So I have to say I am no wiz at writing music, I have the ideas in my head, but no means of writing it down. As a bass player in my band, I write bass lines, and little else. Though I find my self wanting to write guitar parts to go along with these lines. Is there anyway of determining a chord, using the bass as a root note/note in the chord.
Yes, basicly you jst do what you said.

If your playing a C not for example the guitar could be playing a C chord and it would work. It could also be playing an A chord with the bass playing a different voicing of the chord. There are many different possibilities depending on what sound you want.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
That's exactly it - most bass players play whatever the guitarist is playing - but if the bassist has any real talent (like flea for example) the bass is loosely reliant on the guitars and just adds a special feel as well as extra depth to the song.
Find out what the key of the song is, and write out the chords in that key. Then see if the bass notes lean towards the root of any of those chords, or outline other notes of them. You might have some chromatic passing notes between chord tones.
Quote by blue_strat
Find out what the key of the song is, and write out the chords in that key. Then see if the bass notes lean towards the root of any of those chords, or outline other notes of them. You might have some chromatic passing notes between chord tones.

Yeah listen to him.
If you know major scale and some basic chord theory, you should find out in which scale are notes, and which chords you should outline really fast.
If don't, RTFS .

And the rest there is on the rhythm and you phrasing!
And don't be afraid to use some chromatics from time to time.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.