt that good, though. man, if something like that comes along, i'm definantly going to call it captain tripps. anywho, the prospect at being one of the last remaining humans thrills me, but i must ask: who's side would you take? Mother abigail or Randaal Flagg? discuss
Quote by toshiro umezewa
where ya'll getting this information from, i feel the need to educate myself about it

I remember there being a thread about it way back. google it.
Quote by toshiro umezewa
bwahahaha... love that book. movie wasnt that good, though. man, if something like that comes along, i'm definantly going to call it captain tripps. anywho, the prospect at being one of the last remaining humans thrills me, but i must ask: who's side would you take? Mother abigail or Randaal Flagg? discuss

Mother Abigail because then I don't die. Duh.

EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider#Safety_concerns_and_assurances

I exaggerated a wee bit with black holes, so don't get excited. But it could potentially destroy the universe.

-Matthew Arnold

Last edited by Dinkydaisy at Oct 22, 2007,
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
/retardation

if synthetic bio were to be brought around, it could heal vast amounts of problems, but like you said, open doors to new ones.

could you imagine 50% of the world's rainforests being replenished?
think of how much healthier the world would be just through that.
or a bacteria being made that could sustain forests being created in deserts...
oh the possibilities!!!

i just interested myself in synth bio now in a vast amount....

In no way am I saying that there are not unlimited possibilities that could be created through the use of this, simply trying to point out that if it were to get into the wrong hands it is potentially deadly. Think of those people who flew the planes into the twin towers (lets not get into conspiracy theories here, and im sorry that I cant recall the religion or group who were claimed to have done it), who believe that their life is worth giving, and will only get to their "heaven" by killing many christians. These are the sort of people who would destroy everybody, including themselves if they were given the opportunity.
Quote by toshiro umezewa

Abigail.

Flagg may have had an advantage in the beginning..but he lost in the end. Though he didn't die.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Don't Panic Ok?

Ah The Hollow Men, glad to see someone else appreciates that stanza as much as I do
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Ah The Hollow Men, glad to see someone else appreciates that stanza as much as I do

hmm, who wrote that? and i must ask- your sig, is it from Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time series?
Quote by seek_&_destroy
i agree. for every bioweapon created, it'll take, with gov't resources less time to make the antidote then time taken to make the weapon, and therefore i must say, on with bioengineering.

Ok, lets say it takes 10 years to create the initial gene. Yay! our government only takes 5 years, but wait... it takes a mere, lets say 2 months for this bcteria to wipe out the human race.
Therefore i must say, stop with synthetic biology (not bioengineering, I think you missed the point/topic)

And can we please keep the discussion relevant, and not about black holes and were we can find info on them. If you dont have an opinion/theory/question on synbio then dont post.
Thanks
I think you'll find I posted an opinion, and then answered someone when they asked me for more information.

Don't be so anal.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by Dreadnought
It's the end of The Hollow Men by T.S. Eliot.

My sig is an adaptation of a Japanese proverb, I saw this interpretation being used by an Army Ranger.

ah, ok. I guess Jordan must have gotten from that Proverb. anywho, back to the subject-

I think it's great that they're producing synbio, i'm all for the advancement of the sciences.

Edit: I knew that poem sounded familiar. There was something about it in the Dark Tower series from Stephen King
synbio just seems like it's an easy way out of the problems we have and will probably **** us over even more. changing the genetic code of a species (like the trees for instance) isn't natural and could have serious repercussions.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
synbio just seems like it's an easy way out of the problems we have and will probably **** us over even more. changing the genetic code of a species (like the trees for instance) isn't natural and could have serious repercussions.

Just say you, and millions more, had a terminal disesase that synbio could cure, would you still be against it?
Page 1 of 3