http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5719233,00.html

Heres a summery from Wiki:

In May of 2007, the ACLU blasted the school's administration for seizing student's cell phones, reading their text messages, and in at least one case, impersonating a student and sending texts from his phone.

According to a story in the Boulder Daily Camera, On May 24, a school security officer brought a sophomore to see Assistant Principal Drew Adams because the student was suspected of breaking two school rules — being in a prohibited parking lot and smoking cigarettes. The student was cleared of having no cigarettes in his pockets or backpack. However, Adams then took the student's cell phone, calling it a 'distraction,' and later told the student he had read text messages that made some "incriminating" mentions of marijuana.

The student's mother learned Adams had written down text messages from her son's phone, and when she asked for the phone back, she said Adams insisted on keeping it over the Memorial Day weekend. When the phone eventually was returned, the student's mother discovered Adams had attempted to send messages to her son's friends, posing as the student. However, these texts were never sent due to the studen'ts mother cancelling the phone's service over the weekend.

After the first phone was taken, other student phones were seized, and more teens were interrogated in a similar fashion. Texts were read and transcripted, then put in the students' disciplinary files.

According to a Colorado telephone-privacy statute, it's a felony to read, seize, copy or record a phone or electronic communication without the consent of the sender or receiver. Silverstein said administrators also violated students' constitutional right prohibiting unreasonable searches and seizures."

What does UG think about this? Not only is it quite literally a felony to read peoples texts, which the school administration has done pretty liberally, its also in at least one case, attempted identity theft and fraud.

This is a school in my district, too. What ever happens will set a legal precedent for the entire country, but its going to affect this district the most.
That in no way in my opinion can be justified!!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
screw legal precedents and statutes and laws and stuff, common sense says it's not nice to use other people's cell phones unless they let you.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Well I do not think this will make it to the supreme court, not even the supreme court of your district for that matter. It appears that there was no probable cause due to safety issues to read the text messages, therefore this is a clear example of a violation of rights. The law will stay as is and this is an example of an administrator doing something stupid.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
teachers at my school do this.

I'm considering printing this out and showing it to them next time a teacher thinks he / shes being funny...
Quote by soccermom
Of course eating unbelievable amounts of anything can probably harm you, but i chose bananas because they look like willies.
Make sure to print out what happens to the school legally.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
They should sue.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by MedicreDemon
They should sue.

Damn straight. Clearly a violation of the law.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by MedicreDemon
They should sue.

thats why the fanatical aclu is on the case my friend
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
That happened to me in seventh grade! My phone went off during class, so my teacher took it from me. She had every right to do that, since phones aren't allowed in the classroom, so that was my fault not hers. BUT, I had four unread texts and two unheard voicemails when she took the phone. Also, I turned the phone off before handing it to her. Later that day when I got the phone back they were all listened to/opened and the phone was powered on. I asked if she had gone through my messages, and she said "Yes, but I'm your teacher. Now go before you miss the bus." ....Yes, she's my teacher, but is that legal?

I play piano and guitar.
Do you play piano?
Add me.
:]
Quote by raindropsXroses
Later that day when I got the phone back they were all listened to/opened and the phone was powered on. I asked if she had gone through my messages, and she said "Yes, but I'm your teacher. Now go before you miss the bus." ....Yes, she's my teacher, but is that legal?

Its actually a felony and violates several state and federal laws regarding privacy of information and communication. Its essentially like the school forcing you to let them read a letter you received in the mail.
No its not legal.

And that principal deserves to be fired / tried for the felony
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by Masonpwiley
Schools violate your constitutional rights all the time.

I find it rather ironic that the first place we learn about the constitution and bill of rights is the only place in America where they don't apply. In fact in many cases the administration can violate them completely off of school grounds, as well.

Quote by Guitarist132
No its not legal.

And that principal deserves to be fired / tried for the felony

The entire school administration needs to be sued for allowing and encouraging this behavior. I'm honestly ashamed my school is in the same district as these idiots.
Last edited by NorseGodofRock at Oct 22, 2007,
Oh well. Worse stuff happens in the world than a poor little rich american kiddie getting their texts read.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Oh well. Worse stuff happens in the world than a poor little rich american kiddie getting their texts read.

+82534587437634

ive had my phone taken at school, they gave it back, i called the school during classes for a month, you could hear the phone ringing endlessly

my parents dont even know, best way is....get even =P
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Quote by the_extremist00

ive had my phone taken at school, they gave it back, i called the school during classes for a month, you could hear the phone ringing endlessly

my parents dont even know, best way is....get even =P

Getting your phone taken is one thing and not that big a deal. Getting your private mail read and being impersonated by your vice principal is quite another.

Smart idea though!