Sorry, this is probably a bit of a noob question but I am self taught on the guitar and guitar theory. so how do I fit pentatonic scales and licks into a song.

So I am in Gmin, what pentatonic scales can I use in Gmin and on top of what chord?

it would also help if you could tell me the same for a song in the major key.

thanks
Quote by deaththrashcore
Actually, you could let her starve herself to death, then no matter what you do she won't complain. Necrophilia = the best kind of philia.

Only God can make a minor 2nd sound good.

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker
If you're in G minor, you can use the G minor pentatonic scale. There are a number of ways to fit pentatonic licks into a song. Check out guys like Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan.
If you're in G minor, you can use Gm pentatonic, Cm pentatonic, and Dm pentatonic.
The way that you can figure this out is to think of pentatonic scales as 7-note scales with 2 notes left out. The formula for the minor pentatonic scale is (1-b3-4-5-b7).
If you look at each mode of the major scale, you can see which modes contain those intervals.
So, here are the modes of G minor/Bb major:
Bb ionian: Bb-C-D-Eb-F-G-A (1-2-3-4-5-6-7)
C dorian: C-D-Eb-F-G-A-Bb (1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7)
D phrygian: D-Eb-F-G-A-Bb-C (1-b2-b3-4-5-b6-b7)
Eb lydian: Eb-F-G-A-Bb-C-D (1-2-3-#4-5-6-7)
F mixolydian: F-G-A-Bb-C-D-Eb (1-2-3-4-5-6-b7)
G aeolian: G-A-Bb-C-D-Eb-F (1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7)
A locrian: A-Bb-C-D-Eb-F-G (1-b2-b3-4-b5-b6-b7)

The intervals of the minor pentatonic scale can be found in the dorian, phrygian, and aeolian modes of the major scales, so if you're playing over a progression in G minor, you can play pentatonic scales built from those modes without much worry of playing "out."
^ He pretty much summed it up but heres my two cents.

When going under a chord progression and you want to try something new, lets say A ionian (over an A Maj Chord or a II-IV-I progression) You can limit the notes to a pentatonic Major (second mode of pentatonic minor) and add in a few notes of ionian here and there for effect.

EDIT:
On a standard blues progression (hopefully you know the 12 bar blues prog) you can use the scale co-responding to the chord, for example:

| F7 | F7 | F7 | F7 | Bb7 | Bb7 | F7 | F7 | C7 | Bb7 | F7 | F7 |

F Dominant_____Bb dom___F dom_Cdom Bbdom__Fdom

So: The F blues scale would be you're main scale, but you can use the scales i mentioned above to keep it interesting. If you want me to explain further or clear something up PM me.
The only things we hate are those things we try to hide from others.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by Carmel
Either way, I don't think bananas should be placed in such proximity to an ass

I disagree. Bananas and ass are like peaches and cream.
Last edited by SuPaGrAm at Oct 22, 2007,
Thanks guys

helped a lot
Quote by deaththrashcore
Actually, you could let her starve herself to death, then no matter what you do she won't complain. Necrophilia = the best kind of philia.

Only God can make a minor 2nd sound good.

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker