Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster! Been thinking about getting a guitar for ages and now that I've got some cash to spare, and with Christmas coming up too, I thought it would be great to take the plunge. (Must be a mid life crisis or something...)

Anyway, my first intention was to get a starter pack but after reading a few things about them, I've decided against that idea and now want to get each item on its own. So basically, I have got my choices down to:

Guitar - Epi Les Paul Studio
Amp - Vox AD15VT

The total price comes out to be about £350 for both and I wondered if any of you guys would know if that's reasonable or if I can get them any cheaper? Also, do you think that my choices are ok for a beginner? I had thought about the LP Special II, which is half the price of the studio, but it looked a bit cheap to me and I didn't want to buy it only to want an upgrade later on as that goes against my Scottish upbringing! I had also thought about the Microcube as an amp but that's only 2W and I wanted something with a bit more oomph in it, even though I will only be using it in my house.

What do you think? Any help in tweaking my choices would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

G
Big Team, Big Cup, wee team, wee cup.
i think thats a great first set up!

like with anything, shop around, you might find some sites that rip you off, or you might just find one that has it all stupidly cheap
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Stupidly cheap would be good!

Cheers.
That's a brilliant set up for a beginner. What I suggest is if you can find a guitar or amp a bit out of your price range and then see if you can haggle it down. If you can't do that, see if they can throw in some leads, picks and a case with it.
buy your first guitar used - it will be already broken in, and you will save some dough (usually ~30% off sale price).

an epiphone is a decent first guitar if u want it to look like a gibson..

i reccomend a yamaha. they're very underrated instruments for a wonderful price.
^yeah, used guitars are not to be underestimated!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Finding a second hand guitar close to home is going to be tough I reckon. We don't have many pawn shops round about here and there's only about 2 guitar shops too. But I'll certainly keep my eye open.

Cheers for the replies.

G
I bought myself a second hand epi SG and I'm really happy about it. I don't have pawn shop anywhere near me and the closest guitar shop is full of stuff I can get cheaper elsewhere, so I drove about 80km to get the guitar though sometimes it is worth the gasoline!

Yamaha RBX A2
Ampeg BA600-115 1 x 15 Bass Combo
I usually recommend the Yamaha Pacifica as a first guitar - it's more versatile than an LP and the scale length is probably a bit more comfortable for a beginner. I started with one, and I still play it regularly!
What sort of music do you plan on playing? That's a really important factor when looking for any new gear...

As for an amp, see if you can track down something from the Peavey TransTube range. These have a fantastic tone for the price, and are loud enough that you could use them for jamming or gigging in the future. The Rage or Envoy are probably your best bet. Good alternatives include the Roland Cubes (best for heavier tones), or the Vox AD series (better for classic blues and rock sounds).
Quote by kyle62
I usually recommend the Yamaha Pacifica as a first guitar - it's more versatile than an LP and the scale length is probably a bit more comfortable for a beginner. I started with one, and I still play it regularly!
What sort of music do you plan on playing?

I have looked at quite a few different types of guitar over the past few weeks but I really really really like the style of a Les Paul. As for music, well I'll be wanting to learn as many GNR songs as possible as well as some others like the Manics, Muse and (don't flame me!) Green Day...