hi guys , i just get my new guitar 2 weeks ago (epi les paul) but i have a problem, i dont know what to play i just got a little bored of playing covers and i want to make some compositions but i cant i dont know why...
have you ever been in my place , what do you do?? give me please some tips or advices for making my own songs or some really good songs to play or learn or just put what happened to you .
thanks
Practice techniques and mutate the lessons to form your own thing. Music has its own kind of evolution, and todays music wouldnt be here if it wasnt for the guys before them. Take what you know, and apply it.
Just fiddle around with riffs until you find one that you like and branch out on that
My Gear:
Gibson Flying V (active Emg's 81, 85)
Peavey 6505 Amp

Avatar Cab /w Vintage 30's / G12H-30's
Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer
Roland Cube 60
how long have you been playing?

http://www.jamcenter.com/jammachinea.html

go there. click on a music style. the same group of chords will loop over and over. then click on a suggested scale (in green)
after you do, notes pop up that go with the group of chords.

start improvising.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Just mess around. You'd be surprised of the things you can think of when you're just doodling around.
I have been playing for about 5 years. And for the first 4.5, i knew i would never be able to write my own stuff because i thought that all the good stuff has already been written. When i moved, i get a band going, and i think that i write some pretty cool stuff. So, yea, i have been in your shoes.

Writing is like puberty.....it must come to you.
Quote by Hammett5
Just fiddle around with riffs until you find one that you like and branch out on that

yea do that...works all the time
also, if you can take time and learn scales...that will help riffs alot too
I probably do it backwards but I usually write lyrics first. Something that has happened in my life, political protest, or some gal who done me wrong. The music seems to flow from that.
^yeah, see what u've done? now i'll need to hear this done me wrong, song.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^Don't ladies write "dude that done me wrong" songs?
I have two versions sometimes, one x-rated and one pg.
yeah seriously, play around with some riffs, try to learn the notes on the guitar. go buy a scale book. try to write your own stuff. if you still can't do it, then set your guitar down for a while and pickup it up when you feel like your ready to make your own compositions. you need to gain experience before making your own songs, just mess around, learn a bunch of chords and scales. At least learn the freaking pentatonic minor scale, that can help a lot.