I need some advice. I love my Schecter DamienFR but i want to do some mods to it. im getting a skull airbrushed on it, and while im almost at the point of taking it apart i still havent decided if there is anything else i want to do to it. The main thing on my mind is making it a KH-4(the hammet sig with the pearloid pickguiard) clone. I found the pickguard/EMG combo on the web for like 200 bucks. the only problem is my Damien has a carved top! can i sand it down? will my guitar sound like ass butter? any help would be appreciated!
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
I definately wouldn't sand it down to a flat top. Not only would it make the guitar much thinner, but it would mean you'd be sanding down into the control cavity and making the pickup cavities, neck pocket and route for the FR shallower, plus IMO carved top guitars look so much better (well, mostly) than flat tops, and (again, IMO), just about any guitar with an HH pickup configuration doesn't look as good with a pickguard on it.

I'm not trying to kill your creative thought and interest in customizing, but it would just be much easier to buy a different body that'd be fit for this customization, or just go with getting the skull airbrushed and putting in the EMGs, and forget the pickguard.
yea i might just warmoth an RG type body at some point and start there. that 7 string looks great by the way! any mod looking to kill a thread can strart here. James has it right.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL